Class of 2016 - DE Gabe Sherrod (MD) Decommits from Syracuse Commits to Michigan St. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DE Gabe Sherrod (MD) Decommits from Syracuse Commits to Michigan St.

Currently or all time?
NFL HoF?
Brand/Marketing appeal?
TV numbers?
Revenue?
Heisman winners?
National Championships?

Obviously if you look at current (last 4-5 years) we're outside of the top 40. But if you were buying stock and included all of the info, numbers, history, conference, location - wouldn't you take Syracuse over Northwestern, Rutgers, Iowa State, Minnesota, etc?
9 College HOF,8Pro HOF,2 Canadian HOF Bowls http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/database/syracuse_database.htm
add 2013 Minnesota Win and Syracuse is not in the top 40 Schools :rolling:

I love SU football, but we are in a dismal state. There were points over the past 15 years where you could have made the argument we were the worst team in all of D1 football. We've fought back to being mediocre at best. It seems, on paper, that we have everything to take the step to being a top 40 team again. Time will tell but I would say the needle is trending up.

JrodCuse said:
I love SU football, but we are in a dismal state. There were points over the past 15 years where you could have made the argument we were the worst team in all of D1 football. We've fought back to being mediocre at best. It seems, on paper, that we have everything to take the step to being a top 40 team again. Time will tell but I would say the needle is trending up.

I'm not arguing that we've been top 40 on the field - just that if you add up everything there's a debate to be had about being a top 40 program.

Currently or all time?
NFL HoF?
Brand/Marketing appeal?
TV numbers?
Revenue?
Heisman winners?
National Championships?

Obviously if you look at current (last 4-5 years) we're outside of the top 40. But if you were buying stock and included all of the info, numbers, history, conference, location - wouldn't you take Syracuse over Northwestern, Rutgers, Iowa State, Minnesota, etc?
We haven't won 10 games in how long? And you're expecting a 22 year old kid to see us as a "big time school"?

We have a ton of tradition. We were a big time school in the 80's/90's. But Sherrod was born in 93/94, so since he could remember watching Syracuse football (probably 2003/4 onwards) we've been a terrible program.

No reason to start a debate on the board. Literally no reason. This is our current place in the food chain.

Currently or all time?
NFL HoF?
Brand/Marketing appeal?
TV numbers?
Revenue?
Heisman winners?
National Championships?

And as a die hard Syracuse fan you are well aware of those accomplishments. I do not disagree that we are possibly top 40 or whatever all time programs. But what does that have to do with 18 year olds or in this case someone in their lower 20's? There are def some in the younger generation that appreciate history and the value of teams with historical significance...but in my opinion...unless that kid grew up a fan...its just not going to matter that much.

Kids (for the most part) want to A...Win and B...Make it to the next level. And getting themselves in the right place to do that. So while history is great...they want to win now...not win in 2001...or the last time we had 10 or more wins.

I'm not arguing that we've been top 40 on the field - just that if you add up everything there's a debate to be had about being a top 40 program.

To someone who bleeds Orange, yes no doubt, I'd say over the history of the sport we're a top 25 team despite the recent hiccups. But to someone who is 20 years old or so, we are a bottom of the barrel program. You really can't argue that in any way shape or form.

To someone who bleeds Orange, yes no doubt, I'd say over the history of the sport we're a top 25 team despite the recent hiccups. But to someone who is 20 years old or so, we are a bottom of the barrel program. You really can't argue that in any way shape or form.
So the problem is that the current yutes lack information and perspective? Otherwise why wouldn't their perspective be correct?

When I was a young Manager for a National organization I sent an email to a former employee about how a colleague needed more staff to help her. IT read the email and took to HR where I had to answer questions. My innocent email of support for a friend was turned into me "saying HR doesn't know how to do their job". What is said and how it is interpreted can lead to many "miscommunications".

I would give him the benefit of the doubt.
I put weird stuff in work emails from time to time just to see how much they're looking.

bnoro said:
We haven't won 10 games in how long? And you're expecting a 22 year old kid to see us as a "big time school"? We have a ton of tradition. We were a big time school in the 80's/90's. But Sherrod was born in 93/94, so since he could remember watching Syracuse football (probably 2003/4 onwards) we've been a terrible program. No reason to start a debate on the board. Literally no reason. This is our current place in the food chain.

I'm with you a 100% on where he sees us. That's out spot based on the on-field results over the past 10 years (or longer).

But that's not what I responded to. I was responding to their "being no debate" on whether we are a top 40 program. And clearly, depending on what you're looking at - it is very much debatable.

So - to recap - no denying his take as us not being a "big time program". But plenty of debate on being a top 40 program.

(Also - aren't all D1 schools in the P5 big time compared to where he has been playing?!?)

I put weird stuff in work emails from time to time just to see how much they're looking.
Haha. That joy has been taken away from me from the experience I described.

At least they didn't say anything when I typed in the wrong URL for Sporting Goods.

GoCuse14 said:
And as a die hard Syracuse fan you are well aware of those accomplishments. I do not disagree that we are possibly top 40 or whatever all time programs. But what does that have to do with 18 year olds or in this case someone in their lower 20's? There are def some in the younger generation that appreciate history and the value of teams with historical significance...but in my opinion...unless that kid grew up a fan...its just not going to matter that much. Kids (for the most part) want to A...Win and B...Make it to the next level. And getting themselves in the right place to do that. So while history is great...they want to win now...not win in 2001...or the last time we had 10 or more wins.

I've made this same argument 2-3 times on this board. So I agree.

We are not "big time" to most recruits. But we should be based on our history - we've underperformed over the past 10 years. It's up to Babers to get us there.

I think we are lucky to have him, and he is doing us a favor coming here.:noidea:

I mean, we have one returning scholarship defensive end. And he hasn't even seen the field yet.
u r now desperate

no one adds up anything!!!!! its all about what have you done for me lately. if we looked at the stock market, we are not a blue chip ---more of a speculative stock. i think babers raises that stock---at the same time if marrone stayed, i would have bet on him!!that is why i work part time in my retirement:(

verbosedutch ‏@verbosedutch May 5
Rumor is Kevin Williams (Neb) and Gabe Sherrod (Delaware St) visited MSU football. Not sure if MSU has spots, but they'd be great grad adds

@Stephen_Bailey1 @ccarlsononSU Gabe Sherrod supposedly visited MSU. MSU may not have a scholarship spot, but it seems Sherrod still open?

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 May 5
@verbosedutch @ccarlsononSU Recently? He was considering another unnamed school before committing but they only offered him a partial.

@Stephen_Bailey1 @ccarlsononSU Last weekend? Sherrod is now following Matt Mueller, MSU Dir of Recruiting & MSU Official Recruiting account

:noidea:

Rumor is Kevin Williams (Neb) and Gabe Sherrod (Delaware St) visited MSU football. Not sure if MSU has spots, but they'd be great grad adds

@Stephen_Bailey1 @ccarlsononSU Gabe Sherrod supposedly visited MSU. MSU may not have a scholarship spot, but it seems Sherrod still open?

Stephen Bailey ‏@Stephen_Bailey1 May 5
@verbosedutch @ccarlsononSU Recently? He was considering another unnamed school before committing but they only offered him a partial.

@Stephen_Bailey1 @ccarlsononSU Last weekend? Sherrod is now following Matt Mueller, MSU Dir of Recruiting & MSU Official Recruiting account

:noidea:

This would be a disastrous loss, given our state of affairs at DE. Hope we hang onto Sherrod.

This would be a disastrous loss, given our state of affairs at DE. Hope we hang onto Sherrod.

LOL WHAT!? No way... Go to an ACC school that you are LOCK to start or try and walk on to a team where you'll be a back up? Sherrod didn't sign any letter of intent? It seems awfully late in the process...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom