Cole Murphy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Cole Murphy

Downward trend over 3 years. Obviously he could go 10 for 10 for the rest of the season and get his % up but this year has been bad. It isn't just a couple games. Also, his kickoffs have gotten worse it seems.

SEASON FGM FGA PCT XPM XPA PTS
2016 8 14 57.1 21 22 45
2015 16 22 72.7 37 37 85
2014 13 16 81.3 11 12 50

On top of that, he was 4/4 against colgate, meaning over the last 7 games he is 4/10.

Edit: Upon further review, it appears he is about the same. Just getting less kicks in his comfort zone.
kicking.JPG

Babers told the P-S that there was one decision in the 2nd quarter that he regretted making due to the bad weather. I'm guessing it's sending Murphy out there. If so, I'm glad to know he rethought that after the game. Hard to understand given the weather and Murphy's struggles.

Babers told the P-S that there was one decision in the 2nd quarter that he regretted making due to the bad weather. I'm guessing it's sending Murphy out there. If so, I'm glad to know he rethought that after the game. Hard to understand given the weather and Murphy's struggles.

I'm pretty sure that's what he was talking about also with that reference.

I think it was also mentioned that we have had worse weather for our away games than we've had in a long time. That plays a role. I would need more info on the misses before concluding he has lost confidence and that has wrecked his game,

Yeah, biggest problem with Murphy is that he's being asked to kick too many 45+ yard FGs. There aren't a lot of college kickers that are going to make a high percentage of those. He's not getting the opportunities to kick a bunch of 25 yarders this year since we either seem to stall out around the 30 yard line, or we get close to the end zone and just go for it on 4th down.

Yeah, biggest problem with Murphy is that he's being asked to kick too many 45+ yard FGs. There aren't a lot of college kickers that are going to make a high percentage of those. He's not getting the opportunities to kick a bunch of 25 yarders this year since we either seem to stall out around the 30 yard line, or we get close to the end zone and just go for it on 4th down.
Eh. That's the job.

Eh. That's the job.

I guess what I'm saying is that he's the same as he's ever been. He's just not getting all the "Shafer special's" from 30 yards and in to get his numbers up. Dino seems to be content at a 50/50 shot from 45+ at 3 points and anything inside that he seems to rather go for 6 (which I agree with!). Just the fact that he's got 0 attempts shorter than 40 yards this year makes comparing his percentages a waste of time.

hey the FSU kid who everyone thought was his brothers clone missed 3 in one game

Well then...he must be suffering from advanced hallucinatory schizophrenia accompanied by involuntary narcissistic rage if he missed one in the dome.

Just my opinion though.
motrin works for that;)

Not sure what has started to happen, but he has not been good this season. He has good distance, but so many missed FGs.

I was at the UConn game, and when Murphy missed a FG, Hofrichter was warming up on the sideline kicking FGs into the net. I wonder if HCDB calls Hofrichters name soon.

Do you think we take a dip into kicker recruiting and bring someone else in?

"Our kicker is unpredictable and inconsistent."

Sincerely,
95% of college football teams in the history of the sport

Cole is fine. 70% of field goals inside of 50 yards is a perfectly reasonable percentage.

Downward trend over 3 years. Obviously he could go 10 for 10 for the rest of the season and get his % up but this year has been bad. It isn't just a couple games. Also, his kickoffs have gotten worse it seems.

2016 8 14 57.1 21 22 45
2015 16 22 72.7 37 37 85
2014 13 16 81.3 11 12 50

On top of that, he was 4/4 against colgate, meaning over the last 7 games he is 4/10.

Edit: Upon further review, it appears he is about the same. Just getting less kicks in his comfort zone.
View attachment 79768

Based on the stats this is his best season.

2016 8 14 57.1 21 22 45
2015 16 22 72.7 37 37 85
2014 13 16 81.3 11 12 50

View attachment 79768

He's 7/10 inside of 50. Not elite by any stretch, but he hasn't been as bad as it seems.

It was really coming down at that point in the game too. I was surprised we sent him out there.

Thank god for waterproof coats.

He's 7/10 inside of 50. Not elite by any stretch, but he hasn't been as bad as it seems.

IMO a good college kicker should hit 83% of kicks under 42 yards. Then 42-46 yards they should hit 66% and 47+ yards 44%.

Under 42 yards 5-8 62.5% which is pretty bad although IMO Babers screwed him over by having him kick vs BC. He needed to hit one of the UConn of ND kicks.

42-46 yards 0-0 interesting that he has had nothing in this range.

47+ yards 3-7 42.9% which is pretty good. Surprised he has so many attempts at this range

Last edited:
IMO a good college kicker should hit 82.5% of kicks under 42 yards. Then 42-46 yards they should hit 66% and 47+ yards 49.5%.

Under 42 yards 5-8 62.5% which is pretty bad although IMO Babers screwed him over by having him kick vs BC. He needed to hit one of the UConn of ND kicks.

42-46 yards 0-0 interesting that he has had nothing in this range.

47+ yards 3-7 42.9% which is pretty good. Surprised he has so many attempts at this range
not 82%. 82.5!

Are there any studies on how successful SU kickers are in the Dome vs. outside? Since the last two games have been outside, I suspect that's a factor. :oops:

not 82%. 82.5!

Rounding error should be 83.3333333333333333333333333%

I edited the original post. I made those using math off the top of my head and not a calculator. IMO under 42 yards should be at a 5 out of 6 clip. With 42-46 yards a 2 out of 3 and 47+ a 4 out of 9. Again this isn't for an average kicker, but a good kicker. Murphy has done a good job at kicking 47+ this year. He has done a poor job under 42 yards. Overall I would say he has been average.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom