Class of 2016 - DB Craig Watts JR (FL) Transferring from USF | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DB Craig Watts JR (FL) Transferring from USF

You can make offers to long shots and not spend a lot of resources recruiting them. But then if they commit, I say you have to honor it. If we had zero interest in him why send a written offer?
I agree. This is one of those 'throw a dart and see where it lands' situations. If Craig Watts or Rashan Gary suddenly decide they want to play for Syracuse, I imagine we'll take them. But we're definitely not spending resources on them because they aren't particularly realistic. Just tempering things for people seeing this letter and thinking we're actively pursuing him, because we're not.

CuseLegacy said:
Yes he could commit but he would still have to meet the requirements as stated in the letter.

Of course he has to meet NCAA and admissions requirements. That's standard.

jekelish said:
I agree. This is one of those 'throw a dart and see where it lands' situations. If Craig Watts or Rashan Gary suddenly decide they want to play for Syracuse, I imagine we'll take them. But we're definitely not spending resources on them because they aren't particularly realistic. Just tempering things for people seeing this letter and thinking we're actively pursuing him, because we're not.

I have no problem with that.

Of course he has to meet NCAA and admissions requirements. That's standard.

Yes. And it is a long way off before anyone knows if all these kids will meet those requirements so sending out offer letters is a numbers game.

CuseLegacy said:
Yes. And it is a long way off before anyone knows if all these kids will meet those requirements so sending out offer letters is a numbers game.

And there always seems to be a couple that don't qualify. But having to qualify is a given and not my point.

Whether we're actively recruiting him or not we sent him a written offer because we'd take him. Anyone think Clarke got one?

I'm curious did he tweet out any of his other written offers?

Whether we're actively recruiting him or not we sent him a written offer because we'd take him. Anyone think Clarke got one?

I'm curious did he tweet out any of his other written offers?
Yes, his three latest tweets are his written offers from Arizona, SU, and USF. He's also recently tweeted Miami, North Carolina, Indiana, and Oklahoma. That's within the last 10-12 tweets.

rrlbees said:
And there always seems to be a couple that don't qualify. But having to qualify is a given and not my point.

I don't see the difference between that and applying goals that coaches set academically or behaviorally or even physically (rehabbing).

TheCusian said:
I don't see the difference between that and applying goals that coaches set academically or behaviorally or even physically (rehabbing).

I didn't see any of that in the offer.

rrlbees said:
I didn't see any of that in the offer.

Right - but the verbal offer prior comes with similar requirements laid out by the recruiter. I see no difference.

It's an offer with requirements that need to be met. End of story.

TheCusian said:
Right - but the verbal offer prior comes with similar requirements laid out by the recruiter. I see no difference. It's an offer with requirements that need to be met. End of story.

The picture is an offer. If a kid blows it academically, he doesn't qualify. If he gets in trouble, you pull it. If he gets hurt you have to decide whether you still want him depending on the injury. If not, you pull it. End of story.

I'm just relaying what I've been told. We're focusing on Burrell and Burch. We haven't been in contact with Watts in more than a month. I'm guessing we had a lot of these letters ready to go and queued up weeks ago.
So now we are sending Written non-commitable offers?
explodinghead.jpg

So now we are sending Written non-commitable offers?
explodinghead.jpg
No, I don't believe this is non-committable. But we're not putting any resources into his recruitment other than mailing a letter. We don't expect him to ever actually commit, so we're not really recruiting him. We went a letter. That's the end of it.

No, I don't believe this is non-committable. But we're not putting any resources into his recruitment other than mailing a letter. We don't expect him to ever actually commit, so we're not really recruiting him. We went a letter. That's the end of it.
But if he did decide to commit to a written offer - then what?

Toga said:

You accept it.

I am sure the staff has a good idea about the interest level all the kids have in the program. Just because they receive a written offer it doesn't mean that the kid is interested enough to commit. These kids are back up plans for the kids that are really interested and likely to commit. Once the class is full it doesn't matter if you have a written offer.

I am sure the staff has a good idea about the interest level all the kids have in the program. Just because they receive a written offer it doesn't mean that the kid is interested enough to commit. These kids are back up plans for the kids that are really interested and likely to commit. Once the class is full it doesn't matter if you have a written offer.
But what if? Are you saying that not only are there non-commitable verbal offers, but there are also non-commitable written offers?

But what if? Are you saying that not only are there non-commitable verbal offers, but there are also non-commitable written offers?
That would be correct. Nothing in this whole process is stone-cold guaranteed. Even an NLI isn't necessarily 100%.

That would be correct. Nothing in this whole process is stone-cold guaranteed. Even an NLI isn't necessarily 100%.
What a freaking minefield for recruits and their families.

I equate it to a job offer...you may be offered a job but if you fail the drug or psychological test the offer goes away. That is why the offer states that there are requirements that must be met.

But what I am saying is that yes this kid has been given a written offer but in many, many cases they are not going to commit to Syracuse. The interest level is not there. But if things change on both sides the written offer has already been extended.

What a freaking minefield for recruits and their families.
Yeah, it kinda sucks. But, for the most part, it's not an everyday series of horror shows. The biggest thing a recruit can do to help himself in this process is to always ensure that there are options.

Every recruiting cycle is constantly evolving. Needs change, open spots change, positions fill up, so what was once committable is gone quickly. Offers just aren't eternal. It sucks, but hell - we've offered something like 130 kids this year. Obviously not every single one of those is committable. You offer 5 kids hoping to get 1, and at the time, you'd take any of the 5. When one commits, the other four suddenly aren't committable. It's the way things go.

A written offer letter seems to me to be committable pending admission and NCAA eligibility, or a follow-up written communication retracting the previous offer. Now, some other schools clearly spell out that the written offer is contingent upon a scholarship being available at the position, so maybe SU should update the letter to include that language.

jekelish said:
Every recruiting cycle is constantly evolving. Needs change, open spots change, positions fill up, so what was once committable is gone quickly. Offers just aren't eternal. It sucks, but hell - we've offered something like 130 kids this year. Obviously not every single one of those is committable. You offer 5 kids hoping to get 1, and at the time, you'd take any of the 5. When one commits, the other four suddenly aren't committable. It's the way things go.

Not every kid gets a written offer.

Isn't it logical that the staff sends out written offers to the guys that have committed, their very top offers that they would accept a commitment from immediately that they have been recruiting heavily AND throw some out at guys that you would take in a heartbeat that have at least been shown some interest? The guys being recruited that did not receive written offers are backup plans for the remaining spots available. It is not a slight to them, it is just how the staff is trying to fill out the class. Watts has offers from everyone, you would have to believe that if he called and accepted the offer today, we would accept. Then the remaining spots would be re-evaluated. Perhaps Burrell would then lose his committable offer, perhaps they would still take him and someone else would be bumped down. In the fluid world of recruiting, isn't it perfectly understandable how some of this works, or am I totally off base?