Class of 2014 - Curtis Samuel | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Curtis Samuel

imagine if we can break out these bad boys again

syracuseorangeuniforms_display_image.jpg
Who ever thought this was a good idea deserves to be water boarded in Onondaga Lake.:eek:

SU will never be sucessful unless its always in the running for its top NYS talent. The latest history shows yes SU gets NYS talent, but very few of the Empire States diamonds!! That has to change!! You can't always depend on outside talent!! Let alone NE talent!! To speak honestly SU years ago had NYS/NE talent and won. You mix that with outside talent should be a winning combination!!

SU will never be sucessful unless its always in the running for its top NYS talent. The latest history shows yes SU gets NYS talent, but very few of the Empire States diamonds!! That has to change!! You can't always depend on outside talent!! Let alone NE talent!! To speak honestly SU years ago had NYS/NE talent and won. You mix that with outside talent should be a winning combination!!
How did Alabama win two straight national titles with outside talent???

Doesn't matter where they come from as long as they can play.

^^^ This ... which is why I never understood the Jersey obsession by many on this board ... there is a lot better talent elsewhere.

Actually there are 36 players from Alabama on their 101 player roster, so they do win with mostly local talent. That is not considering their immediate surrounding states Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida and Louisiana which would be considered their "local" area from which they have 39 players. So 75 players of 101 are relatively local.

While I agree with you that it doesn't matter where they come from as long as they can play. It would be nice to get some local players from NY, NJ, PA. Problem is Bama's recruiting grounds are ridiculously more talented that SU's and that is where the issue lies. We have no choice but to go outside our traditional recruiting grounds at least initially to get wins, then the local talent will follow suit.

Actually there are 36 players from Alabama on their 101 player roster, so they do win with mostly local talent. That is not considering their immediate surrounding states Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida and Louisiana which would be considered their "local" area from which they have 39 players. So 75 players of 101 are relatively local.

While I agree with you that it doesn't matter where they come from as long as they can play. It would be nice to get some local players from NY, NJ, PA. Problem is Bama's recruiting grounds are ridiculously more talented that SU's and that is where the issue lies. We have no choice but to go outside our traditional recruiting grounds at least initially to get wins, then the local talent will follow suit.

Ok and how many of those 36 are starters or big names? Having 20 walk-ons from Alabama doesn't mean they win with mostly local talent and they get a lot of in-state walkons and greyshirts, they do have some big players from the state of AL but they go out and get a lot of top notch talent like Kouandjio and Richardson from out of state.

You'd probably know as well as anyone, but do you think HCSS is stressing the "6-hour radius" as strongly as Marrone was?

Ok and how many of those 36 are starters or big names? Having 20 walk-ons from Alabama doesn't mean they win with mostly local talent and they get a lot of in-state walkons and greyshirts, they do have some big players from the state of AL but they go out and get a lot of top notch talent like Kouandjio and Richardson from out of state.

You are kidding I hope right? Please tell me you are...

OK, yer not. Currently 4 of the 7 players committed to Bama for 2014 are 4 star recruits all from Alabama, 2 from GA. ALL are 4 star according to Sc0ut.

7 players committed last year from Alabama for the 2013 class. Only 1 3star, 5 4stars and 1 5star.

7 players again from the 2012 class from Alabama. 2 3star, 4 4stars and 1 5 star.

5 players from the 2011 class from Alabama. 2 3star and 3 4star.

11 players from the 2010 class from Alabama. 1 NR, 3 3star, 6 4star and 1 5star.

So based on this I am seeing that there are at least 30 of the 36 are pretty highly rated kids. SO I will concede that maybe 6 are walk ons. I would also bet that their walk-ons aren't scrubs either, well maybe for Bama they are scrubs.

This wasn't about in state, it was about "local" talent. Alabama's local area has GA, MS, LA, FL and TN as part of it. Just like we look at local recruiting area as NY, PA, NJ and maybe MA and CT.

Now they not only have to be highly rated but they have to be big names and start to count? This was about recruiting, not about finished product from what I recall about the conversation.

Why are we comparing ourselves to Alabama again?

bnoro asked how Alabama won national championships with outside talent and I simply stated that they won it with mostly Alabama and their local recruiting area talent. Which I showed above that the majority of their recruits are from AL and GA for the most part.

I count 21 New Yorkers on the Syracuse roster. Not bad considering how void the state is of talent.

I'm personally glad HCSS recruits out of NYS. If your a new coach and you try to force recruiting in an area that is not a pipeline for you then you may miss out with talent you do have a connection to. I believe that he is recruiting where he and the staff are comfortable right now and it makes sense when trying to off to a good start. I think that in state talent will be addressed but there is no reason to tackle everything at once. Winning games will obviously help with recruiting.

As far as what is important in recruiting is subjective to the player. I think most everything matters in some form but it isn't going to be the same for each kid. I believe if two schools recruiting the same kid gave him the same playing opportunity, big time game match ups, campus life but one had the Oregon uni approach then I think the team with more uni's win but I feel like that's it. Icing on the cake.

I'm looking forward to this football season more than I have in a number of years. I love the different view points here which makes most people want to come back on here. At the end of the day we all want the same thing. Go Cuse

I count 21 New Yorkers on the Syracuse roster. Not bad considering how void the state is of talent.
I think New York and the northeast in general besides a few perennial powers who always produce a couloir D1 guys a year are for the most part overlooked . There is plenty of talent in the northeast that goes unnoticed . Sometimes it takes longer to develop, but there is talent . The Syracuse teams from the late 80's and 90's were basically all northeast with a few Florida speed kids. Just look at our current roster almost all of those 21 current players are productive or will be productive and how sought after were they? For the amount of bcs schools in the area to players we are equal with anyone else. Sure the southeast is loaded with talent but you are also competing with the whole sec and half of the acc . Sure Texas is loaded but there are a couple handful of big time bcs schools in Texas alone, same goes for California. Who is in the northeast? Syracuse, BC, Rutgers, Penn st, Pitt.

I don't know where we stand with him, but the kid posted a 4.36 yesterday. That's crazy speed for a high school junior with his size.

I don't know where we stand with him, but the kid posted a 4.36 today. That's crazy speed for a high school junior with his size.
we haven't been in this for a second.

we haven't been in this for a second.

Agreed, people would be better served to move on, its not going to happen. We dont have the cache at this point to get a recruit like this, we might in a few years but right now its not happening.

Sources: Meyer alleged UF violation

Urban Meyer's will to win burns with such competitive fire that he won't allow anyone to stand in his way on the recruiting trail.

Including, evidently, his former school and a former assistant coach.

Outkick the Coverage has learned from sources in New York that Meyer and Ohio State turned in Florida assistant coach Brian White for an alleged improper "bump" violation related to the recruitment of Curtis Samuel, a running back/defensive back from Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Investigations into Ohio State's complaint this spring uncovered no wrongdoing, the sources said, but Samuel subsequently revealed Florida no longer is in his top five schools — while OSU is.

Urban Meyer's will to win burns with such competitive fire that he won't allow anyone to stand in his way on the recruiting trail.

Outkick the Coverage has learned from sources in New York that Meyer and Ohio State turned in Florida assistant coach Brian White for an alleged improper "bump" violation related to the recruitment of Curtis Samuel, a running back/defensive back from Erasmus Hall High School in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Investigations into Ohio State's complaint this spring uncovered no wrongdoing, the sources said, but Samuel subsequently revealed Florida no longer is in his top five schools — while OSU is.

I read that today to. Absolutely nutz

There is no shadier coach than Urban Meyer. Was really hoping he never coached again when he stepped down at UF.

I don't know where we stand with him, but the kid posted a 4.36 yesterday. That's crazy speed for a high school junior with his size.
The kind of speed that makes an impact on most teams especially ifg they have other football favorable abilities e.g.change of direction,vision and quick decision making ability as a result of that vision or reaction ability as I prefer.Remember Dorian Graham has elite speed but it took almost his whole four years to show it off in a KR for a TD. In the other three years he had a great time running into the coverage.and disappointing the fans.

Unnofficial scheduled for buttgers on Thursday. Hard to believe he'd go there but it's a bit frustrating that we can't get him a little interested in us when they can. Wayne Morgan is doing just fine here.

A flashy speed kid I see him in the ACC or sec, not the b1g. not osu. Buttgers? Really?