College basketball is a broken sport | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

College basketball is a broken sport

We are the minor league. Why not sell college teams and collect rent on the arenas? Most players are poor and they want money more than they want a degree. According to Forbes our team is worth $18 million. Invest the money from the sale and safely earn 4% or about $750,000/year. Use the money to pay for scholarships, 80% minority to reflect the makeup of our basketball team. Why should only black athletes get a free ride? Why discriminate against short klutzes? In other words, proceeds from sale of the team would perpetually finance at least as many scholarships as we normally give to basketball players and Syracuse would still have a local basketball team and the players would get paid. My mind is wandering due to our once in a year heat wave. In reality, I'd hate to see an end to March Madness.

People would poo poo everything you are saying for no reason. I like the spirit of what you are saying though. How cool would it be for the NBA to do the following. Do not draft players until their Junior year for the NBA. But, have a Summer College Developmetn League (SCDL) where only freshmen and sophomore college students get invited to play and get paid (assuming the NCAA a holes allow the college students to have summer jobs). This way everyone is happy. CBB fans get to see their favorite college players for two years. Players finally get some real cash for their craft. NBA makes a huge amount of money. And the NCAA keeps their tournament cash cow intact if not better. Win, win, win, win! What more could you ask for? How cool would it be to see the best CBB players compete in 8 to 10 all star teams. It would be a show case of talent and and make a lot cash for everyone involved. OMG! I wish I were a multi-billionaire. Oh well!

Last edited:
People would poo poo everything you are saying for no reason. I like the spirit of what you are saying though. How cool would it be for the NBA to do the following. Do not draft players until their Junior year for the NBA. But, have a Summer College Developmetn League (SCDL) where only freshmen and sophomore college students get invited to play and get paid (assuming the NCAA a holes allow the college students to have summer jobs). This way everyone is happy. CBB fans get to see their favorite college players for two years. Players finally get some real cash for their craft. NBA makes a huge amount of money. And the NCAA keeps their tournament cash cow intact if not better. Win, win, win, win! What more could you ask for? How cool would it be to see the best CBB players compete in 8 to 10 all star teams. It would be a show case of talent and and make a lot cash for everyone involved. OMG! I wish I were a multi-billionaire. Oh well!

Then that system will adjust and the kids will go straight from high school to overseas.

I'm not saying the current system is ideal but there is a negative counter to almost every suggestion.

Then that system will adjust and the kids will go straight from high school to overseas.

I'm not saying the current system is ideal but there is a negative counter to almost every suggestion.

Uh, how do you get that?

My only beef with college basketball is this dumb one year rule. If you're going to force kids to sit before entering the draft, make it two years. Seriously, what does 1 year of classes accomplish? Make them get their associates or something. The one and done rule is ridiculous and I'd rather they go back to no rule at all. Only one profiting off this is the NCAA, who now get to bank off one and dones, who would otherwise skip the college basketball scene.

My only beef with college basketball is this dumb one year rule. If you're going to force kids to sit before entering the draft, make it two years. Seriously, what does 1 year of classes accomplish? Make them get their associates or something. The one and done rule is ridiculous and I'd rather they go back to no rule at all. Only one profiting off this is the NCAA, who now get to bank off one and dones, who would otherwise skip the college basketball scene.

Kids who don't want to go to college shouldn't be forced to do so. Id much prefer to return to no restrictions on when you can enter the draft because I don't care to save e NBA from itself.

A two year (even three) rule would be a fair compromise because I think more kids would leave out of high school if going to school meant a 2-3 year commitment.

A true minor league system would help a lot.

I get that Syracuse fans are upset at the loss of another underclassman to the NBA. Additionally, I think that since the NBA began drafting first and second year players so indiscriminately, the game isn't at quite the same level (or, at least, the elite of college basketball) as it was in the 80's and 90's. On the other hand, it is hardly 'broken', either. There is more parity than ever, which is a good thing, IMO. Furthermore, while Duke and Kentucky have won championships in the last decade using the 'one & done' approach to recruiting, they haven't been all that successful. Both have also lost in the first round (or, more precisely, the round of 64) in recent years with their elite frosh. Of the 2016 Final Four participants, only Syracuse had a 'one & done' player on the roster. I agree with the above poster that it would be better if the NBA changed their rules and allowed high schoolers to enter the draft. However, the real solution to the problem has to do with the way teams recruit, and the players that they pursue. Recruiting players just a level below the the very elite of any class of prep players, with the prospects of retaining and developing those players, seems to be a better strategy than trying to replace elite frosh every year. Furthermore, for the last half dozen years, at least, the best of the ACC has been dominated by upperclassmen. It was true of FSU in 2012, Miami in 2013, UVa in 2014, and UNC in 2016. Even Duke in 2015, who did feature a trio of 'one & dones', was really led by a few upperclassmen. There are more than a few college coaches that need to adjust their respective recruiting strategies. Among others, Jamie Dixon's Pitt program began to slip when he went from developing players in the long term to pursuing those that stayed just a year. Also, how has UCLA benefitted from all their fantastic recruiting? Then there is Gottfried at State; lots of elite talent with little to show for it. IMO, it all goes to suggest that continuity and development trump ephemeral elite talent.

Kids who don't want to go to college shouldn't be forced to do so. Id much prefer to return to no restrictions on when you can enter the draft because I don't care to save the NBA from itself.

A two year (even three) rule would be a fair compromise because I think more kids would leave out of high school if going to school meant a 2-3 year commitment.

A true minor league system would help a lot.
NCAA basketball is totally at the mercy of the NBA Players Association and the owners on this. That's dangerous for everyone involved. I hope that the next collective bargaining agreement adopts baseball's approach - If you're not drafted or signed after HS then you're in school for 3 years.

Maybe what's really needed is strong junior college teams and conferences. The academics and programs at that level would be far more beneficial to more of the players than what they're getting now as a one-and-done.

NCAA basketball is totally at the mercy of the NBA Players Association and the owners on this. That's dangerous for everyone involved. I hope that the next collective bargaining agreement adopts baseball's approach - If you're not drafted or signed after HS then you're in school for 3 years.

Maybe what's really needed is strong junior college teams and conferences. The academics and programs at that level would be far more beneficial to more of the players than what they're getting now as a one-and-done.

Agree'd. The NBA shouldn't be involved at all in the college scene.

Just get rid of the one and done rule. If the NBA wants two years, pick two years. If they want zero, make it zero. Make the kids that go to school stay 2-3 years then. It will balance the power in basketball. Duke and UK will still get good players, but they won't be able to take every guy in the top 15 anymore because they won't have enough room on their roster.

Just get rid of the one and done rule. If the NBA wants two years, pick two years. If they want zero, make it zero. Make the kids that go to school stay 2-3 years then. It will balance the power in basketball. Duke and UK will still get good players, but they won't be able to take every guy in the top 15 anymore because they won't have enough room on their roster.

Thats what they should do, it would improve the college game, and the pro game as well.