College star who you thought would be a great pro..but wasnt. | Syracusefan.com

College star who you thought would be a great pro..but wasnt.

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
Name a great college player that you thought would be a solid pro but for some reason (besides injury) just didn't make it?

-For me, its Scottie Thurman. To this day I'll never figure out how this guy wasn't at least a rotation guy in the league.

How about Austin Carr. College Basketball Player of the Year. Number one draft pick for the Cavs. Played ten years and scored 10,000 pts but only made one all star team. The husband of my fifth grade teacher was a teacher/asst coach of Carr's down in DC before they moved to upstate NY so they knew him well and helped bring him and a bunch of other stars to Albany to play in some event. Here is an article I found that talks about Carr playing in Albany.
http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Marv-Cermak-Dr-J-played-for-a-buck-a-point-5621365.php

Last edited:
I really thought Fab Melo would do some damage at the NBA level, honestly.

Syracuse: Fab Melo
The rest: Charlie Villanueva

Chucky Brown. Dennis Scott turned into a legit role player but he looked like the best player in the universe at Tech. Same deal with Calbert Chaney. Also Randolph Childress. Miles Simon. Ron Mercer.

For football, Joey Harrington.

Otto Porter. Scored 33 in the Dome in front of a record crowd! Boeheim thought he definitely should have been the #1 pick.

Yet he had somebody that ended up being much better sitting on his own squad that was picked 8 picks later. He sure can spot some guys, but he surely has a lot of misses as well.

Sadly our very own Billy Owens. Unstoppable when he attacked but too often he settled into role player mode. He was too talented to be an average pro.
In defense of Billy, he had sooooo many injuries over his pro career. He had multiple knee surgeries if I'm not mistaken, and that just decimated his trajectory.

Willie Glass. Incredible athlete.
Pearl
Austin Croshere (sp?)
Kevin Pittsnogle. (just kidding)

Troy Bell on BC - I simply don't understand how he fell off the face of the Earth. He was an elite college player.

I was running back through the past big east player of year awards randomly the other day with a buddy and I was shocked when he said Anthony didn't win it in 03 (I was 7th grade at time so couldn't remember if he got it)...Troy bell did.

Actually I'll throw one out there. I didn't think he would be GREAT by any stretch, but I thought he would be able to be a rotation player because he was 6-8 and had one very distinct skill (shooting): Adam Morrison. The fact that a guy like Matt Bonner is still in the league, but Morrison could never really even get his career started, always baffled me a bit (I realize that Bonner is an elite shooter, but still).

Billy Owens.

Stromile Swift.

I was going with Michael Dickerson, who I thought would be awesome, and wasn't. (Edit: I didn't realize he put up good numbers in the NBA, and then stopped playing due to injuries...so he I guess he doesn't count.)

Derrick Williams.

Marvin Williams - he's okay enough though.

it is killing me to not make the most obvious tasteless post here

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom