Coyle addresses the coaching situation | Syracusefan.com

Coyle addresses the coaching situation

I hadn't seen people talking about this, which is surprising so I'm guessing there's a chance I missed it somewhere else, but:

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/in...d_x_number_of_wins_qa_wit.html#incart_m-rpt-1

Reading between the lines, it sure as hell sounds to me like Shafer is safe this year, outside of an absolute disaster of a season.
Sure sounds like that but I am fine with a major football housecleaning if another 3 - 9 season is on the horizon. I do like HCSS but the Cuse desperately needs to get back in the game with football and AD Coyle is just the man that will make it happen. Want the Cuse to get out of the Kansas, Illinois, Iowa State, Colorado, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Washington State, Wake Forest, Indiana non-bowl game level of play and into the next tier of P5 teams.

It's the best Bud article ever, because it features virtually no Bud.
No whiz bang? No words that haven't been used since the invention of moving pictures?

No whiz bang? No words that haven't been used since the invention of moving pictures?

Moving pictures are just a fad, like motorcars and the printing press.

I'm always fascinated with how people interpret things. From just those two quotes from Coyle I wouldn't say that Shafer is either safe or in danger. My interpretation is that Coyle has yet to even talk extensively with Shafer and has yet to evaluate the state of the program.

Given his anecdote about Rich Brooks at Kentucky he's implying that just because wins may not be happening in the amount the fan base wants doesn't mean that the program itself isn't on a good trajectory. So he's laying the groundwork to address fans' bloodlust should we fail to win games this year IF he feels Shafer is on the right path. But it also sounds like he hasn't determined IF he's on that right path yet.

Meanwhile he said some GREAT things about the Dome, the budget and the marketing plan.

I'm always fascinated with how people interpret things. From just those two quotes from Coyle I wouldn't say that Shafer is either safe or in danger. My interpretation is that Coyle has yet to even talk extensively with Shafer and has yet to evaluate the state of the program.

Given his anecdote about Rich Brooks at Kentucky he's implying that just because wins may not be happening in the amount the fan base wants doesn't mean that the program itself isn't on a good trajectory. So he's laying the groundwork to address fans' bloodlust should we fail to win games this year IF he feels Shafer is on the right path. But it also sounds like he hasn't determined IF he's on that right path yet.

Meanwhile he said some GREAT things about the Dome, the budget and the marketing plan.

Yes I'm surprised there haven't been more comments about his focusing on Syracuse, describing it as the core, rather than NYC.

Yes I'm surprised there haven't been more comments about his focusing on Syracuse, describing it as the core, rather than NYC.
Thought his comments could be interpreted as an indirect criticism of Dr Gross' focus on NYC. Or just some harmless generic AD speak.

At this point, I don't think anything he says has great import. He appears to be in the early stages of learning about his new job and I don't see him making any big decisions until he knows more about where things currently stand.

That being said, his caution saying much of anything right now is, I think, a good sign.

Agreed, especially given how hotly debated those topics have been around here.

My opinion is that he struck all the right chords. I actually supported Gross moving games to NY/NJ and his NYC marketing campaign as well as the "NY's College Team" branding. It all made sense when we were in a severely weakened Big East Football Conference and were trying to ensure (a) that we had enough revenue and exposure to compete, and (b) that we ended up as a "have" when the game of conference realignment musical chairs stopped.

But at the moment there doesn't seem to be any need to continue completely with that strategy. All games should be played at the Dome barring a very, very unique circumstance. And while there's no reason to end the the NY's College Team branding, we should rethink how we're using our precious marketing dollars. Yankee Stadium signage and taxi ads don't seem to be the most effective way we can spend money anymore, IMHO.

Thought his comments could be interpreted as an indirect criticism of Dr Gross' focus on NYC. Or just some harmless generic AD speak.

At this point, I don't think anything he says has great import. He appears to be in the early stages of learning about his new job and I don't see him making any big decisions until he knows more about where things currently stand.

That being said, his caution saying much of anything right now is, I think, a good sign.

Yep, reporters keep trying to get him to make bold predictions or declarations of change. He won't do that for a while if at all. I do agree with you, the one thing I took from that Q&A was a bit of a smack on TGD's NYC philosophy and MC kinda implying he needs to focus on CNY. That should make most people here happy. NYC has been quite the debatable subject for years.

Yankee Stadium signage and taxi ads don't seem to be the most effective way we can spend money anymore, IMHO.

It was a good idea at the time. The NYC campaign was for conference expansion and tv execs. It got all the geographic rivals and wannabes riled up and some even started copycat campaigns. Now that we're in a more secure conference situtation, I'm sure the chancellor will ask him point blank about how he's going to improve attendance. That has to be priority #1 for SU's marketing strategy. The next big campaign has to be about getting those who live within two hours of the Dome to come to the games. And that could be done with with a well advertised change in the ticket pricing structure.

Nice avatar

That's how I took it too, and I totally agree. That's the way it should be done. Sure wins and losses are big, but you can usually tell if a HC is in over his head or not, and with some of the decisions HCSS has made his first 2 years, i'd very much say he's on the hot seat. He most certainly should get a fair shake this season, but we have to start seeing some improvements as far as game management, game planning, discipline and recruiting. It's also important to view some how of his hires progress (Lester, Adam). We need to see improvements from the offense, and offensive line. If the units tank that's indicative just as much on the HC, as it is the position coach.

Right now if i'm evaluating the HC what would his strengths be? I'd say the team plays hard for him, and the team has an identity on the defensive side of the ball. What else though?

It was a good idea at the time. The NYC campaign was for conference expansion and tv execs. It got all the geographic rivals and wannabes riled up and some even started copycat campaigns. Now that we're in a more secure conference situtation, I'm sure the chancellor will ask him point blank about how he's going to improve attendance. That has to be priority #1 for SU's marketing strategy. The next big campaign has to be about getting those who live within two hours of the Dome to come to the games. And that could be done with with a well advertised change in the ticket pricing structure.
there are a ton of things you can do to get the message out to more people. send people out to the local events, doing a better job at the state fair for one thing. a booth stuck in some dark corner is not good enough. get in the parade, get in small town parades. look at the festivals all summer long and hit them up , more golf outings, sponsor some bbq's , some coaching dinner events, a monthly off-season tv show event, raffle a box seat event

Agreed, especially given how hotly debated those topics have been around here.

My opinion is that he struck all the right chords. I actually supported Gross moving games to NY/NJ and his NYC marketing campaign as well as the "NY's College Team" branding. It all made sense when we were in a severely weakened Big East Football Conference and were trying to ensure (a) that we had enough revenue and exposure to compete, and (b) that we ended up as a "have" when the game of conference realignment musical chairs stopped.

But at the moment there doesn't seem to be any need to continue completely with that strategy. All games should be played at the Dome barring a very, very unique circumstance. And while there's no reason to end the the NY's College Team branding, we should rethink how we're using our precious marketing dollars. Yankee Stadium signage and taxi ads don't seem to be the most effective way we can spend money anymore, IMHO.
without going down the Giants Stadium games DHT again (1x every 3 or 4 years will work ;)Oh Lord) but addressing the rest of the NY College Team campaign, let me say that i do get a thrill of seeing the Syracuse sign at Yankee Stadium. i think it works well as a branding for the school and helps to drive applications. its basically on sportscenter 81x + a year as someone is often dropping a homerun right in front of it. as for the cabs, ehh whatever. put the $$ elsewhere like finding a way to get people within 120 mile radius of the Dome there more often.

totally agree.

but IMO he basically told SS to leave his cue card responses such as 'we are going to lock people in the Dome...blah blah blah' BS at home and demonstrate to me results or tell me now what is a problem.

I agree with all of that, and that's why I said "anymore".

I've always felt, and I've stated it repeatedly on SU boards going back to the 90s actually, that SU needs to focus on reaching people in a " geographic diamond" that extends east-west from Albany to Rochester, and north-south from Binghamton to Watertown.

The markets in that territory cover 3.5 million people, which is more than enough to fill a 49K seat stadium 6 times a Fall, assuming the team is interesting and competitive, and the marketing is well executed.

Not really sure how much more competitive he can be with the ticket pricing as we are already pretty damn cheap compared to other P5 programs. With that being said, he needs to figure out the neverending attendance problem. It is beyond embarrassing when they play that jacked up intro video at the football games in front of a 2/3 empty stadium. Obviously winning will help, but there is a still a fundamental disconnect between CNY and SU Football that needs to be repaired.

there are a ton of things you can do to get the message out to more people. send people out to the local events, doing a better job at the state fair for one thing. a booth stuck in some dark corner is not good enough. get in the parade, get in small town parades. look at the festivals all summer long and hit them up , more golf outings, sponsor some bbq's , some coaching dinner events, a monthly off-season tv show event, raffle a box seat event

I think the community is still reeling from the Jake C comments before he left. That combined with lack of W's. Need genuine local outreach combined with the things you mention.

Bridge building was not Gross's strength.

So, someone with a better memory than me: right after being hired, did the Good Doc get all the coaches together and tell them as important as their teams are, football drives the bus?

That's all I had to hear to be sold as a Coyle fan.

Sure sounds like that but I am fine with a major football housecleaning if another 3 - 9 season is on the horizon. I do like HCSS but the Cuse desperately needs to get back in the game with football and AD Coyle is just the man that will make it happen. Want the Cuse to get out of the Kansas, Illinois, Iowa State, Colorado, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Washington State, Wake Forest, Indiana non-bowl game level of play and into the next tier of P5 teams.

Better than being a second division MAC team like it was with Grob.

I think the community is still reeling from the Jake C comments before he left. That combined with lack of W's. Need genuine local outreach combined with the things you mention.

Bridge building was not Gross's strength.
the home record has been enough, jake or buzz or whoever's words don't matter

9-20 against former BCS or current P5 teams at home since 2009.

the diehards who travel to games might forget just how bad it is at home

Millhouse said:
the home record has been enough, jake or buzz or whoever's words don't matter 9-20 against former BCS or current P5 teams at home since 2009. the diehards who travel to games might forget just how bad it is at home

It's both. Fans need to feel important. Like their contribution matters... So to that end - w's and some genuine outreach/bridge building.

Not to mention competence. Hard to be a fan when you have to tell people about the 44 fallout or spelling issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom