Dad, why do we like Syracuse? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dad, why do we like Syracuse?

qdawgg said:
At least the Titanic eventually stopped sinking...

I mean I left that curveball hanging and it took a long time for someone to hit it.

So asks my 10-year old.

In astonishment, I rattle off the teams we used to beat:

LSU
Georgia
Arizona
Ohio State
Miami
Auburn
Penn State
Clemson
Michigan

Of course, none of these in his lifetime.

#disgusted

You forgot 1990s wins over:

Florida
Wisconsin
Texas
Va Tech
West Virginia
Boston College
Pitt
Colorado
North Carolina
Minnesota

People I work with have season tickets (a big block of great seats) and for most games they can't give them away. Most weeks they end up in the trash. They only have season tickets because they are "well to do" and money isn't an issue in their lives. They will go to the 1 big game a year vs LSU and what not. The other games they just give away to family, friends, co-workers. And for most games (not all, but almost all) nobody will take the free tickets and they just end up in the garbage can. And it's a big office I work in, not just a few people. Nobody wants Free football tickets.

Now for SU basketball tickets, I have seen grown men and women almost come to blows fighting over who gets what for what game.

I'm in my mid twenties and I am a fan of Syracuse football, maybe not as much as basketball but I will go to one game a year. I know they were a good program once upon a time and I really hope they can get back to that so I can experience it. Btw, I'll take free football tickets anyday!

My son is 8 and at the end of the Virginia game I look over at him and he has his head in the pillow. I asked him what was wrong. He looks up and yells out while crying, "They're going to lose".
I haven't invested as much time in watching since then. DVR most games now. How have we fallen so low. I remember the anger I had when Gerg destroyed the program. Not quite as mad as then but pretty disappointed.

My Saturdays with my boys (12 and 8) are built around Syracuse football. Outside of sports commitments we don't miss a home game or away television game. Had a nice pizza and wing party with some friends and family today. The game sucked of course and no need to cover that here. Not my point.

To me, the time I spend with family and friends is the payoff for me and my boys. The games are a family activity for us and we always try and have fun even when we suck.

I hate the losses and I've been a fan since the Dome opened so the good times certainly are much sweeter. However, I have alot of good memories from childhood to present surrounding family, friends and Syracuse football. As I'm local, season tickets are not a question. My boys love going to the Dome win or lose.

I will continue on with the team because they are my team and that won't change no matter what happens on the field. I'm a Mets fan, Knicks fan and a Bills fan so I know misery in many sports arenas over my 35 year fandom. I have also lived through some great seasons and remember them well.

My kids are SU fans because they were born into it and like the time we have together. When they ask me why we root for them (or any other team I root for) I give them a little talk about loyalty and how you stick with your team in good times and bad. You don't stop supporting them just because they are down or don't win the championship. In those times, the team may need your support even more. You just keep rooting and they will do something amazing sometime. You don't ever jump ship. That's the essence of what makes you a fan.

I get some of the vitriol about what's going on between the sidelines but personally I can't ever actually imagine questioning whether I'm going to continue to support the program.

My oldest sons birthday is SU-Clemson. He wants to go to the game to see the #1 team and hoping for the best birthday present ever.

Edit: Thinking about it, I probably have just brainwashed my kids and i tell them if you like a front runner we always have hoops right around the corner.

Last edited:
My seven yr old wrote down his favorite players in football today. He likes the Seahawks ...uggh... And he wrote down Wilson Sherman and Lynch. But to my surprise he also wrote down dungey, esteem (his spelling) and Zach Mahoney. I kept updating today's score and the kid is still all orange. God bless him.

My seven yr old wrote down his favorite players in football today. He likes the Seahawks ...uggh... And he wrote down Wilson Sherman and Lynch. But to my surprise he also wrote down dungey, esteem (his spelling) and Zach Mahoney. I kept updating today's score and the kid is still all orange. God bless him.
Funny my seven year old is also a seahawks fan... must be something they are teaching in ELA or common core math... Go Bills

I hear ya. There is a "Lost Generation" of SU football fans. SU football has been down for so long that an entire generation of young adults now have zero interest in the program. And one 9 or 10 win season won't change that either unfortunately. It's going to take years of winning consistently to get that generation into SU football. The "die hards" for SU Football for the most part are 40-45 years of age or older and that isn't a good sign for the future. Once they give up on the program and stop going, there is no young generation to take their place in the Dome.

I don't know, in 87 after years of bad football I remember once they beat penn st to go 5-0 or 6-0, This town was on fire. Yes 11-0 is way different than 9-3, 10-2 but I think one bad a$$ year would be huge for the fanbase.

I've had a season ticket for my son since he was three. I take several of my kids to each game. Bringing them all to the BC game because that is their free Cuse Kids Club game. Please don't wait till we are good to involve your kids. Sure it is more fun to win and I get upset as well with losing, but being with my kids is a win regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom