Coleman versus Obokoh | Syracusefan.com

Coleman versus Obokoh

Dave85

Living Legend
I would like to see CO split time with DC so DC's knees can last the whole season. But JB will most likely play DC the majority of the minutes until the knees become an issue. I think CO needs more PT in order to make real improvements. What do you think is a better strategy? What would be the right ratio of splitting PT between DC and CO?

Play Obokoh as much as we can early in the season. Once we hit conference play, ride Coleman's knees as long as we can. If he goes down, figure it out from there.

Obokoh is what he is. He's likely going to be too much of a liability to get more than 10mpg in conference play. I think Roberson or possibly even Lydon at Center is an option we'll see against the better teams.

We don't know yet. The question is are obokoh and dajuan better at sliding laterally and recovering baseline behind them when the ball gets to the low post.

Obviously March is the end game. Not as much seeding. Our road schedule is really rough and we could might be a 3-5 seed with 3-4 more losses then usual. Maybe even with 7-8 losses
Where other teams wouldn't be.
We got duke twice at unc at Virginia.

Last edited:
I'm confident that JB will play dc all the minutes he can handle. He will sit with big leads against cupcakes(we don't play many this year), but in close games and as long as he is effective he will play.

I'm confident that JB will play dc all the minutes he can handle. He will sit with big leads against cupcakes(we don't play many this year), but in close games and as long as he is effective he will play.

That's what JB will do. But do you think that is a better strategy than trying to develop CO skills and cut down DCs court time.

That's what JB will do. But do you think that is a better strategy than trying to develop CO skills and cut down DCs court time.
What have you seen from Chino so far that suggests he can be a successful contributor on the court for 20 minutes?

What have you seen from Chino so far that suggests he can be a successful contributor on the court for 20 minutes?

He's breathing and we need bodies to play center. Do you think DC can play the full 40 minutes? If not, who would you play at center?

He's breathing and we need bodies to play center. Do you think DC can play the full 40 minutes? If not, who would you play at center?

DC isn't going to play 40 minutes, but I think it's unfair to suggest we can get 20 minutes out of Okoboh against any ACC opponent, unless he has had some drastic game makeover this offseason. Now if you want Okoboh to play 20 against Colgate that's an entirely different story.

I don't get where all the pessimism is coming into this season.
The staff knows we need Obokoh ready and I am sure they pushed him hard all summer. They knew it was more about mobility for him and he was already good in the strength department.

We can give up offense/defense for only defense at the 5 for 15-20 minutes a game during acc play. Especially with Roberson and Lydon to hit the offensive boards. You just run a more conservative offense.
I expect us to sit Obokoh and Dajuan in the first half after they both pick up 2 though.

Last edited:
The staff knows we need Obokoh ready and I am sure they pushed him hard all summer. They knew it was more about mobility for him and he was already good in the strength department.

We can give up offense/defense for only defense at the 5 for 15-20 minutes a game during acc play. Especially with Roberson and Lydon to hit the offensive boards. You just run a more conservative offense.
I expect us to sit Obokoh and Dajuan in the first half after they both pick up 2 though.

Playing 4 on 5 on offense for a guy who likely won't be better than average on the defensive end is a hard sell against quality teams. 10 minutes or less is probably fine. 15-20 minutes is a lot. Keita only averaged 16 minutes as a Junior and he was - despite his frame - a much better defender as a Junior than I think Obokoh will be this coming season.

I'd prefer a small lineup with Roberson or Lydon at the 5 for stretches over Obokoh getting 15-20 mpg against good teams. I don't think Roberson or Lydon would give up many more points in the middle than Obokoh would, and our offense would be in much better shape. Fouls would be the only real concern.

The positive side is 4 on 5 usually applies to more of a handicap for forwards and guards as opposed to centers as you can just park centers in the low post. Although scoring around the rim becomes tougher and Dajuan and Obokoh were only 50% from the charity stripe the last few years.

Agree though, I don't think Obokoh will be able to run the pick and roll and that also comes into play. Lydon, Roberson and Dajuan will. I think that will play a huge part. I Just hope to see the pick and roll more out of the left side as that means we can score off posting up, and I really like the thought of Lydon/Roberson in the low post on the left side rolling outside for a three ball as that would make Gbinije unstoppable.

I would like to see CO split time with DC so DC's knees can last the whole season. But JB will most likely play DC the majority of the minutes until the knees become an issue. I think CO needs more PT in order to make real improvements. What do you think is a better strategy? What would be the right ratio of splitting PT between DC and CO?
I am sure JB will just ignore the medical advice he receives regarding DC's playing time.

Last edited:
Play Obokoh as much as we can early in the season. Once we hit conference play, ride Coleman's knees as long as we can. If he goes down, figure it out from there.

Obokoh is what he is. He's likely going to be too much of a liability to get more than 10mpg in conference play. I think Roberson or possibly even Lydon at Center is an option we'll see against the better teams.

Coleman's game was just embryonic at this level when he got hurt. he needs as much time to develop as Obokoh, (who is no stiff, by the way). You wouldn't want DC to play his first competitive basketball in two years against ACC level opponents

Coleman's game was just embryonic at this level when he got hurt. he needs as much time to develop as Obokoh, (who is no stiff, by the way). You wouldn't want DC to play his first competitive basketball in two years against ACC level opponents

Maybe you misunderstood the beginning of my post. Probably my fault.

I consider playing Obokoh 'as much as we can' as 20mpg, tops. I wasn't saying Obokoh should start or play the majority of the games in the OOC schedule.

Coleman as a Freshman, as relatively poor as he did play, was much more advanced than Obokoh on both ends of the court. I agree Coleman needs plenty of tune-up time, but he'll need to give us close to 30mpg in ACC play.

I'll be happy with 3 or 4 guys sharing minutes at the 5. Each presents a different problem for the opposition. We'll figger it out in the OOC games, no doubt. EVERYONE better show up this year...and next.

G is going to play PG and Center. That's the plan of record.

I agree. This is what is going to happen and hopefully we can have Obokoh play 10 minutes a game. Does anyone know how good Obokoh is in regards to the zone. If we have Malachi playing the 3 I'm not sure I'm as concerned about scoring. Do we know that he can't handle it. It would seem since he redshirted he has been in the system for 2 years now so he should be ok.

Don't sleep on Chinoso! He's raw, but the tools are there.
How raw is he? I'm honestly curious what people think. Can he play the zone well? He has been here 2 years so I would think he has improved especially learning from Rak last year.

Curious to hear where Chinoso is as well. He was a strong guy, but only weighed in at 225 last I saw. Still he loves to bump and puts it into every play joyfully. That being said he needed to work on his lateral mobility to develop a 2nd gear. Not just for his defense but to develop his hookshot at this level. Hope someone has already reached him and explained to him you will develop but need to work hard.
Obokoh upside is more as a Otis Hill then a Arinze Onuaku.

2vrv8jm.jpg

Last edited:
Just wanted to add.
Keita only weighed 220 at center, and 215 during our final four year a couple years back. Keita also was 6'10 though and had a nice wide stance and knew how to take a charge.

Roberson did weigh 226 during the summer. They have him back down to 212 now which is probably not a legit measurement to acc media day.
And Lydon is guesstimated at 205.

Who knows maybe we can get them up 5-10 pounds before Jan. Lydon would play a nice James Southerland like roll out shooter at center with Roberson running the screens.

Last edited:
Obokoh is a physical specimen. Look at the practice pictures. The kid is cut. We were told when he first starting practicing that he had a nose for rebounding. Bigs improve from year to year. Remember Keita wasn't very good his first couple of years.

Obokoh is a physical specimen. Look at the practice pictures. The kid is cut. We were told when he first starting practicing that he had a nose for rebounding. Bigs improve from year to year. Remember Keita wasn't very good his first couple of years.
I seem to remember Keita's best games were his first games... Chino is stringy cut, doesn't really make up for being short and light in the post against every single other ACC team...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom