Clint Dempsey has some fun with a ref | Syracusefan.com

Clint Dempsey has some fun with a ref

tumblr_n81foe8jRP1tp5nq6o1_400.gif

Got three games off for that stunt. What he did was wrong, but damn I can certainly understand why his emotions got the best of him. That official lost control of the game, pure and simple. That many ejections? One of the Sounders gets carted off on a stretcher and no card was given? That official needs a review of his own.

Clint definitely puts the "Eastwood" in US Soccer.

Heard a great comment on Sirius 94 today. People laud Dempsey for being "that" player, the one that has a chip on his shoulder, the one that gives the U.S. Team the moxie it sometimes lacks. They hold him up as the type of player US Soccer needs to be successful. Yet, now those same people are dumping on him and saying he should be banned for three months for doing that and want him stripped of his Captain's armband. You can't have it both ways.

I think 3 games is fair, considering that game was the clown show of officiating. Some caller said "if it were a game in Europe, Clint would be gone for three months." The announcer then added, "if it was a game in Europe, it never would have gotten to that point of pure emotion because they have competent officials." They didn't defend Clint's action, but they put it in perspective. They reminded people that officials are still flown in from Europe and other places for events like this because the U.S. does not have a deep pool of World Class officials.

Last edited:
I cant blame him either. Clint has been a huge part of the continued success of the usmnt. He has that moxy for sure and the edge that adds that little bit more to the mix. Add to that he is arguably the most creative u.s. attacker we have ever had. His on ball skill is world class and he is not afraid to showcase it when it matters. Perfect example being his first goal in last years wc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom