Class of 2015 - Damage Control | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Damage Control

Agree. I think it is imperative that they retain White. I'm not sure that McDonald has been a large factor in recruiting this year except in the matter of bringing in Acosta.

Remember who brought White here.....

Agree. I think it is imperative that they retain White. I'm not sure that McDonald has been a large factor in recruiting this year except in the matter of bringing in Acosta.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think White is a must-keep. I think White filled a void that existed at Syracuse in regards to a recruiting assistant and now that is a position that can be filled if he moves on.

While I hope White stays, I would much rather open up the pocketbook for keeping on-field assistants or getting a little more money to sweeten the pot for a new assistant.

Respect your opinion, but I don't see any possible way McDonald stays. First we aren't going to pay a WR coach OC money. Second McDonald feels like Shafer screwed him. He will get offered more money by some school to go recruit for them.

We have to be in full out damage control right now. A few more lopsided losses and the wheels will be coming off. A few kids already had to be talked off the ledge.
I think you have it right. We are going to take a hit in Florida but if we start winning with the new kids that will get us back on track. This is where AJ's brashness may actually help.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I don't think White is a must-keep. I think White filled a void that existed at Syracuse in regards to a recruiting assistant and now that is a position that can be filled if he moves on.

While I hope White stays, I would much rather open up the pocketbook for keeping on-field assistants or getting a little more money to sweeten the pot for a new assistant.
White's a HUGE reason why we're in it with Robert Washington and numerous other guys. Don't want to lose him.

White's a HUGE reason why we're in it with Robert Washington and numerous other guys. Don't want to lose him.

White is good. That job shouldn't be a job where purse strings are opened though.

There are many Eric White's out there with the personality and social media understanding. There are fewer good on field coaches.

White is a huge deal with the recruits. There have been many texts where they have referred to him as coach. It appears to me that he establishing some great relationships that would be hurt if he left. I agree with Bnoro on this.

White is good. That job shouldn't be a job where purse strings are opened though.

There are many Eric White's out there with the personality and social media understanding. There are fewer good on field coaches.

I'd be willing to bet that either you are wrong about the # of Eric whites out there or that within two years it starts to become a position where the purse strings do open up.

In the football business if you are really good at what you do, you will start to make money. If you are no better at what you do than anyone else, no one is going to care about you in the recruiting game, and with our 2016 recruits, that is clearly not the case.

I'd be willing to bet that either you are wrong about the # of Eric whites out there or that within two years it starts to become a position where the purse strings do open up.

In the football business if you are really good at what you do, you will start to make money. If you are no better at what you do than anyone else, no one is going to care about you in the recruiting game, and with our 2016 recruits, that is clearly not the case.

Considering that Syracuse's assistant pay is near the bottom of the ACC, I hope they get paid before the administrators.

I have no idea what your bottom paragraph is even talking about. Do you understand what White's job is? It is to supplement the recruiting efforts of the staff. Provide them with information (via video or other contacts), coordinate official visits, handle all social media (including this NCAA Football push and other things we have seen). White is good. No one has committed to Syracuse because of White. It is a job that is an entry-level esque position. People do these jobs to move into an on field coaching position. No reason to put more money in the position. If you like the person, hire him as an assistant where he has even more access to recruits.

People, IMO, tend to overvalue White's impact on recruiting b/c there isn't anyone prior to compare him to.

Considering that Syracuse's assistant pay is near the bottom of the ACC, I hope they get paid before the administrators.

I have no idea what your bottom paragraph is even talking about. Do you understand what White's job is? It is to supplement the recruiting efforts of the staff. Provide them with information (via video or other contacts), coordinate official visits, handle all social media (including this NCAA Football push and other things we have seen). White is good. No one has committed to Syracuse because of White. It is a job that is an entry-level esque position. People do these jobs to move into an on field coaching position. No reason to put more money in the position. If you like the person, hire him as an assistant where he has even more access to recruits.

People, IMO, tend to overvalue White's impact on recruiting b/c there isn't anyone prior to compare him to.
That's not true at all. It's not easy to be able to connect with some of these kids in the way that he does. He communicates through social media with the kids and for a rural guy from Kansas to build a strong relationship with kids from completely different parts of the country to the point where they can't wait to see him when they visit is massively important. His personality plays a huge role in this.

He does a lot of the tours with the kids as well, so it's very important to have someone that can do what he does as well as he does it. He's the salesman that gets in there and evaluates leads before passing them off for the coaches to close.

My point is, if you are an asset, then your salary will rise over time as their is demand for you elsewhere in the country. If he's as good as Cuse fans think he is, then other schools will look to emulate us by either hiring him or a guy like him to fill the same role on their staff. As a result, the natural salary for his position will increase. I'm not suggesting that next offseason Alabama is going to create a position identical to Whites and pay their kid $1 million dollar a year, but I'd bet if Alabama has a guy just like White, he's making more than White is at Syracuse. But that's just the way it goes.

bnoro said:

Agree. White is very good at his job and has positioned us well with some important guys. Id like to keep him as long as possible. Plus it's not like he is making a ton of money.

That's not true at all. It's not easy to be able to connect with some of these kids in the way that he does. He communicates through social media with the kids and for a rural guy from Kansas to build a strong relationship with kids from completely different parts of the country to the point where they can't wait to see him when they visit is massively important. His personality plays a huge role in this.

He does a lot of the tours with the kids as well, so it's very important to have someone that can do what he does as well as he does it. He's the salesman that gets in there and evaluates leads before passing them off for the coaches to close.

So this is a position that should be a 50-75 K position?

What wasn't true about what I said? Everything you said is what I said the role entails. I said he has a good personality and he is good at his job. However, he doesn't evaluate leads. He passes the leads onto the coaches (after a quick vet through his contacts) so they can decide yay or nay before moving forward under the plan White helps put together.

If you want to keep him, you need to promote him. Its not a position that should garner significant raises b/c of its overall fit in the program and the type of person you are looking to bring in for it (young, energetic, "hip").

My point is, if you are an asset, then your salary will rise over time as their is demand for you elsewhere in the country. If he's as good as Cuse fans think he is, then other schools will look to emulate us by either hiring him or a guy like him to fill the same role on their staff. As a result, the natural salary for his position will increase. I'm not suggesting that next offseason Alabama is going to create a position identical to Whites and pay their kid $1 million dollar a year, but I'd bet if Alabama has a guy just like White, he's making more than White is at Syracuse. But that's just the way it goes.

Syracuse was way behind. Many schools have an Eric White type position. And they treat it like an entry level position b/c there will always be someone willing to work for 25K to do the grunt work and get their foot in the door. And if that guy is good, you promote him to the coaching staff or find something along the lines of what he wants to do.

Trust me, I know what I am talking about. I work in sports. I work with young athletes. I work in a job where my job is to scour the United States looking for talented players. I know where these important ground level jobs fit in the overall scheme and how they are viewed..

Eric White is a must keep. Plus, I'm quite confident giving him a bump would be much cheaper than an assistant coach. Recruiting is more than half the battle in the P5 and you don't willingly let your greatest asset walk (yes, I think he's more important than McDonald for recruiting).

Eric White is a must keep. Plus, I'm quite confident giving him a bump would be much cheaper than an assistant coach. Recruiting is more than half the battle in the P5 and you don't willingly let your greatest asset walk (yes, I think he's more important than McDonald for recruiting).
While EW is important, you're very, very off base with this sentence. The connections GMcD has down in FL have paid huge dividends for this program with Ishmael and Edouard and Brisly and Enoicy. White's great for being on campus and using facebook/twitter but George has to do the leg work and get the kids interested in Syracuse for Eric's job to mean anything.

While EW is important, you're very, very off base with this sentence. The connections GMcD has down in FL have paid huge dividends for this program with Ishmael and Edouard and Brisly and Enoicy. White's great for being on campus and using facebook/twitter but George has to do the leg work and get the kids interested in Syracuse for Eric's job to mean anything.
My apologies, should have clarified that I meant "going forward". I am assuming George is gone at the end of this season.

My apologies, should have clarified that I meant "going forward". I am assuming George is gone at the end of this season.
I don't think George leaving is a formality yet, still think there's a chance he stays on but we'll see.

I don't think George leaving is a formality yet, still think there's a chance he stays on but we'll see.

Bailey wasn't so sure about McD staying after the season is over... and they seem to have developed a good relationship.

He might need to stay a year just to undo some of the damage he did to his own career

He might need to stay a year just to undo some of the damage he did to his own career

He might not get another OC position right away but he could probably go somewhere else as a position coach/recruiter and make more $$. Plus I'm not sure if his contract won't be up.

Agree. White is very good at his job and has positioned us well with some important guys. Id like to keep him as long as possible. Plus it's not like he is making a ton of money.

Problem with that is that there are always schools out there that will pay more that will steal good people away. It's called the free market. It's why we will never have a coach like Saban, Meyer, etc. There will always be schools with deeper pockets that will pay more.

He might not get another OC position right away but he could probably go somewhere else as a position coach/recruiter and make more $$. Plus I'm not sure if his contract won't be up.

He signed a two year deal when hired...it ends after this year

His resume shows him jumping around from job to job, which would be somewhat of a red flag to potential employers. As a recruiter, the players he brought in are still a year or two away from having a big impact. Still, if the right opening came along, I wouldn't be surprised if he took it, because it's now obvious that his career at SU has hit a roadblock.

Considering Eric White's alma mater (KU) is bringing in a new staff next season, I hope we are able to keep him.

His resume shows him jumping around from job to job, which would be somewhat of a red flag to potential employers. As a recruiter, the players he brought in are still a year or two away from having a big impact. Still, if the right opening came along, I wouldn't be surprised if he took it, because it's now obvious that his career at SU has hit a roadblock.
jumping from job to job is simply part of being an assistant coach in football and climbing the ladder. It won't raise a red flag for anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom