Conclusions from the season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Conclusions from the season

The end of the season conclusions.
Donahue had a good season not as productive as last year due to the absense of more lethal attackers. And he lost his at least 1 goal a game, at his last game.
Evans...man, had some production, but still struggles finding his place and his niche on this team. Will need to step up big time next year, if we will be dangerous.
Piroli. Injury must've been a lot more serious than first thought. Really would've liked to see what the season would've been with him playing.
Mariano. Beast! What more to say, very productive, I expect very very very big things from him next year, whether that's middie or attack. Would like to see assist number go up.
Salcido. Great surprise, it clicked this year and had will be a major threat next year. Will draw some of the opposing teams best defenders.
Barber. Good year from him. I don't really have anything to nitpick on him.
Mullins very good year will miss him next year, as someone else posted he shut down Cloutier in both games.
Mellon. All American honorable mention next year, that's my prediction. Stud.
Hill...ughhhhhh what happened. Wish him the best of luck in the mll and nll.
Williams- need him to win them in critical situations.
Soloman. Very good this year in his time, obv look for him to start next year, really like him. Expecting some very good number next year.
Shewell. I like him, can't wait to see more of him next year.
Firman. Looked to be more comfortable and more focused, hoping for the next step next year.
Lane. We saw flashes. Could be a big time threat next year. Hopefully he works on accuracy and moves.
Weston. Uhhhh senior, hopefully we can see more progression next year maybe. 12 and 7 type year, probably not gonna happen but a worthy hope.
Simmons. Idk. Expected lot of good things this year and he didn't deliever.
Thorpe. Hope to see more next year, really like him.
Voigt. Didn't get much run this year hopefully see more of him on attack next year.
Dejoe. Ehhhhh had flashes. Wish he would have one more season.
Gillis. Ssdm had what 5 goals? Big transition threat.
Ciferri. Needs work in the offseason.
Carlin. Wonder what for home next year
McKinney. See above
Molloy. Did well when thrown into the fire. Can't wait to see more of home next year.

Expecting Romano to do some good things next year.
Bomberry thought he'd have a bigger piece this year, but got stuck behind other talent.

Desko. Needs some better game planning.
Would be cool to see Powell come to cuse as assistant and help the offense better game plan.

The expectation that Syracuse should be playing Memorial Weekend every year is bananas. The game has changed so much in the last 30 years. More kids playing. More schools participating. Parity has never been higher. Teams are just better than they used to be. First round games aren't a guaranteed win anymore. Just like making the NCAA Hoops Final Four, it does take a little bit of luck, as well as favorable matchups. The dominance that 'Cuse displayed in the 80s, 90s, and early 2000s will not happen again in this sport. Lacrosse has changed.

Had the bracket been laid out differently, Cuse could have been in the Final Four and everyone would be singing a different song because "at least we made the Final Four".
The expectation is a Final Four and that should never change. Is it realistic? For the reasons you stated no its not, but the goal/expectation should always be a FF and an NC. On a recent tour of the athletic facilities, I was told by an athletic dept staffer that if its not a NC in lax then the season is not a success.

Bottom line - for years Hopkins & us split all of the top talent and the titles.

Now it is spread around much more evenly. You take any of the Top Ten teams & let them play each other & it is pretty much a 50 - 50 or 60-40 proposition as to who beats who. It is simply a question of who gets hot at the right time.

I am tired of all this get rid of Desko garbage. Is it his fault our shooters hit pipe instead of net & our goalie had a bad game ? The margins between teams are so thin now that just a couple of pipes and/or cheap goals are game changers.

Does anybody here really believe that this year we had championship talent ? We played for a FF berth, that is probably the upside as to how good we were.

Right now we are amongst several programs who are pretty much Top Ten every year. If we had that in hoops we would no longer be SU - we would be Boeheim U. So, why do fans here think that is so ugly for the lax program ???

We can't bring back our history.

If truth be told, I think the last few seasons we have just not had the truly elite superstar. I think if we had one of those players we would have won a title or two. When we get that player that will be the time to raise expectations.
Coaches and managers make all the difference , look at Madden and the Cubs. Maybe Desko can get the fire back , but lately it looks like going thru the motions. Like Girardi at the Yankees. , lots of excuses.

at some point during the desko era we decided to pump the brakes instead of take it to the goal on breakouts. has it worked ? evidence suggests otherwise.

Hmmmm, I clearly remember hanging out at, and taking in every nook and cranny of, Manley Fieldhouse on September 14, 2007. The thing I remembered most, after seeing JD & Co. on their way to lunch, was the impression that the lax coaches were clueless. Lo' and behold, they went on to win the national championship that year.

The last couple of years, I've had the same impression of the coaching staff from afar. I've personally seen (local) wins over St. John's (last season) and now the ACC championship.

The coaching staff doesn't seem all that different, but the end results have.

The clock is ticking... in 2 years time, both Kevin and Gary will be free of family obligations that tie them to SU. Do you let them go, or give them a chance to reboot the program?

Last edited:
5). I have not been one to express active dissatisfaction with the coaching staff...until now. I think it might be time for a change. To my mind, John has grown a little too comfortable with the idea that parity is a fact of lacrosse life and the program seems to have lost those expectations of excellence that fed its success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom