Day Ten Fall Football Practice: #11 & #12, 8/15/16 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Day Ten Fall Football Practice: #11 & #12, 8/15/16

LeMoyneCuse said:
I see your argument, but you're saying that if they're just lousy instead of bad, they've been underrated. Who cares? They'd still be lousy. Our ends are a RS Frosh, a grad transfer, and a a bunch of freshmen, three of whom have been on campus for a month. And maybe a walk on linebacker. We're talking about a defense that will take lots of snaps and rotate lots of guys. We're going to be relying young players with limited coaching or exposure to polished technique, limited workout time and conditioning, and no college experience. While the worst case scenario may not happen, it's still not promising. They could develop into an asset, but that's not anywhere near a guarantee right now.

No one is saying they are a guarantee right now. I was simply responding that if the thought is they will be a major weakness, then an average DLine would exceed most expectations and constitute it as "under-rated" going into the season.

I think we won't know what we have until a few games into the season. As usual, we can probably say they will be overmatched when the play FSU, ND, and Clemson.

But I don't have any problem with a poster saying "they may be under-rated" when the raters are all saying it's our major weakness.

No one is saying they are a guarantee right now. I was simply responding that if the thought is they will be a major weakness, then an average DLine would exceed most expectations and constitute it as "under-rated" going into the season.

I think we won't know what we have until a few games into the season. As usual, we can probably say they will be overmatched when the play FSU, ND, and Clemson.

But I don't have any problem with a poster saying "they may be under-rated" when the raters are all saying it's our major weakness.

I have no issues with saying that Steven and Chris can go toe-to-toe with FSU, ND, and Clemson OL. They're not giving up anything to those guys. The others? Not sure, but I don't think they'll suck.

Yeah, but an average D-Line is still an average D-Line, regardless if that's being predicted or not.

I have no issues with saying that Steven and Chris can go toe-to-toe with FSU, ND, and Clemson OL. They're not giving up anything to those guys. The others? Not sure, but I don't think they'll suck.

Thought you might chime in... That's my hope too. Just didn't want to appear to much like a homer ;)

Yeah, but an average D-Line is still an average D-Line, regardless if that's being predicted or not.

Sure. But given the prognostications, average is better than horrible. Which means it's being under-rated. No one is predicting them to be all-conference.

(And in my opinion, an average Dline this year would be great - especially if the young DE's play and get better as the season goes on. That would be a great year for them, no?)

Could Colt McCoy be a good comparison for Dungey? Athletic but not off the charts. Good arm but not great. A guy that makes plays and ends up being a really good college qb.

Our line is only as strong as its weakest link. So while a few players might be able to hold their own, we need the whole line to do so or we'll be exposed all season. I have high hopes for the line but until we see it in a game we can't say we'll hold our own.

Could Colt McCoy be a good comparison for Dungey? Athletic but not off the charts. Good arm but not great. A guy that makes plays and ends up being a really good college qb.
No way. Eric Dungey will prove to be much better (as long as he remains in good health the next 3 years)

And if he remains in good health the next 3 years, he will only improve on a phenomenal half of a freshman season and be a first rounder. I truly believe this. Not orange colored glasses.

Nassib in his senior year didn't compare to Dungey in his freshman, and Nassib was drafted in the 4th (?)

Baber's knows what he has better than any of us. He will not let on to what he has, he will keep that grinning poker face right through the first game. As to the staff same as Baber's. Personally I think we will be ok and getting better as the season moves along. Baber's and company are no GRob or Shaffer and I think they understand these college kids and their capabilities a lot better than Marrone/staff.

Last edited:
I personally think we'll be fine.
I'm glad you do, and I'm looking forward to see what they can do. But you'll always have a hair of bias because of your son. We just need to see the unit in game situations before we can make an assessment.

Baber's knows what he has better than any of us. He will not let on to what he has, he will keep that grinning poker face right through the first game. As to the staff same as Baber's. Personally I think we will be ok and getting better as the season moves along. Baber's and company are no GRob or even Shaffer and I think they understand these college kids and their capabilities a lot better than Marrone/staff.

Holy apostrophes.

Being a very old oldtimer I like looking back into my early adulthood and comparing today's players with some back in the 50s and 60s. When I see Dungey I get reminded of a young Midshipman from the early 60s who won the Heisman in 63. The physical resemblance and the moves and passing motion are eerily similiar. Wonder if any old folks here see what I see.

Being a very old oldtimer I like looking back into my early adulthood and comparing today's players with some back in the 50s and 60s. When I see Dungey I get reminded of a young Midshipman from the early 60s who won the Heisman in 63. The physical resemblance and the moves and passing motion are eerily similiar. Wonder if any old folks here see what I see.
Like Staubach eh? That's a tall order. Love the comparison though. ED's got a long, long way to go to approach Staubach level - but... faith without evidence, right? I'm in!

Ringostar57 said:

I am not old enough to have seen him play, but my understanding of Staubach is he was/is highly intellectual as well. A quality also shared by Dungey.

No way. Eric Dungey will prove to be much better (as long as he remains in good health the next 3 years)

And if he remains in good health the next 3 years, he will only improve on a phenomenal half of a freshman season and be a first rounder. I truly believe this. Not orange colored glasses.

Nassib in his senior year didn't compare to Dungey in his freshman, and Nassib was drafted in the 4th (?)
you gotta love a post that simultaneously claims that Eric Dungey "will prove to be much better" than the winningest college QB of all time, and in the next breath claims to not be wearing orange colored glasses.

I mean, go ahead and be a fan and all, but at least own the orange colored glasses, because yours are deeply tinted.

Steven told me Pickard has seriously improved since last year. I'm hoping the starting front 4 are Jake and Chris at DE, and Steven and Kayton at DT.

Bcubs, that is my dream front 4. Perfect combo of beef and speed. Thanks for the insight;)

It means people see zero snaps and assume the worst. Tons of publications have used that as a sign that we'll suck. So they are giving it a rating without seeing it, right?

What if Pickard lives up to his offer list (Wiscy and Michigan)? What if the grad transfer is better than we thought?

If they are simply average, they have been under-rated.

That's a great scenario. If both are firing off the edge and causing havoc, we are a 7-5 team, AT LEAST!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom