Class of 2015 - DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI

That was just information from the recruits, the Staff has kept quiet about whether they contacted the recruits, which doesn't embarrass either side.

That's fair, but it is now three different recruits from three different regions of the country independently having very similar stories. That's an awfully odd coincidence for a situation that ostensibly doesn't have any merit.

In the world of texts, twitter and emails. You guys really think he couldnt get a hold of a coach or vice versa? Its not hard for a coach to say we dont like the status of your foot, we want to see you prep and go from there. That takes 1o seconds to type and send on a phone. You guys really think the coaches have not told him this stuff?

In the world of texts, twitter and emails. You guys really think he couldnt get a hold of a coach or vice versa? Its not hard for a coach to say we dont like the status of your foot, we want to see you prep and go from there. That takes 1o seconds to type and send on a phone. You guys really think the coaches have not told him this stuff?

Like I said earlier, does his phone not dial out?

That's fair, but it is now three different recruits from three different regions of the country independently having very similar stories. That's an awfully odd coincidence for a situation that ostensibly doesn't have any merit.
Its not a coincidence when its the best excuse a recruit can make when they know a school doesnt want them anymore. They all say that to prevent the embarassment of not going to that school.

According to the commits in one sided articles that the staff can't comment on. If you want to take that as gospel, then that's your prerogative.

Seriously? I don't take it as "gospel," but I do think it is likely given that we have three unconnected recruits who all have had similar experiences, and have similarly described how the coaching staff went dark from a communication standpoint despite repeated efforts to contact them, the staff providing wishy-washy answers about status, etc.

I love this staff. I don't fault them for moving on from a Lindor, or injured players like Ginnetti / Dawson. Just be up front. If you listen to the recent recruits describe their interactions with the staff, they talk about how the coaching staff cares about them, how they are concerned about them as people, how they have their best interests in mind, etc. I believe them, because I think that this staff is comprised of good guys who generally are straight shooters and want the kids to do well in school and succeed. But I don't like this particular pattern--my only complaint. Especially with two kids bouncing back from health issues.

I don't take any one sided story as "gospel" [your words]. But we've now heard this story a couple of times, and I'm inclined to now think it is probable based upon that.

Last edited:
Its not a coincidence when its the best excuse a recruit can make when they know a school doesnt want them anymore. The all say that to prevent the embarassment of not going to that school.

So let me get this straight: your position is that the coaching staff has already unequivocally told Ginnetti that he isn't wanted, and clarified that he doesn't have a scholarship available, and its just the kid making an excuse to suggest that they haven't given him a straight answer to stave off embarrassment?

I don't buy that. And I am a huge Shafer supporter.

But agree to disagree. I'm more happy about landing Neal than I am worrying about Ginnetti.

So let me get this straight: your position is that the coaching staff has already told Ginnetti that he isn't wanted, and clarified that he doesn't have a scholarship available, and its just the kid making an excuse to suggest that they haven't given him a straight answer to stave off embarrassment?

I don't buy that. And I am a huge Shafer supporter.
ASOLUTELY my position. I know what I know but you believe all these kids if u want. What about believing the 55 other players they recruited.

ASOLUTELY my position. I know what I know but you believe all these kids if u want. What about believing the 55 other players they recruited.

Did they also provide Dawson with a definitive answer? What about Lindor?

Three different kids, the same story. So I don't buy your take. If the staff had told them a definitive answer, then the kids move on and that's that, but at least everybody knows where they stand. And there's probably some face saving posturing, but they aren't left swinging in the breeze.

I guess I'm just more sensitive to it about Dawson / Ginnetti in particular only from the standpoint that they are coming back from health issues. I really don't even care about not landing those players specifically, because I think we are recruiting at a higher level and can do better [apologies, because I know that sounds mercenary].

Did they also provide Dawson with a definitive answer? What about Lindor?

Three different kids, the same story. So I don't buy your take. If the staff had told them a definitive answer, then the kids move on and that's that, but at least everybody knows where they stand. And there's probably some face saving posturing, but they aren't left swinging in the breeze.

I guess I'm just more sensitive to it about Dawson / Ginnetti in particular only from the standpoint that they are coming back from health issues. I really don't even care about not landing those players specifically, because I think we are recruiting at a higher level and can do better [apologies, because I know that sounds mercenary].
YES and YES.

RF2044 said:
Did they also provide Dawson with a definitive answer? What about Lindor? Three different kids, the same story. So I don't buy your take. If the staff had told them a definitive answer, then the kids move on and that's that, but at least everybody knows where they stand. I guess I'm just more sensitive to it about Dawson / Ginnetti only from the standpoint that they are coming back from health issues. I really don't even care about not landing those players specifically, because I think we are recruiting at a higher level and can do better [apologies, because I know that sounds mercenary].

I'll say this - sometimes these kids are saying "they haven't talked to me at all" and others "they haven't told me my offer is good" - two very different things.

And while it's not the best story - health concerns prior to enrolling is exactly why you hold off.

YES and YES.
I'll take your word for it. I trust your word.

And as stated above, I believe we can do better than Ginnetti, so I'd rather see the scholarship freed up.

I'll take your word for it. I trust your word.

And as stated above, I believe we can do better than Ginnetti, so I'd rather see the scholarship freed up.
Like Bo Peek or Mr. Colon. or both lol

So the kid speaks and it's gospel...and on top of that, 3 kids in 3 different regions is a pattern of behavior when this staff speaks and recruits well over 100 kids a recruiting season...got it. Sounds to me like the staff moved on from these kids and told them that they were and they were upset and had no contact with them after that. Hence the lack of contact. Even Ginnetti's coach said they were "iffy" on him after the injury. SO they spoke to the coach and expressed their reservations but they didn't tell the kid or his HS coach didn't talk to him, I call BullShlit on what the kid is saying for that reason and the fact that the coaches can't talk about it.

We are also talking about 3 disgruntled kids who were upset that they go their offer pulled or weren't allowed to commit BTW. As another poster above said, if you want to believe the kids, that is your prerogative.

One thing I can say is that I have heard many people relay their "take" on something they have been told and quite often it is not what was said at all. Their version is so far off the mark it challenges the imagination to see how they even came up with it. Even after it has been restated to them, they still have a different view. As an employer, I deal with this all the time and it really make my head spin, sometimes. I'll side with the coaches.

So the kid speaks and it's gospel...and on top of that, 3 kids in 3 different regions is a pattern of behavior when this staff speaks and recruits well over 100 kids a recruiting season...got it. Sounds to me like the staff moved on from these kids and told them that they were and they were upset and had no contact with them after that. Hence the lack of contact. Even Ginnetti's coach said they were "iffy" on him after the injury. SO they spoke to the coach and expressed their reservations but they didn't tell the kid or his HS coach didn't talk to him, I call BullShlit on what the kid is saying for that reason and the fact that the coaches can't talk about it.

We are also talking about 3 disgruntled kids who were upset that they go their offer pulled or weren't allowed to commit BTW. As another poster above said, if you want to believe the kids, that is your prerogative.

You need to get your facts straight. First of all, all three kids did in fact commit--so this had zero to do with 3 disgruntled kids who were upset because they weren't allowed to commit. Two of them were securely in the fold as SIGNED LOI members of our program until injuries / illnesses derailed them. At the very least, the coaching staff owes it to them as COMMITTED members of the family to give them straight answers.

Secondly, telling a HS coach you're "iffy" about bringing him in might "express reservation" [your words], but it isn't a straight answer. I'm not interested in splitting hairs over what was allegedly said versus not said, because none of us participated in those conversations--we can only go by what we've heard. And also because I trust Money's info / sources / insight, so I'm willing to let it drop. But I do find it comical that you criticize me for taking the information available as gospel, while you hypocritically point to an unsubstantiated player quote from the same interview ["iffy"] as "proof" backing your argument up.

And one more thing--having three stories like this is definitely a pattern. The vast majority of the hundreds of kids we recruit don't commit to our coaching staff and program. For the ones that do, I expect them to be treated respectfully--especially when one of the kids is coming off of cancer treatment [and another is trying to bounce back from a bad injury]. So when I see multiple stories like this come up in less than one year [dating back to Lindor last fall], it raises eyebrows. Now, as some have pointed out, it doesn't mean that the coaches are guilty of doing things the wrong way, but it is definitely odd that they keep getting accused of this.

Last edited:
You need to get your facts straight. First of all, all three kids did in fact commit--so this had zero to do with 3 disgruntled kids who were upset because they weren't allowed to commit. Two of them were securely in the fold as SIGNED LOI members of our program until injuries / illnesses derailed them. At the very least, the coaching staff owes it to them as COMMITTED members of the family to give them straight answers.

Secondly, telling a HS coach you're "iffy" about bringing him in might "express reservation" [your words], but it isn't a straight answer. I'm not interested in splitting hairs over what was allegedly said versus not said, because none of us participated in those conversations--we can only go by what we've heard. And also because I trust Money's info / sources / insight, so I'm willing to let it drop. But I do find it comical that you criticize me for taking the information available as gospel, while you hypocritically point to an unsubstantiated player quote from the same interview ["iffy"] as "proof" backing your argument up.

And one more thing--having three stories like this is definitely a pattern. The vast majority of the hundreds of kids we recruit don't commit to our coaching staff and program. For the ones that do, I expect them to be treated respectfully--especially when one of the kids is coming off of cancer treatment [and another is trying to bounce back from a bad injury]. So when I see multiple stories like this come up in less than one year [dating back to Lindor last fall], it raises eyebrows. Now, as some have pointed out, it doesn't mean that the coaches are guilty of doing things the wrong way, but it is definitely odd that they keep getting accused of this.

I will confirm Moneys take.

FYI its also important to note a couple items -

1. The coaches plan was all along (post injury) for a January 16 arrival. The kid saying he's ready has no bearing on that.
2. One must keep in mind there are significant stretches of Dead period in which the coaches/players must navigate. So it actually may be true that there was limited conversation when Brandon said he would be ready for August.

That being said. If he feels slighted and doesn't want to wait he should go to another school.

As far as Dawson - there is no provision for the school to honor a scholarship if there is a medical hardship (unless the school wishes to do so on there own i.e. outside of AD) He has been out for two years. If you have a problem with what or how they handled that situation well I have no real answer. Lindor was a McF*&it special. enough said. And if we lose the fertile hot bed of SU recruiting in MO because of it then oh well.

However, In all cases the kids were made aware of where they stood - verbally.

Last edited:

1. The coaches plan was all along (post injury) for a January 17 arrival. The kid saying he's ready has no bearing on that.
2. One must keep in mind there are significant stretches of Dead period in which the coaches/players must navigate. So it actually may be true that there was limited conversation when Brandon said he would be ready for August.

That being said. If he feels slighted and doesn't want to wait he should go to another school.

As far as Dawson - there is no provision for the school to honor a scholarship if there is a medical hardship (unless the school wishes to do so on there own i.e. outside of AD) He has been out for two years. If you have a problem with what or how they handled that situation well I have no real answer. Lindor was a McF*&it special. enough said. And if we lose the fertile hot bed of SU recruiting in MO because of it then oh well.

The thing is, I don't have a problem with Dawson / Ginnetti being told that the team is moving on. We are rebuilding--we can't afford to utilize precious scholarships on players who aren't capable of developing into contributors [at minimum]. It's cold, but it is what it is.

The thing is, I don't have a problem with Dawson / Ginnetti being told that the team is moving on. We are rebuilding--we can't afford to utilize precious scholarships on players who aren't capable of developing into contributors [at minimum]. It's cold, but it is what it is.

Recruiting is most certainly an interesting and confounding set of circumstances from each direction.

1. The coaches plan was all along (post injury) for a January 16 arrival. The kid saying he's ready has no bearing on that.

what about Gerald Robinson? Was he lying too?

Also, can you be more specific about what you are confirming? Are you saying that you know for a fact that Ginnetti is lying and that the coaches, have, in fact been in contact with him and have specifically and unequivocally informed him of where he stands regarding the validity of his scholarship offer? Or are you just confirming that kids are often known to lie or embellish?

I find it curious that I read over and over in other threads how this website is a place that recruits and their families read, and that is a justification for stifling and censoring otherwise normal fan chatter. Yet here, in this thread, a recruit is automatically deemed a liar simply because 1) he's a teenager and 2) what he says reflects poorly on the Syracuse coaches - despite the fact that what he says fits a pattern of behavior described by several other recruits.

what about Gerald Robinson? Was he lying too?

Also, can you be more specific about what you are confirming? Are you saying that you know for a fact that Ginnetti is lying and that the coaches, have, in fact been in contact with him and have specifically and unequivocally informed him of where he stands regarding the validity of his scholarship offer? Or are you just confirming that kids are often known to lie or embellish?

I find it curious that I read over and over in other threads how this website is a place that recruits and their families read, and that is a justification for stifling and censoring otherwise normal fan chatter. Yet here, in this thread, a recruit is automatically deemed a liar simply because 1) he's a teenager and 2) what he says reflects poorly on the Syracuse coaches - despite the fact that what he says fits a pattern of behavior described by several other recruits.
Sounds like he was told he can come in January, he wants to come now, coaches say not now, he doesn't like it. Superimpose dead period on top of that. Nobody's lying.

You-Want-The-Truth.jpg

Seriously? I don't take it as "gospel," but I do think it is likely given that we have three unconnected recruits who all have had similar experiences, and have similarly described how the coaching staff went dark from a communication standpoint despite repeated efforts to contact them, the staff providing wishy-washy answers about status, etc.

I love this staff. I don't fault them for moving on from a Lindor, or injured players like Ginnetti / Dawson. Just be up front. If you listen to the recent recruits describe their interactions with the staff, they talk about how the coaching staff cares about them, how they are concerned about them as people, how they have their best interests in mind, etc. I believe them, because I think that this staff is comprised of good guys who generally are straight shooters and want the kids to do well in school and succeed. But I don't like this particular pattern--my only complaint. Especially with two kids bouncing back from health issues.

I don't take any one sided story as "gospel" [your words]. But we've now heard this story a couple of times, and I'm inclined to now think it is probable based upon that.
I thought Shafer/Smith actually spoke on the situation with the other two recruits after last season's signing day without naming names. One recruit had work to do academically and much like other recruits that had work to do, the staff gave him a plan to get qualified and he didn't hold up his end of the bargain, so they moved on. The recruit came out and said contact went silent, but it was in some of the post-signing day interviews where Shafer eluded to this being the issue and that Syracuse didn't go radio silent. He indicated 'Cuse was straight up with the recruit and told him they didn't believe he'd make the grade.

With Lindor, the staff originally told him he'd be the ONLY TE recruited, but that when McF*ckit was the OC. When new OC Lester took over, he wanted a different style TE, so Syracuse offered a few other TE's and Lindor caught wind of it. He got pissed at the staff and decommitted saying they'd gone radio silent. However, DeAndre Smith I believe came out and discussed the situation with Lindor calling because he was upset that SU had recruited another player after promising he'd be the only one. SU told him that the new OC wanted a different type of TE, so Lindor reopened his recruitment. Once he reopened his recruitment, SU stopped pursuing him altogether (hence the radio silence). Smith apologized about the situation publicly post the signing period. Lindor ended up at Brown. So obviously he wasn't the the recruit Shafer had commented on being an academic issue.

There is always more to the story. I don't fault SU coaches in either situation as it seems they (even though they couldn't comment at the time, nor could they address the specific recruits by name) actually were in contact with the other two recruits you mention, however, the recruits didn't like what they heard or continued to not hear after SU moved on. Considering Ginnetti hasn't committed to play for another D1A program yet, I'm willing to bet that the SU staff told him they wanted to play prep ball to prove he could still be a D1A level player, but since they cannot speak on the topic, he's trying to do everything he can to get another D1A offer for this fall. Let's let this be and I'm sure the real story will emerge once all is said and done. No good can come from continuing to promote this thread as it shines SU in a negative light, even though it's highly possible/probable that the story we're hearing has some fallacies involved.

Last edited:
I thought Shafer/Smith actually spoke on the situation with the other two recruits after last season's signing day without naming names. One recruit had work to do academically and much like other recruits that had work to do, the staff gave him a plan to get qualified and he didn't hold up his end of the bargain, so they moved on. The recruit came out and said contact went silent, but it was in some of the post-signing day interviews where Shafer eluded to this being the issue and that Syracuse didn't go radio silent. He indicated 'Cuse was straight up with the recruit and told him they didn't believe he'd make the grade.

With Lindor, the staff originally told him he'd be the ONLY TE recruited, but that when McF*ckit was the OC. When new OC Lester took over, he wanted a different style TE, so Syracuse offered a few other TE's and Lindor caught wind of it. He got pissed at the staff and decommitted saying they'd gone radio silent. However, DeAndre Smith I believe came out and discussed the situation with Lindor calling because he was upset that SU had recruited another player after promising he'd be the only one. SU told him that the new OC wanted a different type of TE, so Lindor reopened his recruitment. Once he reopened his recruitment, SU stopped pursuing him altogether (hence the radio silence). Smith apologized about the situation publicly post the signing period. Lindor ended up at Brown. So obviously he wasn't the the recruit Shafer had commented on being an academic issue.

There is always more to the story. I don't fault SU coaches in either situation as it seems they (even though they couldn't comment at the time, nor could they address the specific recruits by name) actually were in contact with the other two recruits you mention, however, the recruits didn't like what they heard or continued to not hear after SU moved on. Considering Ginnetti hasn't committed to play for another D1A program yet, I'm willing to bet that the SU staff told him they wanted to play prep ball to prove he could still be a D1A level player, but since they cannot speak on the topic, he's trying to do everything he can to get another D1A offer for this fall. Let's let this be and I'm sure the real story will emerge once all is said and done. No since to keep promoting this thread as it shines SU in a negative light, even though it's highly possible/probable that the story we're hearing has some fallacies involved.

Your first paragraph: I think that was Akeem Spence and not Gerald Robinson.

Otherwise, great post.