Class of 2015 - DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI

I wonder how many multi sport athletes would be more drawn to syracuse if we had an ACC baseball team. I'm thinking Southern and Southwestern kids...namely QBs

I'm wondering how many wrestlers would be interested if we had an ACC Wrestling team. Anyone remember Jim Nance or Gene Mills?

Jim Nance. The name sort of rings a bell... ;)

After watching his highlights, I wouldn't rule out TE for him. Kid has good hands and runs well.

Jim Nance. The name sort of rings a bell... ;)

http://wrestlingreport.com/current_news/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27801

Nance was the first African-American to win an NCAA heavyweight title and also the first to win two NCAA crowns. He accomplished this despite the demands of being the star of a big-time football program. Dick Slutzky, NCAA runner-up, teammate and life-long friend of Nance, recalled that “Ben Schwartzwalder (Syracuse head football coach) liked wrestling and let his football players participate. Also, Jim really enjoyed wrestling.”

Slutzky added that “Jim did not have many workout partners at Syracuse and would often lift weights as part of his training. Despite that he had a great engine and did not get tired. He had unique combination of speed, balance and strength.”

Nance was a very intimidating looking individual, but in reality he was a “gentle giant”. However, he was a handy guy to have around if there was trouble. While wrestling in a dual meet at Lehigh’s Grace Hall (aka “The Snake Pit”), Slutzky got into a spirited argument with several boisterous Lehigh fans. “Suddenly,” noted Slutzky, who had ventured into the stands to continue the debate, “all the Lehigh fans shut up and sat down. I was feeling pretty tough until I turned around and saw Jim standing behind me.”

Wayne Hicks, a 1965 NCAA runner-up for the Naval Academy, saw Nance in action on a number of occasions. “Bo Nance was awesome. I'll never forget when John Nichols, our heavyweight in 1965, took Nance down early in the 1st period in a dual meet at Syracuse attended by several of Nance's football buddies. They went out-of-bounds and Nance got up looking like an enraged bull — it was amazing as his nostrils flared and his whole very muscular body flexed in anger. I have never seen a big man move so fast and display so much power as he did coming out from the bottom, turning and whipping Nichols to his back and pinning him all in one continuous blur.”

Gerry Leeman, who faced Nance a number of times while coaching at Lehigh, said of him, “Jim Nance was the best wrestler I ever saw at heavyweight. He wrestled at a lower weight in high school and thus used very conventional wrestling technique. The Minnesota heavy (Kole Conrad) was outstanding, as was the Iowa State behemoth (Chris Taylor), but I’d take Nance for my outstanding wrestler.”

Ed Carlin, Nance’s coach at Syracuse, noted that he remained active in wrestling after graduating. “Jim did a lot for wrestling after his career ended. He came back to Syracuse at his expense to hand out awards at the New York state high school wrestling championships. He also spoke several times at our wrestling banquet.”

After Nance retired from football, he became involved in wrestling clinics with Slutzky. Unfortunately, Nance would suffer a series of debilitating strokes that severely curtailed his mobility and would ultimately cut short his life at the age of 49 in 1992. Of his passing, Slutzky observed that “Jim was a genuinely nice guy and a good man.” Carlin added that “it was a sad day for me personally and for all of the Syracuse community when he died at such a young age.”

A friend that has connections in Connecticut (say that 5 times fast) told me he expects him to get drafted and end up playing baseball... We'll see what happens on this one.

A friend that has connections in Connecticut (say that 5 times fast) told me he expects him to get drafted and end up playing baseball... We'll see what happens on this one.
The draft was a couple of weeks ago. I searched and did not find his name...

I thought it was strange that he decided to go Football with all the baseball press. Curious to hear about it.

I thought it was strange that he decided to go Football with all the baseball press. Curious to hear about it.

After going through the recruiting process in baseball, I don't blame him. Baseball recruiting is an absolute mess.

Plus, going to Syracuse University...probably saw a world class education paired with a rising football team of relevance. I can't blame the kid.

According to that other board, he has specifically said he is done with baseball. Not that I'm discounting bnoro, just what was said as of today.

I'm wondering how many wrestlers would be interested if we had an ACC Wrestling team. Anyone remember Jim Nance or Gene Mills?
Add Gerry Everling to that list.Wrestly is a great off season program for football players

No knowledge of the situation, but I'm sure the baseball factor scared some football schools off.

He's on record as saying he has no interest in baseball in college and his fastball only touches 90. This obviously could change in the next year, and I have no doubt he's a high D1 kid in baseball. But in order to go in the top 5-10 rounds in MLB Draft (where anyone would get bonuses worthy of skipping college) you need to be consistently in the 90s and for the top 5 rounds show you have 93-95 velocity.

Kid is obviously athletic and can project to the next level in football. I think this is the under-the-radar type of recruit we need to continue to pull in.

Just watched the Highlight tape and this guy is absolutely trucking guys on both sides of the ball and knocks down passes when he doesn't get to the QB. Played DE, TE & Goalline RB in the tape. Pure athlete, Excited to see how he progresses when focused on Football only. Welcome Brandon!

I'm not qualified to judge technique, but something I like about our recent OL recruits (Byrne, Conway, Duerig, Clausman, and Gennitti) is that they all have a similar profile: nice size, but aren't carrying around huge guts (like some of our recruits in past years), and are good athletes in other sports which require a fair amount of agility (basketball, baseball, shot put, etc.).

Sure, taking over the Syracuse Chiefs! Would be nice to have basebal, hockey, a National Championship in BB and FB...

Great. This must mean we plan to add baseball right?

yupp
As a Mexico grad, I'm required to despise you. I don't even really know if they're rivals anymore, but when I was in high school, they were.

If he wanted to purse the MLB draft, he would not have selected Syracuse. Players use the college option as leverage when negotiating with professional teams. Since Syracuse provides no leverage, I'd assume he's being truthful about his commitment to the gridiron. Glad to have him!

If he wanted to purse the MLB draft, he would not have selected Syracuse. Players use the college option as leverage when negotiating with professional teams. Since Syracuse provides no leverage, I'd assume he's being truthful about his commitment to the gridiron. Glad to have him!
This is an excellent point.

The fact of the matter is the kid is a right handed pitcher who barely scrapes 90 mph and is in a cold weather state. He isn't going to get drafted high enough in baseball to be given a substantial bonus. The fact that he isn't even looking to go a school with both a baseball and football program tells me he doesn't see any realistic possibility of a professional baseball career.

I'm not qualified to judge technique, but something I like about our recent OL recruits (Byrne, Conway, Duerig, Clausman, and Gennitti) is that they all have a similar profile: nice size, but aren't carrying around huge guts (like some of our recruits in past years), and are good athletes in other sports which require a fair amount of agility (basketball, baseball, shot put, etc.).
Ginnetti is not an OL recruit.

Adams, Byrne, Clausman, Conway, and Duerig are the 5. Your point still stands, however.