Coaching Carousel | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Coaching Carousel

http://coachingsearch.com/coaching-search-ticker

Rutgers:
Seton Hall school of law dean emeritus Patrick Hobbs has been named Rutgers athletic director. Hobbs served as Seton Hall's interim AD from 2010-11. He was recently appointed by New Jersey governor Chris Christie to serve as an independent ethics ombudsman to the Office of the Governor. Running backs coach Norries Wilson will assume interim head coaching duties for the second time this year.

Is that the guy from the Bobby Gonzalez fiasco? He fired Gonzalez after his players got in trouble and he didn't think Gonzalez was a moral representative of the University.

Makes you wonder if the NCAA is sniffing around Rutgers after their entertainment filled past few years.

Industry sources tell FootballScoop that Western Michigan is working on a new contract for PJ Fleck that was described to FootballScoop as “unlike anything the MAC has ever seen”.

Specific details were not immediately available; but when consummated the package is expected to rival a lot of Power 5 head coaching compensation packages.

Since being named head coach in December 2012, Fleck has consistently delivered the top recruiting classes in the MAC and the results are showing up on the field…and in the stands. A bowl win this year would give WMU back to back 8 win seasons with six conference wins in both years.

Fleck was expected to be a highly sought after candidate during this year’s set of searches; but sources we have spoken with now expect Fleck to decline those opportunities.

Is that the guy from the Bobby Gonzalez fiasco? He fired Gonzalez after his players got in trouble and he didn't think Gonzalez was a moral representative of the University.

Makes you wonder if the NCAA is sniffing around Rutgers after their entertainment filled past few years.

They should. The fact that Flood directly contacted a professor about a grade and paper is clearly against NCAA rules.

I actually said $2.5M. If Campbell is getting that much at lowly Iowa St., we need to up the ante considerably from what Shafer was getting. It's just the market.
He's an experienced head coach. I like 1.8-2 + incentives to take him to 2.25 in the first year... up to 3 in his 5th/6th year.

texascpa said:
I actually said $2.5M. If Campbell is getting that much at lowly Iowa St., we need to up the ante considerably from what Shafer was getting. It's just the market.

We need to pay what will attract Coyle's top choice. No more, no less.

We then need to give that choice enough money to hire who he wants as his top choices for his staff.

Setting random amounts as "necessary" doesn't make sense.

We then need to give that choice enough money to hire who he wants as his top choices for his staff.

Whatever is necessary to seal the deal with your top choice HC as well as the staff he wants to put together.

My point is I believe that is necessary. It's like the housing market. Right now it's a sellers (coaches being the sellers).

I will rephrase what I mean: I think it will take $2.5M to get Frost or his equivalent in the house.

Schools are realizing that keeping their successful coach is critical and they are paying up to stabilize their programs. AAC, MAC schools are raising the bar. If we have our guy we have to pay what it takes to get him and a good staff. This is only going to get worse and filter down to coordinators and position coaches.

My point is I believe that is necessary. It's like the housing market. Right now it's a sellers (coaches being the sellers).

I will rephrase what I mean: I think it will take $2.5M to get Frost or his equivalent in the house.

I think you pay him $2 mil and have it go up to 2.5 if we finish with 8+ wins, then bring it up to 2.75 if we win our division and 3 mil to win the ACC. Then re-negotiate as fast as possible if he get to that 8+ wins to keep him on board.

JMO

Head coaches are now the college football equivalent of MLB starting pitchers.

texascpa said:
My point is I believe that is necessary. It's like the housing market. Right now it's a sellers (coaches being the sellers). I will rephrase what I mean: I think it will take $2.5M to get Frost or his equivalent in the house.

Gotcha. That's fair.

Go5 schools can offer all teh monies. It won't matter because playoffs.

frost would probably take 2 mil if we gave at least 2.5-3 mil for staff

Should it be based on his current salary? Or what the market says he should be paid? Key word is Market. If we seem to be trying to do this on the cheap, it could eliminate us in the minds of some potential applicants.

I don't think that a base of 2.5 is necessary. You could give him less but include good incentives similar to UofL where Petrino made 800,000 this year for making GPA and a bowl.

Yup.

Frost only comes here if he gets paid, AND his assistants paid. I feel this because if you get paid, and cannot attract quality assistants due to crappy low pay, you get canned 3-4 years down the road and are now labeled damaged goods. Then getting another head coaching job gets much tougher. So if I am an up and comer, I make sure my first head coaching job gets me the people I need around me to make me successful. If not, I pass until I find the gig that does.

Very interesting when you read his entire contract. Good insight about how the contracts are written. If you scroll down from the link above, you can read the entire 17 page contract.

Didn't realize he was Assistant HC.