Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Damien Alford Grad Transferring to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s different than being walked out the door. And who is going to plan on stealing IP and tell their employer they are thinking of leaving?

Not sure what you do but it happens more often than you realize. When I gave notice at WD they were so paranoid my email was turned off the same day, similar approach to the last startup I was in. They do not want you around if they think you are leaving.

Frankly I didn’t care because I was leaving on my terms but in certain industries if you work on certain tech or even in sales they will freeze you out so you can’t access a CRM for example. It really isn’t as uncommon as you portray. But if you work at a place that isn’t IP sensitive or you are not in a competitive venue like ISV sales you may not see that behavior.

No opinion one way or the other, but there was some speculation in this thread that perhaps Alford was not doing required activities, including but not limited to community service to the level expected. If true, could that not have played into it?

Kind of interesting (sometimes known as funny) the previous hardcore DB defenders the last few years of terrible football. All of a sudden upset a player who has barely produced and was potentially leaving anyway, is no longer on the team. Must be bored not having all those DB diamond in the rough recruiting classes to defend each season.

Pouring what? The players are the program. If he’s letting kids who he already told they are gone work with the team why is this any different? There’s no impact to the “Program” having one more player working out why he sorts things out.
There is if he’s not giving maximum effort. Which is what some have presupposed. And before you say we don’t know that, neither do you.

Kind of interesting (sometimes known as funny) the previous hardcore DB defenders the last few years of terrible football. All of a sudden upset a player who has barely produced and was potentially leaving anyway, is no longer on the team. Must be bored not having all those DB diamond in the rough recruiting classes to defend each season.
It is an interesting psychology - shielding Dino from those criticizing him based on limited actual public information yet freely criticizing Fran about a situation with limited actual public information.

I don’t know what you do for a living but in my world if you are worth a damn you get a counter what can we do to keep you, not summary dismissal.
I thought that happened x 2, if there was something different CFB could have done differently I pray he would own up to it. However I feel there is minimal insider info her on this matter besides player perspective. What about Marrone and hyper attrition, please tell me? Is this different? I was a huge CDB guy x a million, I am however fully behind this coach and actually trust he is a better fit esp regionally. We have to win, and it will have to be done the right way from a tactical standpoint incl heavy dose of discipline. I also trust when he talks about goodness and character. I believe with him, if there was some lumps apologize and make sure you make it right. If not haters gonna hate no matter what, I already see them lining up, for coach Red too. Goooooooo Cuse

I’m sure Alford is a great kid. Truly.

I think some people in this thread who have cheered our current recruiting upswing should go check out what occurs with big time programs.

It’s not nice. It’s rough.

I’m not saying what happened here is right or wrong. Don’t have the info. Don’t want to.

What I’m saying is we’re in it now. And the time for getting the vapors over certain things has to come to an end.

Fran Brown isn’t going to have a five step session over Alford.

Business isn’t pretty and that’s not a knock against the kid at all. Probably a lesson to how it was handled publicly but otherwise this is life if you wanna play in the big leagues of college athletics.

Frankly, my dear, Coach Brown may not think he’s worth a damn.
Look it seems he wanted to portal last year and didn't. Coach probably talked to all the current players about playing this year. It seems Alford wasn't sure, and wanted to think about it.
Fran needs players by this time of year to be committed or move on.
Practices for spring are here, and you are fully committed or leave.

Not sure what you do but it happens more often than you realize. When I gave notice at WD they were so paranoid my email was turned off the same day, similar approach to the last startup I was in. They do not want you around if they think you are leaving.

Frankly I didn’t care because I was leaving on my terms but in certain industries if you work on certain tech or even in sales they will freeze you out so you can’t access a CRM for example. It really isn’t as uncommon as you portray. But if you work at a place that isn’t IP sensitive or you are not in a competitive venue like ISV sales you may not see that behavior.

Coming from someone who worked in auto sales

The moment a sales guy even HINTED that they were thinking of going elsewhere they were dismissed immediately.

Access to email was gone and anything close to a CRM was probably already pulled from them before they had the meeting with a manager.

Am I the only 1 thinking the following?

- Ahmad leaked it to Thamel but didn’t expect it to go public
- He then leaves under bizarre circumstances
- Makes a tweet about trust (maybe aimed at Thamel)
- Then has to go back to PSU because his leak got him fired
I mean…I’m struggling with why it’s leak worthy news to thamel. It’s not like OG got kicked off the team.

I mean…I’m struggling with why it’s leak worthy news to thamel. It’s not like OG got kicked off the team.
Thamel gets to cause trouble at SU, that's why

It absolutely is analogous… I was recruited to work for company X, received benefits of company X and if I said I was entertaining going elsewhere I’d be let go.

You want to use the develop young man trope? Fine, maybe Brown is teaching him about actions and consequences. It’s like telling your boss you want to shop for a better job but in the meantime still collect a paycheck.

Stop coddling kids and show them how the real world works, the moment you get paid (NIL) you are a professional act accordingly. You want to get paid like an adult you get treated like one.
You’re an adult in a job though. NIL aside, this isn’t a job for Alford. He doesn’t get paid by SU, he doesn’t receive health insurance from SU.

And no one knows what the guy actually said to Brown. Which makes some of this tough love posturing seem weird to me.

I didn't care if alford transfers

It's a dick move to slap the dismissed label on a kid when you can just keep your mouth shut while he transfers

I didn't care if everyone is still creaming their jeans over brown, just like I didn't care that I thought that babers was weird in his very first press conference, I think it's a bad thing to do to a player who didn't do anything like other players who get the dismissed label

You’re an adult in a job though. NIL aside, this isn’t a job for Alford. He doesn’t get paid by SU, he doesn’t receive health insurance from SU.

And no one knows what the guy actually said to Brown. Which makes some of this tough love posturing seem weird to me.
He receives compensation from SU in terms of scholarship … while not a traditional job he is given something for playing football let’s not sugar coat this.

I have no idea what was said to Brown but like I said folks can be let go for doing what was stated he had done himself saying he was considering greener pastures so there it is.

All of this is semantics.

I didn't care if everyone is still creaming their jeans over brown
Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

He receives compensation from SU in terms of scholarship … while not a traditional job he is given something for playing football let’s not sugar coat this.

I have no idea what was said to Brown but like I said folks can be let go for doing what was stated he had done himself saying he was considering greener pastures so there it is.

All of this is semantics.
1) there are protections in place to guarantee scholarships even if you no longer play football at the school you are enrolled with (meaning all things equal, Damien gets the value he's at the school for to begin with even if he isn't part of the team under the new rules)

2) there is complete freedom to freely transfer elsewhere with no transfer penalty and to potentially improve your NIL lot as a result

So effectively, all the hand wringing has nothing to do with anything financial because that is protected. It has nothing to do with playing football because that opportunity is protected as well. Those two concepts shouldn't even be part of the discussion here.

I believe someone associated with the program or maybe a second hand person leaked this info to Thamel before Alford was informed, which is not kosher in any sense of the term. I don't believe for a second that Fran did it. That's the main wrong here. Other than that, they're freely within their power to dismiss a player at any time if they feel the player is a detriment to the team or a non-contributor, and there's nothing wrong with that or publicly acknowledging that. That's life.

1) there are protections in place to guarantee scholarships even if you no longer play football at the school you are enrolled with (meaning all things equal, Damien gets the value he's at the school for to begin with even if he isn't part of the team under the new rules)

2) there is complete freedom to freely transfer elsewhere with no transfer penalty and to potentially improve your NIL lot as a result

So effectively, all the hand wringing has nothing to do with anything financial because that is protected. It has nothing to do with playing football because that opportunity is protected as well. Those two concepts shouldn't even be part of the discussion here.

I believe someone associated with the program or maybe a second hand person leaked this info to Thamel before Alford was informed, which is not kosher in any sense of the term. I don't believe for a second that Fran did it. That's the main wrong here. Other than that, they're freely within their power to dismiss a player at any time if they feel the player is a detriment to the team or a non-contributor, and there's nothing wrong with that or publicly acknowledging that. That's life.
And do you think he would have that scholly at SU if he wasn’t playing football? So playing that game got him the scholarship and yes he can stay and finish school but that doesn’t remove the fact that football is what got him that free ride. Again we are all playing semantics. I like Alford as a player and as a person but running a team is big business and big business decisions get made.

I thought that happened x 2, if there was something different CFB could have done differently I pray he would own up to it. However I feel there is minimal insider info her on this matter besides player perspective. What about Marrone and hyper attrition, please tell me? Is this different? I was a huge CDB guy x a million, I am however fully behind this coach and actually trust he is a better fit esp regionally. We have to win, and it will have to be done the right way from a tactical standpoint incl heavy dose of discipline. I also trust when he talks about goodness and character. I believe with him, if there was some lumps apologize and make sure you make it right. If not haters gonna hate no matter what, I already see them lining up, for coach Red too. Goooooooo Cuse
I’ve been all in on brown before he was announced.

Doesn’t mean I can’t recognize this was handled clumsily. Doesn’t mean you‘re a hater to say that.

Besides Fran came out and said Alford was a good player and wished him well.
So it had to be someone else at the University who fed Thamel the story.
They should be fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors