College basketball is a broken sport | Syracusefan.com

College basketball is a broken sport

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
unless you consider who can recruit the most one and dones to be a sport. This was inevitable. If you cannot pay them you compete with incentives. Right now it is gold plated housing. Next it will be special individual player assistants. One and dones do not care about academics or the school they are playing for. Why should they when they are playing for free given that a diploma is not a consideration for a one and done.

The game is as bad as it ever has been, same with the Nba, and until the Nba puts in an age limit, its going to remain like this.

Watching the nba playoffs; there is no comparison with the college game.

unless you consider who can recruit the most one and dones to be a sport. This was inevitable. If you cannot pay them you compete with incentives. Right now it is gold plated housing. Next it will be special individual player assistants. One and dones do not care about academics or the school they are playing for. Why should they when they are playing for free given that a diploma is not a consideration for a one and done.

Sad to say, D-1 colleges are becoming more and more just developmental teams for the pros.
The days when most of the players are actual students are long gone.
And the idea of being there for degrees is almost meaningless.
We're getting ever closer to players getting salaries...there's just too much money being made by everyone but them.

Funny to think that back a million years ago when I was at SU most of the players lived in my dorm (Lawrinson) and hung out like regular students. Which many almost were.

I have thouroly enjoyed the NBA playoffs. All the games flow (other than the Cavs)
The Warriors without Steph then Steph goes off!
Westbrook n Durant the last 2 games. How much potential does OKC's front line have? Can they make the Warriors play big?

Sad to say, D-1 colleges are becoming more and more just developmental teams for the pros.
The days when most of the players are actual students are long gone.
And the idea of being there for degrees is almost meaningless.
We're getting ever closer to players getting salaries...there's just too much money being made by everyone but them.

Funny to think that back a million years ago when I was at SU most of the players lived in my dorm (Lawrinson) and hung out like regular students. Which many almost were.

I remember when fans would get upset over a guy leaving after his junior year, now we are desperately hoping to get a 2nd year out of a kid, its sad what has happened to college basketball.

I remember when fans would get upset over a guy leaving after his junior year, now we are desperately hoping to get a 2nd year out of a kid, its sad what has happened to college basketball.

I remember kids used the work in sweat shops. What is your point. Should someone not get paid for being great at their trade?

I thoroughly enjoyed the 2015-16 CBB season. I will watch again this fall. I'm not a big fan of the NBA. It's a much different style of play and rules. But the 2002 Kings versus Lakers game just ended my NBA watching career:

"On June 10, 2008, convicted NBA referee Tim Donaghy's attorney filed a court document alleging that Game 6 was fixed by two referees. The letter states that Donaghy "learned from Referee A that Referees A and F wanted to extend the series to seven games."

I watch this game with a bunch of family while I was on vacation in Holden Beach NC. It was the first NBA game I watch in 10 years. It absolutely killed me. I am not even a Kings fan and I was screaming at the TV. It was just unbelievable to watch. I have never seen anything like ever in my life. It has made me ultra-sensitive to refs throwing a game. I did not think refs throwing a game was really true until I watch that game. I haven't been able to watch the NBA since.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_NBA_Playoffs

If there are no rules that can be easily understood and enforced then it is not a game. It becomes championship wrestling at that point. That is why I always plug the idea the charge-block rules in college basketball really need to be clarified. I think the charge-block calls are a much bigger problem for CBB than kids leaving early for the NBA. Charge-block calls can really destroy the game.

How much NBA basketball have watched lately?

A decent amount, not as much as I used to, its not just about the teams that are playing now. Its about the fact that there are a lot of mediocre to bad teams in the league.

How much NBA basketball have watched lately?

Western Conference playoffs are the tits! Even the eastern conference has been entertaining.

College hoops is still great. Mali's decision is nothing new. It won't kill the Orange. The turnover of players is part of what makes the game. We all get excited at the next new recruit coming. Now it's just turning over more quickly but this is nothing new. We may soon see this as an opportunity for someone to stand out with the newfound extra playing time available... Just like Ennis did when MCW left.

I remember kids used the work in sweat shops. What is your point. Should someone not get paid for being great at their trade?
yeah, they should make millions, have a posse , and beat the sh-t out of their old lady's. Give 18 yr olds millions, free everything.

This thread sure went to hell in a hurry. Sounds like some people would do well to find another sport to follow or perhaps find a new hobby.

This thread sure went to hell in a hurry. Sounds like some people would do well to find another sport to follow or perhaps find a new hobby.

Maybe we love the game, and just want to product to get better.

jordoo said:
I have thouroly enjoyed the NBA playoffs. All the games flow (other than the Cavs) The Warriors without Steph then Steph goes off! Westbrook n Durant the last 2 games. How much potential does OKC's front line have? Can they make the Warriors play big?

Haven't watched a minute of NBA playoffs. Not worth my time.

They're getting a free education plus full cost of attendance. Only the top 2% of div 1 athletes are justified in pursuing a professional career without a degree to fall back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom