Cuse's record in the Sweet Sixteen and beyond. | Syracusefan.com

Cuse's record in the Sweet Sixteen and beyond.

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
Since the expanded brackets came out, Syracuse has been to the Sweet Sixteen thirteen times. In those games where our opponents have almost a week to prepare, Syracuse has a record of 6-7. However in the six years in which Syracuse advanced to the Elite Eight, our record is 4-2 in those games. That says a lot about the talent and the coaching and the difficulty in the opponent's ability to turn around and prepare for us in a short period.

All records aren't created equally like the poster above mentioned. I'm assuming we've played better seeds than we were which obviously make the games more difficult giving us a worse record.

Of course if we do win, we won't get that quick turnaround bonus since a conference foe awaits (assume UVa wins). I don't care though, this is a house money weekend. So great for our future that this excellent freshman class is getting second weekend NCAA tourney experience. The dividends from this could be big time.

I think what is lost is, that of our 7 losses, majority of the time they are to 1 or 2 seeds ... its not like we were the favorites in many of them
Good point. Cueing SWC: Can we get a printout of all our games in the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight. Who we beat and who we lost to and what seeds they were?:)

Good point. Cueing SWC: Can we get a printout of all our games in the Sweet Sixteen and Elite Eight. Who we beat and who we lost to and what seeds they were?:)

I'm not him, but ill take a crack.

2013: we were a four. We played 1 IU and 3 Marquette. Both wins.

2012: we were a one. We played 4 Wisconsin and then lost to 2 Ohio State.

2010: one seed, lost to 5 Butler

2009: 3 seed, lost to 2 Oklahoma

2004: 5 seed, lost to 8 Alabama

2003 3 seed, beat 10 Auburn and 1 Oklahoma

2000 4 seed lost to 1 Michigan State

1998 5 seed lost to 1 Duke

1996 4 seed beat 8 Georgia and 2 Kansas

1994 4 seed lost to 1 Missouri

1990 2 seed lost to 6 Minnesota

1989 2 seed beat 3 Missouri and lost to 1 Illinois

1987 2 seed beat 6 Florida and 1 UNC.

Awesome Doc: Here is the summary.

Sweet Sixteen:
6 wins: 1 vs a better seed, 5 vs a worse seed
7 losses: 4 vs a better seed (3 were one seeds and one a two seed), 3 vs a worse seed

Elite Eight:
4 wins: 3 vs a better seed (very impressive) , 1 vs a worse seed
2 losses: 1 vs a better seed (a one seed) , 1 vs a worse seed (we were a 1 and lost to a 2-Ohio State-but don't get me started on that game).

Awesome Doc: Here is the summary.

Sweet Sixteen:
6 wins: 1 vs a better seed, 5 vs a worse seed
7 losses: 4 vs a better seed (3 were one seeds and one a two seed), 3 vs a worse seed

Elite Eight:
4 wins: 3 vs a better seed (very impressive) , 1 vs a worse seed
2 losses: 1 vs a better seed (a one seed) , 1 vs a worse seed (we were a 1 and lost to a 2-Ohio State-but don't get me started on that game).
And the record in national semi-final and championship games is not too shabby either. Pretty good for an underachieving coach.

This is why I am hoping Iowa State can beat Virginia. I really like the UVA program and Tony Bennett the short turnaround wouldn't be an issue. While it would for Iowa State.

It sucks we are in UVA's region I like their program but if we want to advance.

Of our 13 losses
3 to Pitt our nemesis
2 to UNC 1 seed still alive
1 to UVA 1 seed still alive
1 to Miami 3 seed still alive
1 to Wisconsin 7 seed still alive

1 to Louisville a would be sweet 16 team
1 to Florida State/Clemson/St. John's/Georgetown non tournament teams.

We can win this region if we play well against Gonzaga and get lucky in the Elite Eight.

I don't see how we lose to Butler with Arinze. Just putting it out there. And shtty officiating aside, once we lost Fab you may have well switched the numbers between us and Ohio State.
we definitely beat butler if we had arinze. i remember that butler had a big white guy that flopped alot. arinze had a way with dealing with floppers. he basically used one foul early in games to drop the people's elbow on a flopper, and those dudes would just stay away after that. for a non-shot blocker, he was a great zone defender too.

1988, 1990, 1991 must be why JB developed a poor rep in the early days. Such wasted opportunities.

1988, 1990, 1991 must be why JB developed a poor rep in the early days. Such wasted opportunities.

No matter how well things are going, you just have to find a way to take a shot, don't you?

This guy is, without question, the reincarnation of Blue Curtain.

we definitely beat butler if we had arinze. i remember that butler had a big white guy that flopped alot. arinze had a way with dealing with floppers. he basically used one foul early in games to drop the people's elbow on a flopper, and those dudes would just stay away after that. for a non-shot blocker, he was a great zone defender too.
Boeheim would have two national titles if Onuaku doesn't get hurt in the BET. It's a scientific fact.

No matter how well things are going, you just have to find a way to take a shot, don't you?

funny you mention that. I've suspected for awhile now that FP is, in fact, BC. How 'bout it FP? We can handle the truth.

1988 is up there for me too. It's hard to stomach that a team with Douglas, Coleman, and Seikaly lost to Rhode Island. I wanted to strangle the blind father the camera kept showing.

Sherm was really sick that day...

Instead of being uber-sensitive and presuming that I'm "taking a shot", you could have followed up with observations that actually stayed on topic like a couple others did. If everyone refrained from attacking other posters because they don't "like" their anonymous personas, it would save so much bandwidth. The OP was a historical review - and March Madness is the perfect time to reminisce on previous SU tournament success or lack thereof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom