Class of 2016 DE Amir Watts (IL) Verbal to Pitt

Offers include...

Ball ST., Buffalo, CMU, Illinois, New Mexico, Toledo, Syracuse

Free Article...

https://edgytim./content.asp?CID=1742111
March 1, 2015

Illini offer 2016 defensive lineman

Jonathan Joffe

Chicago Phillips defensive end Amir Watts picked up an offer from the University of Illinois on Saturday after taking part in a junior day on campus.
spacer1.gif

spacer1.gif

Amir Watts picked up an Illini offer on Saturday.
The 6-foot-3, 260-pound junior holds several offers, including Ball State, Central Michigan, Miami-Ohio, New Mexico, Toledo, Southern Illinois, Western Kentucky, and Western Michigan. He is also hearing from Indiana, Vanderbilt, and Pittsburgh.
Despite his familiarity with the recruitment process, Watts was at a loss for words following the Illini offer.
"I honestly didn't really know what to say," Watts said. "It's my first major offer. It's just a lot to handle, and I'm trying to let it all sink in."
Watts has visited Illinois on numerous occasions, and while he is a big fan of the campus and all of its amenities, he is a bigger fan of the relationship that exists between the team and its players.
"It's an amazing program, actually," Watts said. "I really like it because I think they build a brotherhood here."
The Illini have also offered Watts' Chicago Phillips teammates linebacker Amani Jones and wide-receiver Quayvon Skanes, and all three were at Illinois on Saturday. The trio also visited Central Michigan recently.
Though he has known Skanes and other teammates at Phillips for several years, this fall will be Watts' first season at Phillips after transferring from Chicago De La Salle over the Christmas break.
Watts was quick to note that the three teammates are enticed at the idea of playing together at Illinois.
"All of us really like (Illinois) and what they have to offer," said Watts. "It's just a great experience here at Illinois."
Watts feels that his speed separates him from other defensive end prospects, noting that his offensive game - he has also played running back and flex tight end - showcases that athletic ability.
Watts is hoping to be the final piece to a state championship team after Phillips lost in the Illinois Class 4A title game to Rochester last season.
"I'm really looking forward to it," Watts told . "The move has been real smooth. I know a lot of the guys at Phillips, so I already have a lot of chemistry with everybody and it's working real well for me. I like my teammates and I think we have a good foundation."

This article was written before his Syracuse offer.

http://www.chicagofootball.com/2015...tball-recruit-qa-phillips-amir-watts/aknvspy/

High school football recruit Q&A: Phillips' Amir Watts
By JON STYF – jstyf@shawmedia.com - Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:52 p.m. CDT

e1a9rrr6duuc66h5hrx7dehejz2cfxr

From left, Phillips WR Quayvon Skanes, lineman Amir Watts and linebacker Amani Jones during their Junior Day visit to Illinois.
Height: 6-3

Weight: 270

Offers: Bowling Green, Syracuse, Buffalo, Illinois, Western Kentucky, New Mexico, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Ball State, Toledo, Southern Illinois, Miami (Ohio)

On Twitter: @AmirWatts345

When did you transfer from De La Salle to Phillips?

I transferred two weeks ago. They made it to the state championship, and I've known all those guys on that team for a while. I feel a bond with them.

You got several offers along with Quayvon Skanes and Amani Jones. Did you guys travel together?

We visited Central Michigan together and we're going to visit Illinois on Saturday. (CMU) was real fun. We got to see a lot of the campus, meet some of the players and saw the NFL players that went there. Met the new head coach, who just got the job. It was just the three of us and coach (Michael) Larson. I'm pretty excited about Illinois.

Do you play any other sports?

I play other sports, just not on the high school team.

When was the first time you received recruiting interest?

Probably my sophomore year. As a sophomore I played varsity, so people were interested then.

What position are the college coaches interested in you for?

Defensive lineman. I mainly play defense, but I played fullback and running back and a little slot last year.

The New Mexico offer came on Wednesday. When did you start talking to them?

Tuesday. It moved quick.

How do those calls go?

They go pretty smooth. They tell me that they've seen my highlight tape and what they were looking for and that they wanted to offer me. They liked what they saw.

How important is Twitter in recruiting?

It's very important. At this point, they can't call you back or anything. It's real important just to get in touch with the coaches and let them know that you're interested.

Are you planning on more visits?

I'm trying to get a lot of them out of the way but I'm sure there will still be visits in the fall.

Where?

Probably Western Michigan. I was also talking to Pitt but I will probably wait until the coach (Offensive line coach John Peterson) comes down to Chicago.

How much time do you think you spend talking to coaches?

Since it started, at least 30 minutes to an hour out of the day. Just to get ahold of them and touch base. Every day is something new at this point. I am just waiting for the next one.

Is it good to go through this process with friends?

Yeah. It's good to have somebody to relate to. It's always good seeing your teammates and everybody do well.

How long have you known them?

I have known Quayvon since 7th grade. I just met Amani this last year, but I've know the rest of the team since either seventh or eighth grade. We all started playing together in seventh grad. At first, it was a team at Dunbar that was the Mighty Men, but then in eighth grade, they moved everybody to Phillips and we became the Wildcats.

At 6-3, 270, despite being listed as a DE...but could this potentially be a DT recruit for us?

At 6-3, 270, despite being listed as a DE...but could this potentially be a DT recruit for us?
Absolutely the same thought I had. I'm interested, I hope the coaching staff is also.

Talk about quick off the ball. Great push-pull. Plays with tenacity. I think this kid could grow into a great 3-tech with great pass rushing ability from the interior.

This kid, regardless of offers and rankings, is a kid that can help us.

Could be because he plays rb as well but this kid reminds me of of Harold Brantley. I get that he could put on some weight and move inside but he looks like a big, rush de in how he fires off the ball and reads oline pressure very well. Knowing what we already have on roster as young dt's it we may best better served to keep him at DE. He plays fast for a big man similar to what wehave on the edges right now and is sturdy enough to set the edge and would push rb's back inside where they really dont want to be with the bruisers we have waiting.

Suffice to say I hope our coaches have the time to reach out on this bye week.

Wow he abused that black and yellow team. Kids looks like he has a mean streak too. He won't throw kids around in college like he did there but once he gets better technique then I think he'll be pretty good.

How about the Amir and amir show? Man that's really going to confuse all the announcers

Would absolutely LOVE to land this kid. Can play either DE or DT, so he gives great flexibility on the line to plug him in wherever we need him.

The guy looks like a bull and his size plus the type of guys we go after he looks like a DE who grows into a DT. Obviously he will get coached up on technique, but in his film I like him better on the outside vs the inside. When he lines up inside I hate how he stands straight up (I'd assume that's mostly because he's bigger and stronger than most so can get away with it at that level). This will undoubtedly change once he gets to college and starts lining up against some big guys where he'll need to utilize his speed and athleticism.