Chukwu, the ultimate rim protector | Syracusefan.com

Chukwu, the ultimate rim protector

I like the comment on the 1:30 mark in the video below. 21 feet of coverage!

Jim Boeheim will have good options for Syracuse basketball despite just 8 players (video)
Some interesting lineups there, with a really long rotation (FH and Battle up top and PC in the middle) and some options for small ball. It's nice to have a player as versatile as TL ... who can play and defend 3 positions.

I still think we need some depth -- both in scoring and rebounding -- if we're going to compete for an ACC title or make another deep tourney run.

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty much. But it was fun to think about Chukwu being a super hero rim protector.
It's not a fantasy. Having that kind of size in the middle of the zone ... will be special. It's not universal, but often great things have happened in program history when we've had a functional 7 footer in the middle. Off the top of my head: 1987 (Seikely); 1996 (Otis Hill but Reafsnyder backing up), 2003 (Forth), 2012 (Fab). We have a nucleus ... hopefully we'll add some depth to it in the coming weeks.

Last edited:
Apparently Roberson is out of the doghouse. He never came off the floor in any of the lineups!

What about the press line up?

Roberson on the ball
Chukwu at the rim
Battle, Gillon, Howard chasing people around

We certainly have versatility in that we can play multiple guys at different positions but we have no true small forwards on the roster and only three scholarship guards. I like the group of guys, I think we will be better shooting the 3 than most seem to but i expect our overall FG% will be pretty good with multiple guys who can attack off the bounce and all of our size. Still we are thin with only 8 players and 3 guards no way to deny that.

Last edited:
Apparently Roberson is out of the doghouse. He never came off the floor in any of the lineups!

I think Roberson is going to have a different kind of attitude this season. I really think he was a little burnt out. Now he's got the end of the tunnel in site and his NBA hopes on the line. He's going to be springing around like a maniac gobbling up rebounds.

Last edited:

Roberson on the ball
Chukwu at the rim

We certainly have versatility in that we can play multiple guys at different positions but we have no true small forwards on the roster and only three scholarship guards. I like the group of guys, I think we will be better shooting the 3 than most seem to but i expect our overall FG% will be pretty good multiple guys who can attack off the bounce and all of our size. Still we are thin with only 8 players and 3 guards no way to deny that.

Press lineup:

Donna Ditota
Mike Waters
Chris Carlson
Matt Goodman
Jeff Irvine

Roberson on the ball
Chukwu at the rim

We certainly have versatility in that we can play multiple guys at different positions but we have no true small forwards on the roster and only three scholarship guards. I like the group of guys, I think we will be better shooting the 3 than most seem to but i expect our overall FG% will be pretty good with multiple guys who can attack off the bounce and all of our size. Still we are thin with only 8 players and 3 guards no way to deny that.

I wonder if Moyer has more quickness (or at least equivalent) than Roberson? If he did, you could put him in the press lineup to protect Roberson from ticky tack fouls. Gillon should be perfect to disrupt in a press situation and Chukwu would be great in the back. Heck Lydon did great in the back of it, but I wouldn't want to risk fouls with him if it could be avoided.

We have a very promising 8-man rotation this coming season. I can't wait to see them in action. The problem is that we also have an 8-man team with zero depth. There are always situations that come up: foul trouble, injuries, etc.

We have a very promising 8-man rotation this coming season. I can't wait to see them in action. The problem is that we also have an 8-man team with zero depth. There are always situations that come up: foul trouble, injuries, etc.

The two main issues I see with the roster as it currently stands:
  • Lack of backcourt depth [only three guards currently]
  • Lack of a true 3
Would LOVE to land another graduate transfer combo or shooting guard, just to round out our rotation.

• Lack of a true 3
Exactly. I think our 3 guard rotation will be a very solid one. But what about an injury to one? Big time problem.

I wonder if Moyer has more quickness (or at least equivalent) than Roberson? If he did, you could put him in the press lineup to protect Roberson from ticky tack fouls. Gillon should be perfect to disrupt in a press situation and Chukwu would be great in the back. Heck Lydon did great in the back of it, but I wouldn't want to risk fouls with him if it could be avoided.

You should see how fast he moves when he plays this one:

• Lack of a true 3
Would LOVE to land another graduate transfer combo or shooting guard, just to round out our rotation.

- Backcourt depth is a concern but it's an issue we've had in a lot of recent seasons. I don't remember many JB teams playing a 4th guard, or even having one for practice. This doesn't mean it's not a problem, it is, but it's at least a familiar problem.

- I think Lydon is as much a true SF as many we've had. I don't know how good his ballhandling is because he didn't get much chance to show it off last season, but I'm hard pressed to think of things DNic, Kris Joseph, CJ Fair (kinda a PF), etc. could do that Lydon can't.

- Backcourt depth is a concern but it's an issue we've had in a lot of recent seasons. I don't remember many JB teams playing a 4th guard, or even having one for practice. This doesn't mean it's not a problem, it is, but it's at least a familiar problem.

- I think Lydon is as much a true SF as many we've had. I don't know how good his ballhandling is because he didn't get much chance to show it off last season, but I'm hard pressed to think of things DNic, Kris Joseph, CJ Fair (kinda a PF), etc. could do that Lydon can't.

Hmmm... not sure I agree with much of either of your conclusions. We've had PLENTY of teams that have had fourth guards. I don't disagree that these guys don't often log significant minutes, that our backcourt rotation tends to go deeper than 3, that is hasn't been a frustrating problem dating back to 2013 -- those are the points of your post I agree with -- but I'm thinking big picture here. Having three guards isn't good for practice, because you can't field two legitimate units to scrimmage. Let alone as emergency depth if one gets injured, or has an academic issue, etc. No doubt, we're going to ride it out with three and cross our fingers that nobody gets injured, but I'd sure feel a lot better about the roster balance if we had a fourth scholarship guard.

I also don't know that I agree that Lydon is a "true' small forward, let alone one of the better ones we've had. My opinion only, but it is going to be one of the developments that could determine next years team's potential--will Lydon be able to log big minutes as the nominal 3, or will him playing alongside Roberson / Coleman not work? Moyer could be a 3, too, but I see him as more of a stretch 4 and think that's where he'll eventually end up playing the majority of his minutes. Lydon shoots the ball well. That's about the extent of his SF skill set, at least based upon what he showed last year. Can he handle? Is he a passer? We'll see. But I think it is a reach to suggest that he can do some of those versatile things that 3's are called upon to do in our system better than the players you reference above. Granted, some of them did certain things better than others [for example, Nichols was a better shooter than some, but was subpar putting the ball on the floor].

Hmmm... not sure I agree with much of either of your conclusions. We've had PLENTY of teams that have had fourth guards. I don't disagree that these guys don't often log significant minutes, that our backcourt rotation tends to go deeper than 3, that is hasn't been a frustrating problem dating back to 2013 -- those are the points of your post I agree with -- but I'm thinking big picture here. Having three guards isn't good for practice, because you can't field two legitimate units to scrimmage. Let alone as emergency depth if one gets injured, or has an academic issue, etc. No doubt, we're going to ride it out with three and cross our fingers that nobody gets injured, but I'd sure feel a lot better about the roster balance if we had a fourth scholarship guard.

I also don't know that I agree that Lydon is a "true' small forward, let alone one of the better ones we've had. My opinion only, but it is going to be one of the developments that could determine next years team's potential--will Lydon be able to log big minutes as the nominal 3, or will him playing alongside Roberson / Coleman not work? Moyer could be a 3, too, but I see him as more of a stretch 4 and think that's where he'll eventually end up playing the majority of his minutes. Lydon shoots the ball well. That's about the extent of his SF skill set, at least based upon what he showed last year. Can he handle? Is he a passer? We'll see. But I think it is a reach to suggest that he can do some of those versatile things that 3's are called upon to do in our system better than the players you reference above. Granted, some of them did certain things better than others [for example, Nichols was a better shooter than some, but was subpar putting the ball on the floor].

We're in agreement it's not ideal, but at least the team's been in this boat at least a few times in recent years and had some success with just 3 guards.

As for Lydon, he may or may not be versatile, but our small forwards aren't always the most gifted ballhandlers or passers, yet they've had a lot of success. Of the three I mentioned, none were great drivers (all 'straight-line' guys with limited handles) and I don't remember them doing anything exceptional with their passing (APG topped out at 2.2). A bigger, more athletic, more naturally gifted, better defending and rebounding version of Senior James Southerland is probably Lydon's floor. Your point that he may not be able to play SF all the time is a valid one, but I wouldn't expect him to play any more Center except in emergency situations or if JB is going with a 3 guard lineup. Chukwu and an apparently 100% Coleman eliminates the need for Lydon to man the middle. If he fills in for Roberson with Moyer slotting in, which one of them is the SF is a matter of semantics.

Edit: I originally missed some of the redshirts when counting the years with just 3 guards.

We're in agreement it's not ideal, but at least the team's been in this boat at least a few times in recent years and had some success with just 3 guards.

As for Lydon, he may or may not be versatile, but our small forwards aren't always the most gifted ballhandlers or passers, yet they've had a lot of success. Of the three I mentioned, none were great drivers (all 'straight-line' guys with limited handles) and I don't remember them doing anything exceptional with their passing (APG topped out at 2.2). A bigger, more athletic, more naturally gifted, better defending and rebounding version of Senior James Southerland is probably Lydon's floor. Your point that he may not be able to play SF all the time is a valid one, but I wouldn't expect him to play any more Center except in emergency situations or if JB is going with a 3 guard lineup. Chukwu and an apparently 100% Coleman eliminates the need for Lydon to man the middle. If he fills in for Roberson with Moyer slotting in, which one of them is the SF is a matter of semantics.

Edit: I originally missed some of the redshirts when counting the years with just 3 guards.

On-court comparability of the front court players is going to be an interesting dynamic to watch.

I just have concerns about our ability to play Lydon / Roberson at the same time as a viable tandem that provides the required floor spacing. Doesn't mean it CAN'T or WON'T work, just that I'm concerned.

People often get too hung up on positions, when I think having complimentary skill sets is far more important. We've had years recently where we haven't had legitimate 4s, but have made it work because Kris could play with CJ, CJ could play with Southerland, etc. I think in our defensive system, we've had good luck with 3s who were capable of playing "bigger." I'm not so sure about 4's playing "smaller" -- especially when both of our centers are clog-the-lane types. We'll find out in 3 months.

Last edited:
I have zero concerns about Lydon's passing ability. He showed he was a great passer at times last year. I guess you could have concerns about his ball handling, but he started to take it to the bucket at the end of the year. I'm sure that was what he was told he had to work on over the summer. Let's hope he and Robey can play together, because we need both of them on the floor 35 plus minutes this year.

Lydon might not need to dribble much anyway. I expect a lot of teams to zone us this year, especially if our guards can't make threes, which I have a feeling will be a weak point.

I'm looking forward to this year's defense. Chukwu anchoring the center of the zone may be awesome to watch. I just hope he's able to do all the other little things needed from that center position. They all have to talk to each other and play team defense. As usual, the defense will probably not get very good until around tournament time.

I actually like Lydon at the 3. Over the years, we've had a range of skills at that position, with some preferring driving (CJ) and others preferring shooting (Nichols/Sutherland). Joseph was pretty balanced .. with maybe a slight edge towards driving. Ironically, one of the best recent SF's we've had was G. I know he didn't start there, but he could score at all 3 levels .. and at 6'7 he had decent size.

Lydon's over 6'9 now ... so he's ideally a stretch 4. But think he'll be fine at SF ... if he can get used to driving more, stopping to hit the mid-range shot, posting up smaller players, etc. At SU, the SF has to rebound the weak side, so true we give up a little quickness with him but we gain his outside shot and his presence inside.

Remember we also have Battle who, at 6'6, can play some 3. As RF points out, there may be some games where Lydon doesn't match up against an opposing SF. We could drop Battle down there and have Lydon play the 4. The problem for me is .. when you drop TB down to the 3, who plays the 2? That's really where I see a depth concern ... the absence of a backup wing shooter. Gillon isn't a 2, and Howard isn't a volume scorer. So that's a depth concern.

And of course I'd like to have the luxury of another big.

Last edited:
I actually like Lydon at the 3. Over the years, we've had a range of skills at that position, with some preferring driving (CJ) and others preferring shooting (Nichols/Sutherland). Joseph was pretty balanced .. with maybe a slight edge towards driving. Ironically, one of the best recent SF's we've had was G. I know he didn't start there, but he could score at all 3 levels .. and at 6'7 he had decent size.

Lydon's over 6'9 now ... so he's ideally a stretch 4. But think he'll be fine at SF ... if he can get used to driving more, stopping to hit the mid-range shot, posting up smaller players, etc. At SU, the SF has to rebound the weak side, so true we give up a little quickness with him but we gain his outside shot and his presence inside.

Remember we also have Battle who, at 6'6, can play some 3. As RF points out, there may be some games where Lydon doesn't match up against an opposing SF. We could drop Battle down there and have Lydon play the 4. The problem for me is .. when you drop TB down to the 3, who plays the 2? That's really where I see a depth concern ... the absence of a backup wing shooter. Gillon isn't a 2, and Howard isn't a volume scorer. So that's a depth concern.

And of course I'd like to have the luxury of another big.

If Battle is at the 3 then Gillon would play as the 2 off the ball with Howard as the 1. Sure Gillon isn't a 2 but he can be a spot up shooter and if the close out is hard he is going right by with the ability of a PG to make a play at that point. I do concede however that we will likely not see a whole lot of that line up simply because they are the only 3 guards we have.
Luckily for us matching up with true SF's defensively isn't a big deal for us with the zone. So its more a question of how our offense performs. I think when you look at Lydon, Roberson and Moyer you can play them in any combination or even all 3 together on the front line. They each bring different aspects offensively with Roberson being the most limited but also be the best offensive glass guy we have and the most experienced. Had Malachi come back we would have been loaded with firepower because he would give us an elite scorer, 4 guards and a guy who could play as a SF if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom