Class of 2015 - DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE Brandon Ginnetti (CT) TO URI

He tweeted tonight something about football no longer being a game but a business, and how there's a dark cloud over him. I'm speculating like everyone else but maybe he got some news from the staff that he didn't want to hear.

Sounds like the mock conversation in my post above is pretty spot on.

He tweeted tonight something about football no longer being a game but a business, and how there's a dark cloud over him. I'm speculating like everyone else but maybe he got some news from the staff that he didn't want to hear.
Sad, but true. Stops being a game and becomes a business right around high school.

Still think it could be the kid wants to come now and the coaches are holding him off until January and he doesn't want to wait. Interesting that Perkins was in the same boat, but managed to get himself in shape in time to start in July.

Let's look at what we know, and what we don't know...

June 18, 2014: Ginnetti verbals to SU.

Oct 4, 2014: It's announced that Ginnetti will miss his Senior season due to a foot injury.

Dec 16, 2014: Ginnetti texts that he will delay his enrollment until January 2016.

Did the staff tell him that it was OK to delay his enrollment, or did he do this on his own without the staff's consent?

If he gave up his spot in the 2015 class, was he told that he would be guaranteed a spot for 2016, or was he told that he'd have to be "rerecruited"?

I guess we'll never know what he was told, and what he "heard".

Still think it could be the kid wants to come now and the coaches are holding him off until January and he doesn't want to wait. Interesting that Perkins was in the same boat, but managed to get himself in shape in time to start in July.

They are different. Perkins was going to delay his enrollment but was already far ahead in rehabbing...he has been running for months. The staff was able to evaluate him and found he was ready to play. Ginnetti was only just cleared by his doctor...but for what? To start rehabbing, practicing?

If Ginnetti said this morning on the Orange Fizz interview was true my respect for shafer took a turn downwards. The Kid might end up at Maryland or BC if Shafer doesn't start answering the phone.Will they leave the Culpeppers hanging too over an injury as Ginnetti says his doctor cleared him or will be ready by January.He might have to prep as the kid said he thought he was cleared by the staff for January.

If Ginnetti said this morning on the Orange Fizz interview was true my respect for shafer took a turn downwards. The Kid might end up at Maryland or BC if Shafer doesn't start answering the phone.Will they leave the Culpeppers hanging too over an injury as Ginnetti says his doctor cleared him or will be ready by January.He might have to prep as the kid said he thought he was cleared by the staff for January.

After listening to the full interview here is my takeaway ... SU isn't sure about his foot ... the other opps are smoke and mirrors since he is going post grad. I am willing to bet he was given the same rhetoric that Dawson was ... prove you are healthy enough to play D1 ball. His head coach says SU is "iffy", somehow I don't think anyone with a right mind would accept that as an answer and would push for more details to provide his player. They know SU can't talk about a recruit in the media so they are going to ride the media wave for now.

wfschrec said:
After listening to the full interview here is my takeaway ... SU isn't sure about his foot ... the other opps are smoke and mirrors since he is going post grad. I am willing to bet he was given the same rhetoric that Dawson was ... prove you are healthy enough to play D1 ball. His head coach says SU is "iffy", somehow I don't think anyone with a right mind would accept that as an answer and would push for more details to provide his player. They know SU can't talk about a recruit in the media so they are going to ride the media wave for now.

Yep. It's about all the leverage they have at their disposal.

If SU is "iffy", what are the chances schools like Maryland and BC are all in on taking him? Yep, slim...why would they be all in on a young man that everyone thought was a stretch for us as well as being injured.

If SU is "iffy", what are the chances schools like Maryland and BC are all in on taking him? Yep, slim...why would they be all in on a young man that everyone thought was a stretch for us as well as being injured.
Don't know,but those were the words that came out of his mouth along with Buffalo.

Don't know,but those were the words that came out of his mouth along with Buffalo.

No doubt but I was recruited by Alabama ... see words right out of my mouth ... doesn't make them valid or true. Do you honestly think he would be going post grad if he could just jump on with BC or MD ... he is gung ho to get to SU because the others aren't biting. If they were then it would be a case of ... "he gone"

Just listened to the interview after reading about it above. My issue with how our coaches have handled this situation is that they just won't give him a straight answer. I have ZERO problem with them making a "tough" decision and telling Ginnetti that they don't want him to come anymore. But not giving a straight answer / not returning his calls or responding to his inquiries -- this could and should have been handled better.

Just listened to the interview after reading about it above. My issue with how our coaches have handled this situation is that they just won't give him a straight answer. I have ZERO problem with them making a "tough" decision and telling Ginnetti that they don't want him to come anymore. But not giving a straight answer / not returning his calls or responding to his inquiries -- this could and should have been handled better.

So, let me get this straight...based on what the kid is saying, you have an issue with how the coaches handled the situation...knowing full well that the coaches can't defend themselves. Gotcha, makes perfect sense. What were you expecting only hearing from one side that is unhappy with his current situation?

beating-a-dead-horse.jpg

So, let me get this straight...based on what the kid is saying, you have an issue with how the coaches handled the situation...knowing full well that the coaches can't defend themselves. Gotcha, makes perfect sense. What were you expecting only hearing from one side that is unhappy with his current situation?

It isn't just based on what the kid is saying. It also isn't the first / only time this has happened.

Just cut bait and tell the kid. That's all it would take. Letting a kid swing in the breeze with a college scholarship on the line is wrong--sorry, but it is.

And re-read my post--I don't have a problem with the coaching staff not taking Ginetti, making him go prep to prove he's healthy, etc.

Ya i'm not buying Maryland and BC are viable options RIGHT NOW. Those just happened to be the schools interested when he committed to Syracuse. I'd be surprised if he had any big time options right now.

Ya i'm not buying Maryland and BC are viable options RIGHT NOW. Those just happened to be the schools interested when he committed to Syracuse. I'd be surprised if he had any big time options right now.

If he doesn't mind leaving the northeast, I'd look into Kansas with them only having 64 scholarship players right now after the coaching change.

If he doesn't mind leaving the northeast, I'd look into Kansas with them only having 64 scholarship players right now after the coaching change.

Remember Kyron Watson? Wonder what he thinks right now? I know we weren't that great last season either, but Kansas is a lost cause.

Remember Kyron Watson? Wonder what he thinks right now? I know we weren't that great last season either, but Kansas is a lost cause.

No argument at all they are bad. I live in Kansas so I see it up close. But technically it is D 1 football which is a better position than he is right now, if in fact we have moved on.

It isn't just based on what the kid is saying. It also isn't the first / only time this has happened.

Just cut bait and tell the kid. That's all it would take. Letting a kid swing in the breeze with a college scholarship on the line is wrong--sorry, but it is.

And re-read my post--I don't have a problem with the coaching staff not taking Ginetti, making him go prep to prove he's healthy, etc.

If it isn't just based on what the kid is saying, who else was talking in the interview?

What advantage is gained by the coaching staff if they just cut bait? That would eliminate themselves from future consideration if they were still interested and put everyone else in the driver seat. Makes no sense to do.

Im sorry. Im always going to give the coaches the benefit of the doubt. They cant comment on a unsigned player. Im around kids who lie or enhance stories every day. Im not defending the coaches. There not perfect and Im sure they mis handled situations before but Im just not buying this kid's story. I wish the kid the best of look. Maybe he will get here some day.

If it isn't just based on what the kid is saying, who else was talking in the interview?

What advantage is gained by the coaching staff if they just cut bait? That would eliminate themselves from future consideration if they were still interested and put everyone else in the driver seat. Makes no sense to do.

The coaching staff going completely dark with communication has occurred two other times with two other former commits. This isn't just a one off thing; three times is a pattern of conduct that I believe deserves criticism.

Again, nobody is complaining about the staff moving on / rescinding an offer. I'd much rather land Colon or some other more highly rated DL prospect than Ginnetti.

In terms of what advantage would be gained, give me a break. If they wanted Ginnetti, they could have Ginnetti. But letting a kid dangle with his future on the line is BS--especially when the kid had previously committed, was part of the "family," and is facing having a $250K scholarship taken away. I want to be clear--I have ZERO problem with the staff moving on and freeing up the scholarship to land a better prospect. Just tell the kid so that he can maximize his opportunity to get a scholarship somewhere else instead of stringing him along. I seriously doubt at this point that Ginnetti is in the coaching staffs' plans, so there is no "driver's seat" issue to worry about.

Last edited:
The coaching staff going completely dark with communication has occurred two other times with two other former commits. This isn't just a one off thing; three times is a pattern of conduct that I believe deserves criticism.

Again, nobody is complaining about the staff moving on / rescinding an offer. I'd much rather land Colon or some other more highly rated DL prospect than Ginnetti.

In terms of what advantage would be gained, give me a break. If they wanted Ginnetti, they could have Ginnetti. But letting a kid dangle with his future on the line is BS--especially when the kid had previously committed, was part of the "family," and is facing having a $250K scholarship taken away. I want to be clear--I have ZERO problem with the staff moving on and freeing up the scholarship to land a better prospect. Just tell the kid so that he can maximize his opportunity to get a scholarship somewhere else instead of stringing him along. I seriously doubt at this point that Ginnetti is in the coaching staffs' plans, so there is no "driver's seat" issue to worry about.
That was just information from the recruits, the Staff has kept quiet about whether they contacted the recruits, which doesn't embarrass either side.

According to the commits in one sided articles that the staff can't comment on. If you want to take that as gospel, then that's your prerogative.