Class of 2016 - Commit Status | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Commit Status

money3189 said:
yeah cornelius, mcfarlane, even morgan can very well follow the paths of kinder and sloan. just my thoughts, no inside info.

That's fine if they have their degrees. If not, it's not a good look.

If they dont have their degrees after four years and all those summer terms, they need to own it (or whoever was advising them).

That's fine if they have their degrees. If not, it's not a good look.
yeah definitely doesnt look good. Hey did you see whats going on at Penn st? alot of guys are leaving from players to coaches. Its crazy. Franklin might bring that program down. I know he can recruit. Im still waiting to see if he can coach.

money3189 said:
yeah definitely doesnt look good. Hey did you see whats going on at Penn st? alot of guys are leaving from players to coaches. Its crazy. Franklin might bring that program down. I know he can recruit. Im still waiting to see if he can coach.

Yea I've seen it. Couldn't happen to a better program. Franklin is very overrated.

Shrmdougluvr said:
If they dont have their degrees after four years and all those summer terms, they need to own it (or whoever was advising them).

Many athletes don't have their degree in 4 years. Playing a sport can sometimes cause an athlete not to take a full load every semester. Many do get done in 4 years but not all of them.

Yea I've seen it. Couldn't happen to a better program. Franklin is very overrated.
I think David Jones of the Harrisburg Patriot News has the best take on why Franklin isn't a good fit at Penn State:
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...ball_james_fran_24.html#incart_social_feature

His bottom line conclusion: Franklin's fast-talking salesman demeanor works better at a school that's not as grounded in tradition as Ped State. Worth a read. I especially enjoyed this excerpt:

"They (Penn State fans) don't need empty slogans like "Dominate the State" and "Unrivaled" and all the rest of the conveyor belt of BS that Franklin has delivered to their eyes and ears like the largest Hyundai and Kia dealer in all of the Tri-State Area because James Franklin simply will not be undersold!"

Last edited:
Many athletes don't have their degree in 4 years. Playing a sport can sometimes cause an athlete not to take a full load every semester. Many do get done in 4 years but not all of them.
what is a full load? most kids take 3-5 classes a semester, what is full time at SU ? even if you make it 3 all 8 semesters that would mean 16 classes to graduate and you can make up that in the 3 off seasons.. Are kids really doing that? I would expect most kids to lighten up in the fall and then normal load in the spring. that leaves 8 classes to make up in 3 summers..

this assumes you pass them all and dont have to retake anything. Also depends on what kind if HS the kids went to and how many AP courses they start with.

upperdeck said:
what is a full load? most kids take 3-5 classes a semester, what is full time at SU ? even if you make it 3 all 8 semesters that would mean 16 classes to graduate and you can make up that in the 3 off seasons.. Are kids really doing that? I would expect most kids to lighten up in the fall and then normal load in the spring. that leaves 8 classes to make up in 3 summers.. this assumes you pass them all and dont have to retake anything. Also depends on what kind if HS the kids went to and how many AP courses they start with.

To play athletics you have to be full time which is a minimum of 12 hours per semester. But a full load would nominally be the number of hours you need to graduate in your degree program divided by 8 semesters. Typically most programs at are around 120-125 credits unless you are double majoring or have a minor. So a full load would be 15, maybe 16 hours a semester.

I think David Jones of the Harrisburg Patriot News has the best take on why Franklin isn't a good fit at Penn State:
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefo...ball_james_fran_24.html#incart_social_feature

His bottom line conclusion: Franklin's fast-talking salesman demeanor works better at a school that's not as grounded in tradition as Ped State. Worth a read. I especially enjoyed this excerpt:

"They (Penn State fans) don't need empty slogans like "Dominate the State" and "Unrivaled" and all the rest of the conveyor belt of BS that Franklin has delivered to their eyes and ears like the largest Hyundai and Kia dealer in all of the Tri-State Area because James Franklin simply will not be undersold!"
I think pedophiles and their enablers/accomplices are pretty fast talkers.

To play athletics you have to be full time which is a minimum of 12 hours per semester. But a full load would nominally be the number of hours you need to graduate in your degree program divided by 8 semesters. Typically most programs at are around 120-125 credits unless you are double majoring or have a minor. So a full load would be 15, maybe 16 hours a semester.

This. 12 hours is the minimum.
Which I'm sure is close to what many student-athletes take, so they have sufficient time for their sport.
Maybe they can do an additional class in the Spring semester, and then 1-2 classes each summer session.

Assuming you remained academically eligible for all 4 years, and took a summer class here and there, IF you didn't have your degree by then, you'd certainly have to be very close.

Most students don't get a degree in 4 years. Its about 4.5-5 years, on average.

Brad Benson Hyundai; formerly of super bowl winning 1986 Giants

Talked with a Former Penn State Player (Def MVP ) Fiesta Bowl his son plays for the Raiders. He said long before the Paterno Scandal that Mike Munchak should be the next PSU Coach and many of the former players felt the same. Also intersting little blurb about Dick Tomey HCDB boss at one time

Correct me where I'm wrong:

Scholarships available:

Where does Zack Mahoney fit into this picture? I don't see him listed on the roster in the "fishes & loaves" post. Has he been awarded a scholarship? If so, how does that affect the total number of scholarships available?

He doesn't have a scholarship so has no effect on the numbers.
Thanks for the information. I am a bit surprised and a little disappointed that SU hasn't found a scholarship for Zack after the work he did this past season.

Thanks for the information. I am a bit surprised and a little disappointed that SU hasn't found a scholarship for Zack after the work he did this past season.
Truth be told, this is Dino's team now and he did nothing to benefit Dino last year. If they can use all available scholarships to bring in quality players to fit the new system they will. It's unfortunate for Mahoney, but tying up a scholarship when it could be used to benefit the team in the long run is probably not high on Babers' agenda.

If we "find" Zack a scholarship, we'll have no more room at the inn, and we'll have to cancel all of next week's visits. ;)

Talked with a Former Penn State Player (Def MVP ) Fiesta Bowl his son plays for the Raiders. He said long before the Paterno Scandal that Mike Munchak should be the next PSU Coach and many of the former players felt the same. Also intersting little blurb about Dick Tomey HCDB boss at one time
Pssst, it's Leo Wisniewski ;)

With the Joshua Black commitment, which is brings us to #21, are we done now? I'm sure there has to be a non-qualifier in there somewhere. There always is.

With the Joshua Black commitment, which is brings us to #21, are we done now? I'm sure there has to be a non-qualifier in there somewhere. There always is.
Most likely no non-qualifiers, kids had to fax over transcripts before coming on visits. You never know with NCAA they might "find" something...

Most regular students take more than 4 years.

is this really true? of the kids who graduate do most take more than 4 years?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom