Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday - Coyle Articles | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Wednesday Coyle Articles

CiL9LIXWMAEL0d7.jpg

Look at it this way. If you told me that we could hire an AD who would hire Babers, but he would leave after only 11 months, I would do that trade in a heartbeat.

At least he had time to hire Babers before chasing a paycheck out of town. Unfortunately, Babers was the only of of the two who turned out to be genuine and professional.

Minnesota spent $105.5 million on sports during 2014-15, according to federal documents, while Syracuse spent $67.3 million. It's a discrepancy that creates a perception gap between the two programs, even if it isn't evident from wins and losses.

This jumped out at me when I read the article. Apples and oranges, IMO. They get more money than we do, I get it. But they also play more sports than we do.

The men's sports that don't overlap are:
SU: Lacrosse, Rowing, Soccer
MN: Baseball, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Swimming, Wrestling
Those 6 have to cost at least twice as much as the 3 SU sports. At least. Probably close to 3-4 times as much.

The women's sports that don't overlap are:
SU: Field Hockey, Lacrosse
MN: Golf, Gymnastics, Swimming
I have to think those are mostly a wash.

Of course, I don't know how many scholarships each sport gives out (and too lazy to look them up), or whether the accounting for those scholarships is included in those numbers. I was just thinking about all the non-academic costs involved. You can't just say MN spends almost $40M more than SU and that's the reason Coyle left.

Look at it this way. If you told me that we could hire an AD who would hire Babers, but he would leave after only 11 months, I would do that trade in a heartbeat.
Me too. At least he hired us a real football coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom