Cutting the cord – Hulu Question | Syracusefan.com

Cutting the cord – Hulu Question

PhatOrange

Living Legend
Just got a Time Warner notice that my bill is going up again. Not only going up but looks like it could be around 20%, approaching $200 a month for just cable and internet; no phone. That’s absurd.

I currently have Netflix and have been getting a taste of Amazon Prime on a borrowed account.

Netflix - $7.99 month - $95.88 /yr
Amazon - $8.25 month – $99 / yr

I’m going to get a Roku stick and am considering Hulu

So my question is if Hulu is a good way to go for current shows?

Wife watches 2 shows; Survivor and Walking Dead. I’m a Discovery Channel guy, but could live without much else.

Hulu – is also $7.99 month - $95.88 /yr

I’m thinking the $25 a month for all 3 should cover everything we might watch. Even with TW’s sh1tty premium internet service total cost will be under $100. Seems like a no brainer.

Hulu is probably your best bet for current TV, yeah. You might also look into Sling TV. $20/month and you'll get stuff like AMC and ESPN. Doesn't look like CBS/ABC/Fox/NBC are included but that's where Hulu comes in. I also don't see Discovery but here's what comes with it and what extras cost:

https://www.sling.com/package

Hulu doesn't carry the current season of The Walking Dead. We are currently using Sling to do that.

Just got a Time Warner notice that my bill is going up again. Not only going up but looks like it could be around 20%, approaching $200 a month for just cable and internet; no phone. That’s absurd.

I currently have Netflix and have been getting a taste of Amazon Prime on a borrowed account.

Netflix - $7.99 month - $95.88 /yr
Amazon - $8.25 month – $99 / yr

I’m going to get a Roku stick and am considering Hulu

So my question is if Hulu is a good way to go for current shows?

Wife watches 2 shows; Survivor and Walking Dead. I’m a Discovery Channel guy, but could live without much else.

Hulu – is also $7.99 month - $95.88 /yr

I’m thinking the $25 a month for all 3 should cover everything we might watch. Even with TW’s sh1tty premium internet service total cost will be under $100. Seems like a no brainer.
what will your internet cost be by itself?

why not just call TW and complain and get the cost lowered?

I have all 3 plus directv. cant imagine cutting back to just hulu/amazon/netflix.. too many good shows

what will your internet cost be by itself?

why not just call TW and complain and get the cost lowered?

I have all 3 plus directv. cant imagine cutting back to just hulu/amazon/netflix.. too many good shows

I still have to call, but I complained about it last year (when my bill hit $210) and they basically shrugged their shoulders so I cancelled the phone. They didnt care.

I don't even have DVR. I pay for basic digital cable, basic (cheap) internet and 2 HD boxes. $165

Cost of their premium internet I believe is $60

I'm feeling like we just dont watch enough TV to justify it and yet I pay the bill every month like it's National Grid. Kids pretty much watch Netflix exclusively and I can get 95% of my sports on ESPN WatchApp. Survivor, Walking Dead, Gold Rush, Ink Masters. Other than Survivor we don't watch any Network TV. I'll surf late at night and watch HGTV, DIY, NGC etc but thats about it.

Last edited:
I still have to call, but I complained about it last year (when my bill hit $210) and they basically shrugged their shoulders so I cancelled the phone. They didnt care.

I don't even have DVR. I pay for basic digital cable, basic (cheap) internet and 2 HD boxes. $165

You're getting hosed.

Well, premium internet with Hulu, Netflix, Prime, and the basic Sling TV package would be about $110 then? I mean, that would basically cover you, sounds like.

Well, premium internet with Hulu, Netflix, Prime, and the basic Sling TV package would be about $110 then? I mean, that would basically cover you, sounds like.

That's what I'm thinking.

I dropped Time Warner 2 years ago for the same reason. My bill was going from $140 to $200 for digital with DVR, phone and basic internet. Right now I have starter cable for NBC, CBS, ABC and Fox but you could get yourself a HD antennae for that unless you live in the sticks. I just canceled my phone service a few months ago because again they were jumping my bill from $80 to $115.

Went with Phone Power for my phone (I work at home so need it). You sign a one year contract and it ends up around $9 a month.
Have internet and starter cable for a total of $53 a month.
Netflix for $8.99. I tried Prime for a while until they got rid of West Wing and Friday Night Lights when I was in about the 4th season of both. Prime is good if you plan to buy a lot of things online.

Hulu is probably your best bet for current TV, yeah. You might also look into Sling TV. $20/month and you'll get stuff like AMC and ESPN. Doesn't look like CBS/ABC/Fox/NBC are included but that's where Hulu comes in. I also don't see Discovery but here's what comes with it and what extras cost:

https://www.sling.com/package

Is Sling real-time, or is it on demand? From the website info it looks like it's real time only.

We have Apple everything! I came close to buying Apple TV this Xmas season. I think it has Hulu , so that would satisfy my wife's need for NBC CBS FOX ABC shows , correct? I need the ESPN family, but don't you need a local provider to sign in? We also watch TLC, Discovery, A&E. I already pay for Netflix and Amazon. Can I get what I need with Apple TV?

I'm feeling like we just dont watch enough TV to justify it and yet I pay the bill every month like it's National Grid. Kids pretty much watch Netflix exclusively and I can get 95% of my sports on ESPN WatchApp. Survivor, Walking Dead, Gold Rush, Ink Masters. Other than Survivor we don't watch any Network TV. I'll surf late at night and watch HGTV, DIY, NGC etc but thats about it.

That reaction is really strange. I've called them twice and threatened to cancel when my bills went up. Each time they have put me in a program where I commit to 12 months but it gives a discount. This last time. it cut me down from $192 to $152 each month.

That reaction is really strange. I've called them twice and threatened to cancel when my bills went up. Each time they have put me in a program where I commit to 12 months but it gives a discount. This last time. it cut me down from $192 to $152 each month.

true story. and i'm not a hot head on the phone. i'll let you know how this year's call goes -:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom