College star who you thought would be a great pro..but wasnt. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

College star who you thought would be a great pro..but wasnt.

I really thought Fab Melo would do some damage at the NBA level, honestly.

Syracuse: Fab Melo
The rest: Charlie Villanueva

Fab Melo did the most damage, but it was the wrong kind and it was in our house.

Greg Oden
Tractor Traylor
Big Country ?

Last edited:
Marvin Barnes

Great college player with a few character flaws.

wikipedia....

His nickname, "Bad News," came from his frequent off-court problems, which began when he was a senior at Central High School.[2] He was part of a gang that attempted to rob a bus. He was quickly identified as he was wearing his state championship jacket with his name embroidered on it.

what..no Randy Rutherford yet?

Actually I'll throw one out there. I didn't think he would be GREAT by any stretch, but I thought he would be able to be a rotation player because he was 6-8 and had one very distinct skill (shooting): Adam Morrison. The fact that a guy like Matt Bonner is still in the league, but Morrison could never really even get his career started, always baffled me a bit (I realize that Bonner is an elite shooter, but still).
A fave of mine. Bad stache though.

Last edited:
Did anyone ask about never nervous Purvis?

Edit. In this day and age he would have been a top 3 pick after his freshman year.

Last edited:
Wow really? After halfway through his frosh year I thought it was kind of clear that Harris didn't have an NBA position.
Paul is the reason why kids shouldn't have a one n done...

Last edited:
I honestly thought that Demetris Nichols would carve out an 8-10 year journeyman NBA career after he morphed into a fantastic college small forward as a senior.

Actually Paul is the reason why kids shouldn't have to go to college. If he enters the draft out of HS, he's a 1st rd pick, makes some money, and gets a longer look at sticking in the NBA. I think he's done well overseas, but being forced to come to school hurt his pro chances.

That is what I was trying to say poorly.

Do you really think A. he would have gone pro? B. He would have been drafted?

People talk like he was a top 5 recruit... he wasn't top 10 by the time he graduated

Corey Brewer
Marcus Williams
Hasheem Thabeet
Kendall Marshall
Sam Young

All great names!

Kendell Marshall and Marcus Williams, especially. Man I thought they were both special.

Do you really think A. he would have gone pro? B. He would have been drafted?

People talk like he was a top 5 recruit... he wasn't top 10 by the time he graduated
Probably a lotto pick out of HS. Just from all the talk I heard at that time.

real answer, felton.

Yeah, I thought Felton would be much better than he turned out to be.

Rashad McCants surprised me too, though he ended up having other issues that prevented him from becoming a good player. But he was just such a great scorer at UNC. I thought he was going to be great in the NBA.

Doug Smith - Mizzou
Laettner
Joe Smith - Maryland

Joe Smith is a good one. Laettner - typical Dookie who flamed out at that era. Could add Danny Ferry.

I'll give you Ferry.

But Laettner was a pretty good pro. Averaged more than 16 per game 5 different times which blows Billy Owens out of the water

Corey Brewer is the first one who comes to mind. Never would've imagined that Noah would wind up the best pro of those four kids.

Chucky Brown. Dennis Scott turned into a legit role player but he looked like the best player in the universe at Tech. Same deal with Calbert Chaney. Also Randolph Childress. Miles Simon. Ron Mercer.

For football, Joey Harrington.

Yes on Ron Mercer. Was he lazy or what? Was maybe the best player on both those Kentucky teams.

Sticking with the SEC, I remember Jumaine Jones being an excellent player for Georgia during that era. Don't think I've heard of him since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom