Crudgers | Syracusefan.com

Crudgers

A few observations...

1. Cool that the Carrier Dome was listed #2.
2. I think it largely depends on what game you attend for most facilities. For example, go to a game at the Dome against Duke, Gtown, Conn, Villanova, UNC and others on that level and the Dome is more like #1. However, go to a game against Colgate and we might drop to 50 or so. The smaller arenas don't take as much of a hit because filling a 15-18K arena is much less challenging than filling a 30+ dome consistently. That's the other thing impressive about our fan base (even with inferior competition we will still have over 20k in attendance).
3. I don't like Dook. Let me say it again, I really don't like Dook. However, having Cameron ranked 31 is ridiculous. I guess it depends on the criteria you are using. There is a reason that they are incredibly difficult to beat at home - their fan support throughout the entire game is exceptional (no one sits).
4. I have mixed feelings about our clapping tradition. If we score quickly then it's cool. However, if we go 3-4 minutes without scoring, it brings more attention to the fact that we are without a basket. I kind of like the idea of reversing it. Perhaps not clapping but doing something for as long as we keep the other team from scoring. It would be fun to ridicule the other team for not being able to make a hoop for several minutes. I know it won't happen but that's just my preference.
5. Butgers sucks although for as bad as they are, the RAC is not an easy place to play. We have gotten bit there before. I went to one game many years ago when we were playing. The stands are incredibly steep so the seats are almost towering over the court. That's probably why it can get so loud on the court. I don't think the RAC is a great facility, but to be fair, it's also not that bad to rank them at 335.

I agree about the clapping and like the idea of reversing it. Why would we stop clapping when we have momentum? Should be the other way around.

The RAC should be a good home court because its a glorified HS Gym like Cameron Indoor and fans can get on top of the players and make both places tough. The only problem is Rutgers on the court sucks so the arena isn't tough to win while Cameron Indoor is ridiculous for the opposite reason.

The Dome is difficulty one of the best places for college basketball with the Dean Dome, Cameron, Rupp, Pauley Pavilion, Hinkel Fieldhouse,Gallagher-Iba, McKale Center, Allen Fieldhouse, Indiana Assembly Hall, Yum Center and I am sure I am missing some.

A few observations...

2. I think it largely depends on what game you attend for most facilities. For example, go to a game at the Dome against Duke, Gtown, Conn, Villanova, UNC and others on that level and the Dome is more like #1. However, go to a game against Colgate and we might drop to 50 or so. The smaller arenas don't take as much of a hit because filling a 15-18K arena is much less challenging than filling a 30+ dome consistently. That's the other thing impressive about our fan base (even with inferior competition we will still have over 20k in attendance).
3. I don't like Dook. Let me say it again, I really don't like Dook. However, having Cameron ranked 31 is ridiculous. I guess it depends on the criteria you are using. There is a reason that they are incredibly difficult to beat at home - their fan support throughout the entire game is exceptional (no one sits).
4. I have mixed feelings about our clapping tradition. If we score quickly then it's cool. However, if we go 3-4 minutes without scoring, it brings more attention to the fact that we are without a basket. I kind of like the idea of reversing it. Perhaps not clapping but doing something for as long as we keep the other team from scoring. It would be fun to ridicule the other team for not being able to make a hoop for several minutes. I know it won't happen but that's just my preference.
5. Butgers sucks although for as bad as they are, the RAC is not an easy place to play. We have gotten bit there before. I went to one game many years ago when we were playing. The stands are incredibly steep so the seats are almost towering over the court. That's probably why it can get so loud on the court. I don't think the RAC is a great facility, but to be fair, it's also not that bad to rank them at 335.

As usual, there's plenty to question about the methodology in a survey like this.
Seems completely subjective.
And factors such as "view of the game" and "fan involvement" seem secondary at best.

"Our reviews are based on several categories including: food & beverage in the arena, the overall atmosphere, the neighborhood in which the arena resides, the fans, the access (including traffic, parking, restrooms, and ability to move around in the arena), overall return on investment, and a catchall category for any extras. We use the rating of our correspondent as our primary ranking, with the crowd reviews of our members as the secondary factor."

I've been to several dozen arenas.
Duke is the best place I have ever watched a game. By far.
The Dome is a unique college experience. There's nothing like it in terms of its enormity and the crowds when the Orange pull in 30,000-plus.
And, in terms of volume, the RAC is the loudest place I've ever been. That was when Rutgers had a good team. The last time I was there, the deafening roar was for Johnny Flynn's slam over Mike Rosario.

A few observations...

Arizona does the reverse clap. Of course, we stole the clapping from our visit to the Pit in NM, so I guess it would be okay to steal someone else's tradition.

You know that list is bogus when you read the detailed review of the Carrier Dome and it was written by a breathless SU sophomore. It's nice to be #2 on the list, but it is beyond meaningless.

You know that list is bogus when you read the detailed review of the Carrier Dome and it was written by a breathless SU sophomore. It's nice to be #2 on the list, but it is beyond meaningless.

I chuckled when he wrote I-81 ran east/west...yowza! He would never have passed one of my Navigation check flights in the USAF.

"Nestled in the hills of Central New York, the Carrier Dome pops out of the landscape as you travel west on I-81. (Sorry for those traveling east, the view isn’t quite as spectacular.)

I chuckled when he wrote I-81 ran east/west...yowza! He would never have passed one of my Navigation check flights in the USAF.

"Nestled in the hills of Central New York, the Carrier Dome pops out of the landscape as you travel west on I-81. (Sorry for those traveling east, the view isn’t quite as spectacular.)

Didn't know you were a zoomie. What did you fly?

Cool! Lotta left turns, huh? Coulda been a NASCAR driver!

another big ten is right behind the 'girls

the more I read about the big ten the more I realize they fooled the networks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom