Coach and Cooney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Coach and Cooney

When I saw it during the game I commented to my wife and since we record the games we rewound the DVR and watched it multiple times. JB was leering at Trevor as he approached and barked something to him and then pushed Trevor from behind immediately after Trevor had passed him on his way to the bench and the TO huddle.

This season or this particular group of players may be frustrating for JB but in my opinion it is NEVER OK for a coach to put a hand on a player out of frustration or any reason for that matter. Simply put, it was wrong. I think he is an amazing coach and has tremendous accomplishments but there are times when JB's actions, words and deeds are inappropriate. The personal nature of some of JB's comments about players seems out of place as well. Some can counter that it's a motivational technique but a team that apparently has several players how are struggling with confidence wouldn't seem to benefit from that type of "motivational" approach.

It seems that enough people here noticed the incident and seemed somewhat troubled by it. When a game is televised to countless numbers of viewers watching the game one can only guess how many people saw the incident and raised an eyebrow to it as well. I hope for JB's sake he can get his emotions in check and he won't repeat anything which can be construed as inappropriate and reflect negatively on himself and by association, the team. I don't care how many games he has won or how long he's been here, that push of Trevor was not OK.

I don't think it was a push.

I'm also not of the opinion that coaches shouldn't or can't touch players. As long as it's not violent or intended to embarrass the player, which this wasn't, I'm okay with it and I was okay with being on the receiving end of it during my sports days. I had a high school football coach grab my arm and yell at me on the sideline because I didn't get my head up to locate the ball during punt coverage. He came up to apolobize to me in the locker room and I told him that I didn't even remember him grabbing me.

This isn't a situation like we've seen with the Rutgers coach or whoever that guy was that grabbed a player by the throat. I understand the point that Jim has to watch himself while the cameras are on, especially with the oversensitive nature of our culture these days, but I honestly don't think there would be a story here if somebody tried to run it.

It wasn't a push. Cooney was walking past JB to the bench as JB was grilling him, and JB grabbed him to finish what he was saying. I have to admit, I was little surprised that he put his hands on a player, but Cooney looked totally unaffected by it.

What is so bizarre about thinking about Woody Hayes when you see a coach aggressively put his hands on a player?

I probably should have qualified it by saying it wasn't and didn't escalate to the degree that the Hayes incident did, but can I help it if when I saw it my thought process flashed back to the Hayes incident? I remember seeing the Hayes wackiness when it happened.

Nothing bizarre about that. I do agree it wasn't anywhere near as crazy. Thankfully.

I guess, possibly, because Hayes put his hands on and punched an opposing team's player. That's really a horse of a different color altogether...a seemingly correlated stretch. Maybe not bizarre for you to think that, but I doubt it entered the majority of people's minds...interesting though.

I don't think it was a push.

I'm also not of the opinion that coaches shouldn't or can't touch players. As long as it's not violent or intended to embarrass the player, which this wasn't, I'm okay with it and I was okay with being on the receiving end of it during my sports days. I had a high school football coach grab my arm and yell at me on the sideline because I didn't get my head up to locate the ball during punt coverage. He came up to apolobize to me in the locker room and I told him that I didn't even remember him grabbing me.

This isn't a situation like we've seen with the Rutgers coach or whoever that guy was that grabbed a player by the throat. I understand the point that Jim has to watch himself while the cameras are on, especially with the oversensitive nature of our culture these days, but I honestly don't think there would be a story here if somebody tried to run it.

Bobby Knight grabbed Neil Reed by the throat. Mike Rice of Rutgers was the one who fired basketballs at players when they screwed up. Kevin O'Bannon, also of Rutgers, made players run naked wind springs for missed free throws. I know - the Rutgers insanity is hard to keep straight.

The Cooney shove was pretty tame.

But when JB put Kaleb in the cobra clutch at the under 4 timeout, that's when I felt like things maybe got a little out of hand.

A Figure Four drop from the top rope would probably straighten out his game some!

I guess, possibly, because Hayes put his hands on and punched an opposing team's player. That's really a horse of a different color altogether...a seemingly correlated stretch. Maybe not bizarre for you to think that, but I doubt it entered the majority of people's minds...interesting though.

The OP stated that she was interested in hearing what the board members thought. That's what I thought.

Sometimes the defensive attitude about anything not praising JB gets a little annoying. People can have faults. My wife and kids among others know I have faults. You don't? JB doesn't have faults? JB never does wrong?

And as I've posted previously I didn't equate the TC incident to what Hayes did. I gave an honest response..when I saw what was happening I thought of Woody Hayes.

Connection...coach aggressively putting hands on player. Get it?

Check Woody's history..the opposing player incident was not the only time he physically accosted a player..his own players.

I disliked Hayes...I don't dislike JB. JB is Mother Teresa compared to Hayes.

Let me put it this way..the 1954 World Series. Willie Mays makes a miraculous over the shoulder catch in deep center field. A historical catch. Shown many times. In 2013 Mike Trout makes a great and somewhat similar catch...I've seen both. A great catch in center field..Willie Mays pops into my head. Doesn't mean Trout is Willie, or even that the catches are that similar.

Jesus shoot me .

The OP stated that she was interested in hearing what the board members thought. That's what I thought.

Sometimes the defensive attitude about anything not praising JB gets a little annoying. People can have faults. My wife and kids among others know I have faults. You don't? JB doesn't have faults? JB never does wrong?

And as I've posted previously I didn't equate the TC incident to what Hayes did. I gave an honest response..when I saw what was happening I thought of Woody Hayes.

Check Woody's history..the opposing player incident was not the only time he physically accosted a player..his own players.

Let me put it this way..the 1954 World Series. Willie Mays makes a miraculous over the shoulder catch in deep center field. A historical catch. Shown many times. In 2013 Mike Trout makes a great and somewhat similar catch...I've seen both. A great catch in center field..Willie Mays pops into my head. Doesn't mean Trout is Willie, or even that the catches are that similar.

Jesus shoot me .

Wow, my intentions were not to hit a nerve...sorry. I was only attempting to answer the question you proposed, it's why I used the words guess, and possibly. Nothing I opined on was a matter of fact or definitive...I do think it's interesting that your mind went to an extreme example (Woody Hayes) vs. one in which was really pretty uneventful, which, Cooney himself solidifies by his reaction and ensuing nodding of his head. No big deal...peace!

Jesus shoot me .
46.jpg
scarface-smiley-emoticon.gif

The more I look at I feel JB HAS to get another NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Hea NEEDS to.

He stuck around after his first one, he could have walked out into the sunset going up up up the mountain to reach the top and become legendary, now its been 14 years since that title.

The more I look at I feel JB HAS to get another NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP. Hea NEEDS to.

He stuck around after his first one, he could have walked out into the sunset going up up up the mountain to reach the top and become legendary, now its been 14 years since that title.

March 2003 will only be 12 years ago this coming March. I see your point - I'd like him to get another one also. But let's not make it longer than it is :)

Wow, my intentions were not to hit a nerve...sorry. I was only attempting to answer the question you proposed, it's why I used the words guess, and possibly. Nothing I opined on was a matter of fact or definitive...I do think it's interesting that your mind went to an extreme example (Woody Hayes) vs. one in which was really pretty uneventful, which, Cooney himself solidifies by his reaction and ensuing nodding of his head. No big deal...peace!

Sorry...I'm usually pretty level headed. I think the term bizarre (not that you used it) when referring to my original post tweaked me a bit.

You're right...peace.

Jesus shoot me .
Awwww, Bevosu. You know some people understand perfectly what you meant but still want to give you some sass. It is the nature of a board.

You don't want Jesus to shoot you, not so close to his birthday. :rolleyes:

I didn't see the Cooney incident but I remember JB going after Joseph with his finger as if it was a jackhammer and Kaleb's chest was the pavement.

Awwww, Bevosu. You know some people understand perfectly what you meant but still want to give you some sass. It is the nature of a board.

You don't want Jesus to shoot you, not so close to his birthday. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, I think some of the fabled bad posters that are often mentioned(without names) have scared away former rookie of the year frontrunner Jesus, and have narrowed the choices. Jesus appeared for a brief time and made folks happy on here, but then disappeared and have left many wondering if/when he will return and grace us with his presence. Jesus was a minority member who appreciated my humor and I miss that SOB. I think Jesus may have made light of the situation and sang "Bevooooo SU" to the tune of Viva Las Vegas.

I didn't see the Cooney incident but I remember JB going after Joseph with his finger as if it was a jackhammer and Kaleb's chest was the pavement.

JB may have been wrongly influenced by reading of Adrian Peterson and maybe Ray Rice. Who knows. If it were the NFL and a segment of the market was teetering on the brink of having it's revenue lost(in the minds of those most influenced by the media's pet projects), we may have to suffer through those pathetic public service announcement charades I have to see during football games. "Not in our house JB!!". I'm guessing if it were Devo or Paul Harris, at least a few folks on here wouldn't have said anything.

Players better keep their head on a swivel during practice..nike's could be flying from everywhere.

I noticed it live...cooney got blown by 3 times in the first 4 minutes. all I thought was cooney is going to be playing better D the rest of the way. As others have said it seemed very tame. My HS coaxh did worse to me by slamming the clipboard on the ground in front of me as I sat down and it shattered and went all over over the place. I boxed out on the next trip down...

Funny. I was in Canada and could not see the game. I was on the board for the first few minutes, and then I was able to listen while driving to a friends house on my sons XM radio in the car. I am not sure if I read about it in the chat room, or heard it on the radio. I think it was on the radio. My reaction was surprised that he even yelled at Trevor. I feel like Trevor has been the golden guy. And while he hustles, and has tremendous defensive effort, we all know that he has not had the golden 3 shot in a long long time. So it always bothered me that Trevor had a much longer leash than the other players seem to have. Maybe this had been building under the surface for a while. The radio only said something about JB being angry and getting into Trevor's face. The announcers said nothing about any physicality.
I have to say I have seen other coaches do this, and then the players respond really well like Trevor did. I didn't see it, so do not know the extend of the physical behavior. I have to assume it was not much or we certainly would have heard much more about it by now.

I don't think I've ever seen JB yell at a player for missing a shot - 95% of the time it's for defensive effort and 5% for making a bad pass or taking an ill advised shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom