Current Offensive Philosophy? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Current Offensive Philosophy?

If we had a head coach with a competent offensive vision that conversation would have gone like...

SS: "Tim, I'm going to make a change. George just isn't implementing my offensive system the way I want. I'd like you to do it"

TL: "Absolutely, Scott. Your system is exciting and will lead to great things for this program, I'd be honored to implement it better for you."

SS: "Great, Tim, you have my full confidence to better run my system."

Instead we probably got...

SS: "Tim, I'm going to make a change. I'd like you to be OC."

TL: "Absolutely, Scott. I'm excited to get through the rest of this season and then implement my system for next year."

SS: "Great, Tim. If you need me I'll be in Bullough's office. Good luck. #hardnosed"
We're implementing our @sses off

The system stuff makes me insane. Figuratively insane.

How in the holy hell can our head coach be party to changing an offensive system EIGHTEEN MONTHS after the prior one was installed?!?!

It's idiotic and a colossal failure of leadership and vision.

Which brings us back full circle to a point I made above: given that SS was a collegiate QB, wouldn't you think that he'd at least have some kind of central identity concept for offense? That doesn't mean that he wouldn't entrust the logistics to a competent OC, who might have some variations on the theme--but doesn't it stand to reason that a head coach with an offensive background would at least have a strategic vision for what type of offense he wants to run?

Which brings us back full circle to a point I made above: given that SS was a collegiate QB, wouldn't you think that he'd at least have some kind of central identity concept for offense? That doesn't mean that he wouldn't entrust the logistics to a competent OC, who might have some variations on the theme--but doesn't it stand to reason that a head coach with an offensive background would at least have a strategic vision for what type of offense he wants to run?
I don't know if we have evidence that he does. I think a case can be made that his attitude is simply, "Offense, yeah, hey Joe, go and take care of that offense thing for us. No no, don't tell me, just do it."

With Marrone, we knew that he had an offensive idea, and he chose DC's based on how much he feared preparing for the schemes they would throw at his offense (he said so). I don't get the sense that Shafer has the same offensive bogeyman in his mind, or at least his hiring strategy is not to go find that bogeyman and hire him.

Yeah, you'd think he would. And yet we have no evidence to suggest that's the case.

Unless you consider #hardnosed to be a central identity concept.

:bang:

Yeah, you'd think he would. And yet we have no evidence to suggest that's the case.

None.

Ironic, given that his job is literally riding on whether or not he's able to improve the offense.

Cue the Benny Hill music if the philosophy is anything we showed in the Pitt/BC game.

I like Scott Shafer but this offense has one year to get us to a bowl or I think he will be wished well in his future endeavors as a DC somewhere else.

If we had a head coach with a competent offensive vision that conversation would have gone like...

SS: "Tim, I'm going to make a change. George just isn't implementing my offensive system the way I want. I'd like you to do it"

TL: "Absolutely, Scott. Your system is exciting and will lead to great things for this program, I'd be honored to implement it better for you."

TL: "Absolutely, Scott. I'm excited to get through the rest of this season and then implement my system for next year."

SS: "Great, Tim. If you need me I'll be in Bullough's office. Good luck. #hardnosed"
It might have even been like...

SS: "Tim, I'm going to make a change. I'd like you run whatever that is on the field when my defense isn't out there."

TL: "Absolutely, Scott. Hey, if it doesn't go so well, does that mean anything bad for me for the season after?"

SS: (No longer around to reply, as he left to see how punts look in the IPF)

TL: "I'm going to need to get more tight ends"

SS: "Whatever"

CommentPhotos.com_1405629647.jpg

Internet Poster #1: I have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV.

Internet Poster # 2: I also have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV.

SS: I have a lot of respect for Syracuse fans. They are hard nosed and I want to work my arse off for them.

Internet Poster # 2: I still have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV. But we should fire our coach.

this system excuse is just another in a long line for the apologist crowd -the total falure season long in the red zone said plenty about play calling over system

you either control the game as oc or it controls you( those guys have short careers )

this system excuse is just another in a long line for the apologist crowd -the total falure season long in the red zone said plenty about play calling over system

you either control the game as oc or it controls you( those guys have short careers )

You're right--it told us that those whining about the play calling being the problem were barking up the wrong tree and focusing on the wrong issue, as we had a different guy calling plays the second half of the season and the resutls were equally as bad if not worse.

You're right--it told us that those whining about the play calling being the problem were barking up the wrong tree and focusing on the wrong issue, as we had a different guy calling plays the second half of the season and the resutls were equally as bad if not worse.

I don't know - still have reports of McDonald freezing up in the box, unable make a the call down in the red zone. Then the change.

McDonald was still calling pretty bad games. Lester did too - but I don't know how to judge it.

Lots of people saying: injuries, system, freshman QB's don't matter. I'm not so sure that was most of it.

Luckily we'll find out.

TheCusian said:
Internet Poster #1: I have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV.

Internet Poster # 2: I also have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV.

SS: I have a lot of respect for Syracuse fans. They are hard nosed and I want to work my arse off for them.

Internet Poster # 2: I still have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV. But we should fire our coach.

I have also had a good time reading this thread. It's amazing how many people on here know exactly how everything works in Shafer 's program despite not knowing anything about how things actually work in Shafer's program.

One thing I can always count on is Millhouse's negativity. So sad to go through life without any positive perspective.

I don't know - still have reports of McDonald freezing up in the box, unable make a the call down in the red zone. Then the change.

McDonald was still calling pretty bad games. Lester did too - but I don't know how to judge it.

Lots of people saying: injuries, system, freshman QB's don't matter. I'm not so sure that was most of it.

Luckily we'll find out.

i watched a game that had a receiver playing qb when he started the game as a reciever - they moved the ball and scored -

i would think its almost imposable to be as bad as we were without really bad offensive coaching - on more than 1 occasion the team would have been better of if the kids just decided what play to run - i bet no super secret squirrel fake them out plays in the red zone happen

rosconey said:
i watched a game that had a receiver playing qb when he started the game as a reciever - they moved the ball and scored - i would think its almost imposable to be as bad as we were without really bad offensive coaching - on more than 1 occasion the team would have been better of if the kids just decided what play to run - i bet no super secret squirrel fake them out plays in the red zone happen

Hey - no one is saying the offense looked good. I'm just saying that Lester will get a chance to do exactly what he wants to do this offseason and season. Then we can judge fairly.

This is the only post of any relevance in the entire thread.

TheCusian said:
Internet Poster #1: I have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV. Internet Poster # 2: I also have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV. SS: I have a lot of respect for Syracuse fans. They are hard nosed and I want to work my arse off for them. Internet Poster # 2: I still have no idea of what's best because I just watch a lot of sports on TV. But we should fire our coach.

That's fine.

Let me ask... Do you think it's a good sign that we're changing our system a season and a half after we installed the last one?

TheCusian said:
Hey - no one is saying the offense looked good. I'm just saying that Lester will get a chance to do exactly what he wants to do this offseason and season. Then we can judge fairly.

Maybe. Or we'll have people telling us how we can't possibly judge their performance with just one year in the new system.

Scooch said:
That's fine. Let me ask... Do you think it's a good sign that we're changing our system a season and a half after we installed the last one?

I think that if Shafer thought things were not going to get better - that if he had lost faith in McDonald - he should have done exactly what he did.

Luckily we'll find out.
It's really hard to judge whether a game is called well. Obviously, having AAM run wide out of the end zone was a bad call. Calling a screen against an all out blitz can be a really good call. But mostly, the "goodness" of play calling depends on the execution. We had a great play-caller when Larry Csonka was in our backfield. Fifty one carries up the middle was a winner.
Here's a formula: Design an offense around the skills of your players; coach them to execute well and come up with the occasional "genius" play.

Scooch said:
Maybe. Or we'll have people telling us how we can't possibly judge their performance with just one year in the new system.

...regardless of whether the performance is good or bad. Let's face it, there will be people calling for heads no matter what. Heck, on the hoops board, people have been calling for Boeheim s head for years.

Scooch said:

Yeah - a bad scenario is 5-7 with an improved offense from bad to mediocre. I want to see noticeable improvement on the field and somewhere in the #40-60's nationally (realistically).

Something to say one way or another.