Class of 2015 - DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI

Didn't SU accept his commitment while he was injured? I think that's what point some of us are making. If you have doubts about health, grades, ability to play at the ACC, then you can't accept the commitment.

People get all over kids for changing their minds, but coaches need to honor their end as well.

No. That is not correct. He committed before he was injured. And his injury was in a pre season practice that wasn't reported until months later.

Whatever the reason, Syracuse isn't a program that can go out there alienating players, even if there is good reason to back off on taking him. Just be upfront about it, it sucks but that's better than going radio silent. The kid isn't going to forget that he has a Syracuse scholarship and go do something else.

I don't know what was or wasn't told to Ginnetti. And unfortunately because of NCAA rules about prospects, remember he redesignated to 2016, the coaches can't say anything about his recruitment.

And I'm not even sure, because he is now considered a 2016 whether he had a scholarship. He never signed an LOI.

Didn't SU accept his commitment while he was injured? I think that's what point some of us are making. If you have doubts about health, grades, ability to play at the ACC, then you can't accept the commitment.

People get all over kids for changing their minds, but coaches need to honor their end as well.

Well your point is wrong. He committed when he was healthy prior to his senior season in June 2014. He injured his foot during a pre-season practice and missed his entire senior year.

Don't have time to go back through the thread, but didn't he talk about coming in August? Maybe the coaches are still planning on him coming in January. Seems like he might be pushing August and it could just be a case of misunderstanding or miscommunication.

Does his phone not dial out?
Here are Lindor's quotes from December. Clearly they aren't above ignoring commits they don't want committed any longer.

Lindor said he hasn't heard from Syracuse since September and has reached out to his primary recruiter, Orange running backs coach DeAndre Smith, and positional contact, tight ends coach Bobby Acosta, multiple times with no response.

"I messaged them multiple times and they ignored me," Lindor said.

I want to qualify this by stating up front that I am a Shafer supporter, and I actively want to see this coaching staff succeed.

That said, feels unseemly--because it has happened two other times prior [Lindor, Dawson]. I certainly do NOT fault the coaches for having second thoughts after injuries, illnesses, etc. Their job is to build the best roster that they can. But if you aren't sure about a prospect, at least be up front with them so that they aren't swinging in the breeze. And in some cases, if you are unsure about a kid commiting, then don't allow him to commit. That is far less worse than accepting the commitment and then dropping a kid via pocket veto later on by not communicating with them for a long time.

In this case--and this is total speculation on my part--the staff is doing very well on the recruiting trail. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that given everything that's derailed Ginneti to this point, that they might want to make use of that extra scholarship in a class where we're low on scholarships [2016], but recruiting better players.

:noidea:

Here are Lindor's quotes from December. Clearly they aren't above ignoring commits they don't want committed any longer.

Lindor said he hasn't heard from Syracuse since September and has reached out to his primary recruiter, Orange running backs coach DeAndre Smith, and positional contact, tight ends coach Bobby Acosta, multiple times with no response.

"I messaged them multiple times and they ignored me," Lindor said.

So Brandon Ginetti changed his name to West Lindor? Interesting.

I want to qualify this by stating up front that I am a Shafer supporter, and I actively want to see this coaching staff succeed.

That said, feels unseemly--because it has happened two other times prior [Lindor, Dawson]. I certainly do NOT fault the coaches for having second thoughts after injuries, illnesses, etc. Their job is to build the best roster that they can. But if you aren't sure about a prospect, at least be up front with them so that they aren't swinging in the breeze. And in some cases, if you are unsure about a kid commiting, then don't allow him to commit. That is far less worse than accepting the commitment and then dropping a kid via pocket veto later on by not communicating with them for a long time.

In this case--and this is total speculation on my part--the staff is doing very well on the recruiting trail. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that given everything that's derailed Ginneti to this point, that they might want to make use of that extra scholarship in a class where we're low on scholarships [2016], but recruiting better players.

:noidea:

Both Dawson and Ginnetti verballed prior to their illness/injury. I am sure the staff was hoping that both of them would be healthy prior to their spot being filled. Unfortunately in both cases no one can predict if either will ever be able to play D1 FB at the ACC level. And since I am not privy to their conversations I can not say what was or wasn't discussed.

I think the Lindor situation was due to the issues with the OC situation.

Both Dawson and Ginnetti verballed prior to their illness/injury. I am sure the staff was hoping that both of them would be healthy prior to their spot being filled. Unfortunately in both cases no one can predict if either will ever be able to play D1 FB at the ACC level. And since I am not privy to their conversations I can not say what was or wasn't discussed.

That makes sense to me. The staff is absolutely culpable with the Lindor situation because it *probably* was due to internal strife with the staff.

Ginetti and Dawson both have unique situations and if they aren't physically capable of playing at this level then they aren't coming here. The staff doesn't have the ability to give pro bono academic scholarships to kids that never enrolled. And no staff in the country is going to enroll 1 let alone 2 kids that physically can't play currently and may never be able to play.

Understood. And I don't fault the coaching staff per se in potentially moving on from Dawson / Ginetti. The part that bothers me the most is the reported lack of communication with these prospects that leaves them hanging, with a scholarship on the line.

I'm not critical of the staff for making that hard decision; either way, feelings are going to be hurt, but making the tough call is part of what they get paid big bucks for. I just wish they'd do it with a bit more tact, if they've indeed decided to move on due to injury.

Understood. And I don't fault the coaching staff per se in potentially moving on from Dawson / Ginetti. The part that bothers me the most is the reported lack of communication with these prospects that leaves them hanging, with a scholarship on the line.

I'm not critical of the staff for making that hard decision; either way, feelings are going to be hurt, but making the tough call is part of what they get paid big bucks for. I just wish they'd do it with a bit more tact, if they've indeed decided to move on due to injury.

But the dilemma here is the NCAA. The coaches are not allowed to respond to questions regarding prospects. All we get is a one sided story. Neither you nor I know what was discussed.

But the dilemma here is the NCAA. The coaches are not allowed to respond to questions regarding prospects. All we get is a one sided story. Neither you nor I know what was discussed.

Exactly.

I don't even know how to respond to that.

Their situations are different. You can't lump them together. Lindor was probably a casualty of all the nonsense going on with McDonald. But we don't know and never will because the staff can't comment on recruits.

I agree. Seems after he was injured they should have corresponded that his scholarship was no longer promised. That he would have to show his ability again and perhaps prep. Don't know why that would have been so difficult.

Your only going on half a story. The coaches can't speak about this. Let's say for example Dawson and ginnetti both get hurt and are out a long time even longer than expected. Finally the doctors say good to go. Well good to resume activity Doesn't mean good to play d1. The coaches say to him listen we don't know if you can play but we will send you to school if you sign medically unable to play. Kid says no of course he still wants to play. So they they tell him go play prep and show us you can. Of course the kid or his coach doesn't want it out there that a coach says you can't play at this level Anymore the kid still wants to play somewhere.

And Dawson was a 2014 kid - I mean how long do you wait?

And Dawson was a 2014 kid - I mean how long do you wait?
Especially when recruiting is improving to the point that Dawson might not even be a kid the staff would consider offering as it stands now.

That's fair. BUT this isn't an isolated incident--three different recruits have indicated that the coaches have gone dark on them. That's a pattern.

And to reiterate, I am not trying to be critical of the staff for making the tough call, just for how things might be handled.

@OrangeFizz 3m3 minutes ago
Ginnetti was a hold over from the 2015 class after injuring his foot his senior season. Now he says he's totally in the dark with Syracuse.

@OrangeFizz 2m2 minutes ago
He says SU is still his top choice and ideally he'd like to enroll in January, but he hasn't heard anything from the coaches.

@OrangeFizz 59s60 seconds ago
This has shades of what happened with West Lindor. Weird situation.

@Stephen_Bailey1
Have heard the same. Kid is medically cleared, FWIW the coaches are on vacation until the end of next week.

@OrangeFizz
@Stephen_Bailey1 He said his HS coach Joe Linta talked with Shafer today and that it sounds like SU is "iffy" about him enrolling -CM
Maybe his injury isn't yet healed and the coaches don't want a wasted scholly. Their recruitment of Des have been successful so they don't want him although I do agree they should be up front with the kid.

I have absolutely no problem with Shafer moving on from Ginnetti. I felt he and Lindor were 2 guys we jumped the gun on a bit last year. I feel bad for the kid, but i'd say almost every other P5 program would have done the same thing. But this also shows we aren't above everyone else when it comes to recruiting ethics. Again, I have no problem with it, but between Ginnetti, Lindor, and asking kids to move on when they still have eligibility, it shows we are willing to get in the mud just like everyone else. It's tough for the kids, but they know this is what happens with big time College Football. I like it cause it shows me that the staff is 100% invested in winning, even if it may come with some stink.