Colorado State Player And New Mexico Coach Postgame Screaming Match | Syracusefan.com

Colorado State Player And New Mexico Coach Postgame Screaming Match

Based on the video, I side with Rencher. Don't go around threatening people and then whining about it when the threatened person doesn't react how you want them to. Kid thought he could talk tough and the other guy just had to take it and cater to his little temper tantrum tough guy act. LOL. He needs to grow up and develop some mental toughness.

The New Mexico coach did nothing wrong, based on what we see in the video. That player should get some kind of discipline, though.

It takes two to tango. This is only one angle of one video. The NM coach could have said or done other stuff between the game and postgame. He could have easily walked away from that situation, but didn't because he was standing next to other coaches and had to act like a tough guy.

It takes two to tango. This is only one angle of one video. The NM coach could have said or done other stuff between the game and postgame. He could have easily walked away from that situation, but didn't because he was standing next to other coaches and had to act like a tough guy.

I think it was the Colorado State player acting like a tough guy. The coach really had no obligation to walk anywhere. Could he have stood there silently instead? Yeah, probably, but he didn't exactly say anything too inflammatory in the video.

I think it was the Colorado State player acting like a tough guy. The coach really had no obligation to walk anywhere. Could he have stood there silently instead? Yeah, probably, but he didn't exactly say anything too inflammatory in the video.
Not in the video, at least anything we can hear with his back turned to us, no. Again, we don't know what he said when he walked by the bench during/immediately after the game. I think this is a typical "act like a tough guy when 15 6'4+ guys have my back" by both parties.

Edit: just watched again with volume up. "I'm right here, I'm right here... Learn how to lose boy..." The player should have walked away, but the NM coach could have handled it a lot differently also.

That's the game that was holding me up from watching our game! There was a real hard pick set and the refs took about 20 min deciding if it was a flagrant or not, reviewing the monitors, etc. There was only 2 min left when that happened and a blow out anyways, and it seemed like eternity for them to switch to the SU game.

Terence Wrencher. There is a name from the passed. He played during the golden era of college hoops.

If I am not mistaken, the NM coach was ejected from the game...apparently he was doing a lot of talking towards the other team during the game and when that pick happened, he said too much and apparently the refs had enough...that coach and another NM assistant coach got booted from the game...I am guessing the NM coach said stuff to that player during the game...

I think the player instigated what occurred after the game outside...but the not very professional by that assistant coach either during or after the game...I think fault for the situation is on both sides...

The NM assistant coach should've walked away. Be the mature, better man...the adult, if you will.
He wanted no parts of a 6'8 230+ lb athlete in his prime, but was basically goading him, making the situation worse. The blame falls on the adult, regardless of what further actions are taken against the young hothead.
That AC acted mighty brave surrounded by all those other people watching the spectacle. Very unnecessary situation, and very avoidable, IMO.

The NM assistant coach should've walked away. Be the mature, better man...the adult, if you will.
He wanted no parts of a 6'8 230+ lb athlete in his prime, but was basically goading him, making the situation worse. The blame falls on the adult, regardless of what further actions are taken against the young hothead.
That AC acted mighty brave surrounded by all those other people watching the spectacle. Very unnecessary situation, and very avoidable, IMO.

I know we all tend to flip flop on whether or not 18-21 year olds are adults, but in a situation like this, that player doesn't get to use immaturity as an excuse. His brain is fully capable of determining what is right and wrong and he should be in control of his emotions. The law would consider him an adult if it escalated to the point of criminal charges, so he's an adult.

Like others have said, both parties are responsible for what happened and both parties should have acted with more maturity. The player was the aggressor in the video and the coach egged him on. Both are at fault for the whole incident.

ftr, that coach didn't look like a small guy. I don't think he was too intimidated by a 'kid' with bravado.

Edit: Looked it up. The CSU player is a senior. At that age, you're an adult. You can do everything but rent a car and you're expected to be a fully functioning, productive citizen. Your brain is also 99.99% as emotionally developed as it's ever going to be. Immaturity is no excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - can't believe some here are siding with the coach on this. He should be the mature one and walk the away. Instead he kept chirping and inciting the thing. What a clown.

been a tough year for CSU: first Gillon bailed on them, then they had 3 guys flunk out for the spring semester, now this. If Omogbo gets any sort of league suspension, it will leave them with just 6 eligible players.

Last edited:
Yep - can't believe some here are siding with the coach on this. He should be the mature one and walk the away. Instead he kept chirping and inciting the thing. What a clown.

I can't believe so many are taking the responsibility away from the 21 or 22 year old man who couldn't control his emotions.

I can't believe so many are taking the responsibility away from the 21 or 22 year old man who couldn't control his emotions.
just read the backstory . . . the player's parents were killed in a housefire last year, and before a game last season Rencher supposedly mocked him for it. He said something before this incident, too; it was something innocuous like "take that L, boy." Given the history, that was enough to send Omogbo off.

Omogbo is a man and will have to take the consequences, but Rencher sounds like a real a-hole.

I'm REALLY glad Rencher is black, cause calling the kid "boy" would be beyond the pale if coach was white or Asian or anything but NOT black. Pun intended of course.

And if Rencher and another assistant coach got their butts thrown out of the game earlier, I'll bet the $ you all are betting about whether Roberson gets drafted by the NBA or not that both coaches trash talked the kid about the domestic violence charges on the court.

IMNSHO it's one thing for fellow players and fans to do that during a game. The kid would have to suck it up IMO. But for the opposing COACHING STAFF to do so - beyond tacky.

Like the OP said, none of our assistants would EVER do those kind of dirty tricks, especially in concert, during a game, to try to win. It's not in their character and JB would bust a cap on THEM if they did!

Terrence Rencher - Wikipedia

just read the backstory . . . the player's parents were killed in a housefire last year, and before a game last season Rencher supposedly mocked him for it. He said something before this incident, too; it was something innocuous like "take that L, boy." Given the history, that was enough to send Omogbo off.

Omogbo is a man and will have to take the consequences, but Rencher sounds like a real a-hole.

I knew about the 'take the L' comment but not that he might've mentioned the death of the player's parents previously. If that's the case, then yes, Rencher is a and deserves the blame.

I also agree that our assistant coaches wouldn't do this.

I don't think anyone is excusing the player's behavior, but surely you have to see where the "professional", the older supposedly more mature assistant coach, would be expected to behave better than he did? Age IS a factor here, since with age comes greater maturity...supposedly. I know my own temper was not the same at 40, as it was at 21.
Why stand there and say anything at all? Walk. Away.

Ooh, the plot thickens. Or perhaps sickens, if it is true that last season Rencher trash talked a grieving kid who lost his parents in a fire.

I would say, as a person who worked in the courts for 25 years, that losing your parents in that manner would constitute "extenuating circumstances" re the domestic violence charges, and if I was the judge I'd give him the most lenient sentence possible along with community service in some appropriate way - maybe going to schools to tell kids why you don't take your frustrations out on your loved ones, physically, ever - and extensive counseling to deal with that horrible, terrible nightmare of a scenario.

As for Rencher, his name should be Retcher cause that's what I want to do if the story you linked is true, Oraiste. No wonder he lasted such a short time in the NBA if he had attitude problems there and also maybe overseas and in the assistant coaching ranks.

Feh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom