Class of 2015 - Damage Control | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Damage Control

AAM62

All Conference
Eric White and some of the other coaches must be doing some serious damage control. Would love to be a fly in the room for those discussions. It actually came up huge that we did some serious work for 2015 prior to the season but im sure other coaches may see an opportunity with the coaching turmoil.

I just don't see this as turmoil per se. We replaced a recruiter with the title of OC with an actual OC (WITH EXPERIENCE) who is also the recruiting coordinator.

The recruits that keep tweeting the orange emoji and seeing AJ back out on twitter interacting with the recruits has me believing Eric and the staff are doing what you are indicating. I suppose a silver lining of having 25 recruits commis in house prior to August. Can shed a few without being a disaster.

Our recruits are great and fit the culture at SU and of our HC.

edit - I also think Shafer will have a better working relationship with Lester than McDonald, which hopefully nets better results.

any damage control would be with levine, spence, robinson and edouard. edouard is the only recruit that would hurt. (simply b/c good QBs are hard to find). the other 3 might be good but replaceable. and none even play O.

nobody is going to transfer as a result.

the Sta kids would be guided/helped by Casullo; I don't believe McD is the influencing factor on these two.

any damage control would be with levine, spence, robinson and edouard. edouard is the only recruit that would hurt. (simply b/c good QBs are hard to find). the other 3 might be good but replaceable. and none even play O.

the Sta kids would be guided/helped by Casullo; I don't believe McD is the influencing factor on these two.
and we got a good jump on 2016 to where it wouldnt be catastrophic.

Levine and Robinson would hurt, they're going to be two of our best recruits in 2015. I don't think Edouard goes anywhere this late in the game either. Levine and Spence still haven't visited campus, that's why I'm more concerned about both of them than anyone else.

Levine and Robinson would hurt, they're going to be two of our best recruits in 2015. I don't think Edouard goes anywhere this late in the game either. Levine and Spence still haven't visited campus, that's why I'm more concerned about both of them than anyone else.

Hurt but not catastrophic, I would think though. Is that off base? Are you hearing that the staff may be reaching out?

Yeah, high upside defenders like that... not the guys we want to lose.

If a a recruit is going to flip soley based on McD they should take this into consideration:

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
2000 - Ball State
2001-2003 - Northern Illinois
2004 - Stanford
2005-2006 - Western Michigan
2007-2008 - Minnesota
2009-2010 - Cleveland Browns
2011-2012 - Miami
2013 - Arknsas (for 5 minutes)
2013-2014 - SU

Robinson is shooting for January I thought also. Unless he pulls a cooper hard to believe he could follow gm

i like both players, as I do spence but we really have no idea if they'll hurt or not. they could be oliver vigille and jaston george. no idea.

McD is actually in a bad place, big name schools are going to look at him, with his track record, and figure they don't need the headache. For his sake he needs to stay here for awhile, and straighten things out for himself.

McD is actually in a bad place, big name schools are going to look at him, with his track record, and figure they don't need the headache. For his sake he needs to stay here for awhile, and straighten things out for himself.
Very good point. Im sure he has a good network and his recruiting track record speaks for itself but the schools that can pay him more can likely recruit with the best of them.

We are in pretty good shape with the STA kids no matter what happens they have visited multiple times and loved it. Robinson I am not as worried about but he could decommit but I think it's way less likely then say if Levine decommits. As for Spence he kind of keeps quiet for the most part, almost like Slayton last year. However him and Levine aren't big time recruits only a handful of schools wanted them. Luckily for us nothing on defense has changed and our defense is performing very well which only helps our case with them.

I expect this to have minimal impact on this or any other recruiting class. Even if McDonald does leave at year end (which I'm not convinced will happen - the guy is emotional and he just reacted the way he's wired to react to news like this, delivered the way it was). Life goes on and so will the program.

I expect this to have minimal impact on this or any other recruiting class. Even if McDonald does leave at year end (which I'm not convinced will happen - the guy is emotional and he just reacted the way he's wired to react to news like this, delivered the way it was). Life goes on and so will the program.

Respect your opinion, but I don't see any possible way McDonald stays. First we aren't going to pay a WR coach OC money. Second McDonald feels like Shafer screwed him. He will get offered more money by some school to go recruit for them.

We have to be in full out damage control right now. A few more lopsided losses and the wheels will be coming off. A few kids already had to be talked off the ledge.

Respect your opinion, but I don't see any possible way McDonald stays. First we aren't going to pay a WR coach OC money. Second McDonald feels like Shafer screwed him. He will get offered more money by some school to go recruit for them.

We have to be in full out damage control right now. A few more lopsided losses and the wheels will be coming off. A few kids already had to be talked off the ledge.

What do you mean 'talked off the ledge'?

If we lose the Wake game, then it's time to go into damage control. We weren't winning this weekend with McD, Lester, Ronald McDonald, Boy George or George Jefferson calling the plays. The only chance was if FSU's bus ran off a cliff while simultaneously getting hit by a missile.

This thing will blow over, emotions are running high right now. I still think that the program will be in better shape with Lester calling plays. As for money, Lester isn't going to get some massive windfall. So there will be money to go around if Shafer wants to pursue keeping McD on as WR Coach and recruiting coordinator - if McD is open to that.

The coaches have been in contact with all the kids. Plus I was told that the kids had a group chat and everyone is still firm in their commitment.

So was Jason Cabinda. Hell Zach Allen was leading the group chat...all until they aren't.

You are right though everyone has been reeled back in for now.

So was Jason Cabinda. Hell Zach Allen was leading the group chat...all until they aren't.

You are right though everyone has been reeled back in for now.

Sure. Anyone of these kids can flip at any time. It doesn't have to be about a coaching change or a losing season. That's what recruiting is. Everything is stable at a lot of programs and kids are still decommitting. The fight to keep these commits will be ongoing and active until they all sign their LOIs. The staff is just going to have to keep selling the program.

I'm sure their will be some flips which is the nature of the business. I gave McD 3 years just based on his past being constantly on the move. What if the team was undefeated or finished with 8 or 9 wins while he was the OC? He would be in line for a HC job or recruited by another school with recent football success. A couple ways to look at this, but IMO he was gone in 3 years. The key is finishing strong or competing in the games and the current staff staying mostly intact.

Sure. Anyone of these kids can flip at any time. It doesn't have to be about a coaching change or a losing season. That's what recruiting is. Everything is stable at a lot of programs and kids are still decommitting. The fight to keep these commits will be ongoing and active until they all sign their LOIs. The staff is just going to have to keep selling the program.

Agreed CL. They have to keep selling the program and stay in constant contact. So much of recruiting is about relationships and trust. This is probably especially true for the south Fla kids that GM has been actively recruiting. There will be lots of work to be done on that front as GM will likely not be here in January. The trust and relationship factor is going to take a hit. White will be the key player here, IMO.

Agreed CL. They have to keep selling the program and stay in constant contact. So much of recruiting is about relationships and trust. This is probably especially true for the south Fla kids that GM has been actively recruiting. There will be lots of work to be done on that front as GM will likely not be here in January. The trust and relationship factor is going to take a hit. White will be the key player here, IMO.

Agree. I think it is imperative that they retain White. I'm not sure that McDonald has been a large factor in recruiting this year except in the matter of bringing in Acosta.

You guys will make yourselves nuts with this stuff, trying to predict how 17 year old kids will react to certain things. Most times it wont be rationale, is what it is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom