Crazy Ending In Colorado Last Night | Syracusefan.com

Crazy Ending In Colorado Last Night

NYCorange

2nd String
I would be so, so, SO pissed if this happened to us. Everyone knows that it takes an extra tenth of a second to get the clock started. It looked to me like it happened about as fast as can be. My best guess is that the refs timed a half-speed video. Or maybe the game was fixed--the betting line moved from Boise St. -1.5 to Boise St. -3.5 right before tipoff because of "big money." Who bets big money on middling mountain west games??!:eek: There was also a pretty bad palming violation against Boise St. that allowed CSU to tie it up in the first place. I'd do a full investigation into the refs.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...-state-colorado-state-buzzer-timer-refs-clock

clock doesnt start on touch it starts when the ref says to start it.. you cant really anticipate the tough so there has to be some leeway for reaction time.

he also got it off with close to .4 left on the clock where did they come up with another second?

in any case, it's good for us!
(BSU is a borderline bubble team)

I would be so, so, SO pissed if this happened to us. Everyone knows that it takes an extra tenth of a second to get the clock started. It looked to me like it happened about as fast as can be. My best guess is that the refs timed a half-speed video. Or maybe the game was fixed--the betting line moved from Boise St. -1.5 to Boise St. -3.5 right before tipoff because of "big money." Who bets big money on middling mountain west games??!:eek: There was also a pretty bad palming violation against Boise St. that allowed CSU to tie it up in the first place. I'd do a full investigation into the refs.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bas...-state-colorado-state-buzzer-timer-refs-clock

If you've ran the clock during a basketball game it's not easy!!! Especially when you are trying to get the score right and the clock going at the right time. And on the clock on our gym for CYO the score button sticks for the home team leading to all kinds of fun.

All I have to say is I would never do the clock for a college game! My God, you have to be perfect or you will get killed!

Did the Atlanta timekeepers move to Colorado?

(an NBA joke)

Unless the ref officially started the clock when he gave the ball to the player, the replay shows the shot was off in more then enough time.

Unless the ref officially started the clock when he gave the ball to the player, the replay shows the shot was off in more then enough time.

The officials' contention is that the clock wasn't started correctly (as in, it was started late). By rule the game clock starts when the ball is touched by a player on the floor. However, with under .3 seconds, the player cannot "catch and shoot," rather, he can only "tip, touch, or tap" the ball. Since there was .8 left, there was "plenty of time" to catch and shoot, provided the clock was started correctly. The problem is that the clock operator must watch the official administering the trow-in, and start the clock when the official makes his "chop" motion. There is naturally some latency in this sequence, always has been. But the clocks showing tenths of a second, and the use of the replay camera, have made this a mess to administer.

In regular play, the shot clock now is started not by a shot-clock operator, but by a switch on the official's belt which he hits with one hand while signalling with the other to the game clock operator. This is a problem, because, if I'm correct, the game clock starts when the ball is touched, but the shot clock doesn't start until the ball is "controlled" by a player from either team.

Frankly, it's a mess, and it's going to cause even bigger problems downstream if it's not addressed now. It's potentially as much a sh!tshow as the NFL's "must survive contact with the ground" fiasco.:noidea:

Last edited:
players play to the time they see on the clock. not the time that SHOULD have been on the clock.

why doesnt the NCAA actually do something about this since everyone but the MWC knows they screwed it up.

where is the replay that shows when the ref told the clock guy to start thats part of the equation too.

[QUOTE="Dave85, post: 1653180, member: 3946 And on the clock on our gym for CYO the score button sticks for the home team leading to all kinds of fun.

QUOTE]

Yeah right!;):rolling: How many times has that excuse worked for you?

[QUOTE="Dave85, post: 1653180, member: 3946 And on the clock on our gym for CYO the score button sticks for the home team leading to all kinds of fun.

QUOTE]

Yeah right!;):rolling: How many times has that excuse worked for you?

One time I fat fingered it. But problem is every now and then one push gives two points. And some pushes no points. So what you have to do is turn your head away from the game to make sure the clock is right. It's wireless to the board. I've been at other courts where half through the game the board has stopped working and they have to bring out the table one.

As I said, unless you've done it, you don't know what it's about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom