Curious why BJ got 0 minutes tonight... | Syracusefan.com

Curious why BJ got 0 minutes tonight...

He hasn't done much since being the 'garbage man' vs KSU.

We need him to be Michael Redd

tough to be the 7th man when the coach goes to a 6 man rotation. It was probably a good idea but tough to ride the pines when you've been playing. Tough kid, he'll just work harder.

Yesterday when we were down like 12 or 13 he entered the game and Williams hit an uncontested 3 on his side. We came down the court and he immediately turned it over. He was deer lost in headlights and unfortunately I doubt he will ever leave the bench in a meaningful game or once acc comes around

Yesterday when we were down like 12 or 13 he entered the game and Williams hit an uncontested 3 on his side. We came down the court and he immediately turned it over. He was deer lost in headlights and unfortunately I doubt he will ever leave the bench in a meaningful game or once acc comes around

Too early to make that proclamation.

Let's see how he plays in the next couple of games. But I do agree--yesterday's performance against Cal was a setback in terms of gaining JB's confidence.

BJ played poorly vs Cal. He took 2 quick, bad shots that came back in easy transition baskets because there was no floor balance. He lost shooters in the corner on his side multiple times. Probably why he didn't play today.

ummmm... did you watch Thursday's game? Johnson had one of the worst shooting performances I've ever seen from an SU player. 0-8 with half the shots not even hitting the rim, and he didn't seem to have any idea of how to discern between a good quality shot and a poor quality shot.

I think he's got a lot of potential (love the way he rebounded on Thursday) and his stroke looks like it could be really good if he gets some rhythm and confidence, but he's got to slow down his mechanics and stop rushing every shot. Hopefully he can get some more PT and gain some confidence in the next 2 games. I think he can play and make an impact this year, but today wasn't the day to play him after the way he shot last night.

Mason

His offense was off against Cal, but he also led the team in rebounds...8 rebounds in 13 minutes of play.

re-watch the Cal game

BJ checks in, jacks up 2 wild 3's, doesn't get back on D and gives up an easy layup, 2 defensive breakdowns on his side for corner 3's and that was just the 1st half

ummmm... did you watch Thursday's game? Johnson had one of the worst shooting performances I've ever seen from an SU player. 0-8 with half the shots not even hitting the rim, and he didn't seem to have any idea of how to discern between a good quality shot and a poor quality shot.

I think he's got a lot of potential (love the way he rebounded on Thursday) and his stroke looks like it could be really good if he gets some rhythm and confidence, but he's got to slow down his mechanics and stop rushing every shot. Hopefully he can get some more PT and gain some confidence in the next 2 games. I think he can play and make an impact this year, but today wasn't the day to play him after the way he shot last night.

Mason
Holy cow, Mason is alive and kicking! So nice to see you posting on the board. Hope you and the family are doing well.

He'll get his shots this year - he's not so far out of the rotation that I expect he'll disappear. He just needs to keep doing the little things, like rebounding well, and improve his shot selection a bit. If you're going to jack up threes early in the shot-clock, you better be hitting them at a pretty high clip.

Mason

Sure he had a bad game yesterday, and I am sure his defensive lapses are what got him in the doghouse, but it's not like everyone else was knocking down shots. For a team that is as offensively inept as we are, we can't afford to have our best natural scoring getting a DNP "coaches decision".

Sure he had a bad game yesterday, and I am sure his defensive lapses are what got him in the doghouse, but it's not like everyone else was knocking down shots. For a team that is as offensively inept as we are, we can't afford to have our best natural scoring getting a DNP "coaches decision".

I normally agree with giving guys a chance to show what they can do, but your "best natural scorer" doesn't have a game like BJ did yesterday, ever. Ever ever. That was one of the worst offensive showings I've ever seen. It doesn't mean he is dog meat, but it certainly means he's not quite ready for this stage yet. I hope he get's more chances, but you run a risk of completely destroying the kid's confidence if you put him out there to repeat something like that the very next night.

He's basically Mookie 2.0. Some more upside obviously but a gunner, nevertheless.

BJ needs PT to build confidence. JB apparently may not be willing to offer, with a quick hook looming. It's a shame because with BJ's stroke, I feel he could eventually be the 3 who gives us a lot of consistent 3s which we desperately need. We'll see how things so this year and beyond (more likely beyond).

I normally agree with giving guys a chance to show what they can do, but your "best natural scorer" doesn't have a game like BJ did yesterday, ever. Ever ever. That was one of the worst offensive showings I've ever seen. It doesn't mean he is dog meat, but it certainly means he's not quite ready for this stage yet. I hope he get's more chances, but you run a risk of completely destroying the kid's confidence if you put him out there to repeat something like that the very next night.

So completely benching him after a bad game is going to build up his confidence? I don't know about that. He had a bad game. If you think about it that was his first experience in a "big game". It just seems like certain people are given slack, while others are not.

Bj's still as young as most freshman. His time will come, give him a break. It's laughable to already compare him to Mookie.

Cry me a river. How about Mookie is The Terminator and BJ is a T-9000. A more advanced model. Better? ;)

Cry me a river. How about Mookie is The Terminator and BJ is a T-9000. A more advanced model. Better? ;)

After all is said and done, I believe BJ Johnson will be the more versatile high-volume scorer we all idealized Kris Joseph to be.

After all is said and done, I believe BJ Johnson will be the more versatile high-volume scorer we all idealized Kris Joseph to be.

Could be for sure. I was just living in the now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom