Class of 2016 - DE Gabe Sherrod (MD) Decommits from Syracuse Commits to Michigan St. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 DE Gabe Sherrod (MD) Decommits from Syracuse Commits to Michigan St.

Dismissing Sheppard and Ealey and not letting Naes back and bringing this guy in? Seems counter to the AD message.

if Ealey and Sheppard failed multiple drug tests then there may have been no choice but to dismiss them. Naes quit the team.

I'm not comfortable with Mr. Sharrod's explanation of events. I'm all for giving a person a second chance, but Mr. Sharrod does not appear to be totally forthcoming. If he had little to do with the thefts then why did he plead guilty? Second, he was sent to jail after arrest while two of the others were released on their own recognizance. Doesn't sound like the court viewed his account of minimal involvement. Third, he got probation and then violated it. "Hey coach, I'm gonna miss practice. Hafta report in." Maybe Ogdensburg Cuse can keep an eye on him.

Last edited:
if Ealey and Sheppard failed multiple drug tests then there may have been no choice but to dismiss them. Naes quit the team.

You may be right there was no choice on our DEs. I was just highlighting that the message appears to be "don't break the rules" (Shep and Ealey) and "no distractions" (Naes). We can bring him in, but Sherrod has broken the rules and could also be a distraction (probation, questions and media articles). It was more of an observation. :noidea:

I'm not comfortable with Mr. Sharrod's explanation of events. I'm all for giving a person a second chance, but Mr. Sharrod does not appear to be totally forthcoming. If he had little to do with the thefts then why did he plead guilty? Second, he was sent to jail after arrest while two of the others were released on their own recognizance. Doesn't sound like the court viewed his account of minimal involvement. Third, he got probation and then violated it. "Hey coach, I'm gonna miss practice. Hafta report in." Maybe Ogdensburg Cuse can keep an eye on him.
1) at times, people plea guilty to things they didn't do. It happens more than you would like to think, especially in low level, non violent type crimes
2) there are many, many elements that go into bail. The determination of bail isn't just "how guilty does the court think this guy is". Bail is meant to ensure someone will appear at subsequent hearings and not flee the jurisdiction. You simply cannot draw accurate inferences of guilty from an individual's bail.

I don't know this kid or his case and am not commenting in any way on the particulars. Syracuse will either take him, or they won't, and i'll be fine either way. I'm just pointing out the flaws in some of your assumptions.

1) at times, people plea guilty to things they didn't do. It happens more than you would like to think, especially in low level, non violent type crimes
2) there are many, many elements that go into bail. The determination of bail isn't just "how guilty does the court think this guy is". Bail is meant to ensure someone will appear at subsequent hearings and not flee the jurisdiction. You simply cannot draw accurate inferences of guilty from an individual's bail.

I don't know this kid or his case and am not commenting in any way on the particulars. Syracuse will either take him, or they won't, and i'll be fine either way. I'm just pointing out the flaws in some of your assumptions.
I couldn't figure out how to write this out but eloquently stated. If we did a background check and it checked out I'm fine with taking this kid.

I still think he is being less than candid

I don't have an issue with the pleading guilty thing necessarily because you are right, people do plead guilty sometimes just to get things over with. They can't prove they are innocent and they know it. Him simply being in the car with the others, regardless of what he did, would make it very difficult for him to prove that he was innocent to a jury.

I have a bigger issue with the bail setting. I have to agree that setting bail on him and releasing two others charged with the same crime on their own recognizance doesn't really jive with his version of events. Even during a police investigation, the police are going to get a good feel for who were the real drivers behind a crime and who were the accessories. He claims he wasn't even an accessory - again that just doesn't jive to me.

In my experience if jail time is off the table clients are more willingly to make deals. Now I doubt the actual innocent would but I guess some would.

This guy though got a suspended sentence and probation. That tells he was involved one way or the other and that he may not have been the leader but he was involved. If he does anything that violates his probation he would go to jail for 1 year.

I think if we vet the situation and he is okay with the school we should take him if he can play.

In my experience if jail time is off the table clients are more willingly to make deals. Now I doubt the actual innocent would but I guess some would.

This guy though got a suspended sentence and probation. That tells he was involved one way or the other and that he may not have been the leader but he was involved. If he does anything that violates his probation he would go to jail for 1 year.

I think if we vet the situation and he is okay with the school we should take him if he can play.

I'm on board with taking him if the situation is vetted too, but I also agree that I feel he's not being completely honest about his involvement.

Apparently he didn't get kicked out of school over the incident, so the school didn't view it as a dismissal incident, so maybe the courts got it wrong. It wouldn't be the first case of overzealous prosecution, by a DA trying to make a name for himself as tough on crime.

Roger Needham said:

I'd expect the athletic department to do a full vetting. More info, hearing from the kid himself, etc. is roughly a billion times more helpful than media reports and tweets.

Apparently he didn't get kicked out of school over the incident, so the school didn't view it as a dismissal incident, so maybe the courts got it wrong. It wouldn't be the first case of overzealous prosecution, by a DA trying to make a name for himself as tough on crime.

Yea like Dent, Harvey. That didn't end up too well for him!

If we do a background check and our athletic department is fine with the results then fine by me.

They have probably already vetted him or they wouldn't be bringing him in for a visit. Now it is a matter of meeting with him face to face so a decision can be made. He isn't the only prospect they are following... there are multiple JUCOs. Plus the coaches aren't newbies. They deal with players with issues all the time.

In reading the article looks like the kid made a mistake was involved but not as much as one would believe if you can believe him. Also they dont just had our Mechanical E degrees so the kid has to have something going for him. Pulling for him as it looks like he has had a struggle getting to this point.

I'm not sure schools have always shown to be the best guide for the guilt or innocence of FB players. That's even assuming they don't try sweeping the incidents under the rug.

IMO, If HCDB and staff offer I think e should give them a chance and embrace him as we would any player. If all of us were held accountable for the mistakes we made when we were college aged; very few of us would come out looking great. This saff is new to us but not new to college coaching. Let's take a breath and wait and see how this plays out.

IMO, If HCDB and staff offer I think e should give them a chance and embrace him as we would any player. If all of us were held accountable for the mistakes we made when we were college aged; very few of us would come out looking great. This saff is new to us but not new to college coaching. Let's take a breath and wait and see how this plays out.
It will be interesting to see if Chancellor S. allows the FB coach one or two reaches (academically or character wise)?

I don't remember stealing from my classmates and then breaking my probation. Do you?

It will be interesting to see if Chancellor S. allows the FB coach one or two reaches (academically or character wise)?
Yes it will though Coach Babers is an experienced coach; if he was a coordinator prior to accepting this position, I would understand the hesitancy. However, will his Head Coaching experience I am hopeful that he will cut him some slack in selecting his own recruits; only time will tell.

I don't remember stealing from my classmates and then breaking my probation. Do you?
No I don't, however, I didn't grow up with the same circumstances that I suspect he did. Plus, his current school did not remove him and he is getting an undergraduate degree in Engineering which implies that he is a good student. My point is that people deserve a 2nd chance. Let's give HCDB and staff the opportunity to vet him and see what they decide.

A
Actually, they stole from students at the University of Delaware.

So whats the deal here? Who is our competition? Looks like the balls in his court.

I suspect if many of us were judged, in a vacuum, on a youthful indiscretion, then we would not be where we are today. I think that property crimes should be viewed through the prism of time much more leniently than violence, particularly pre-meditated violence.

Roger Needham said:
A Actually, they stole from students at the University of Delaware.

So did Cam Newton. So did AJ Price. Both when they were freshman just like this kid. Both also were given a second chance and went on to be leaders on championship teams.

I'm all for 2nd chances on HS kids, and kids in their first year or 2 of college. You do a lot of stupid things when you're that age. You just have to pay the price, which this kid did, and hope he improved himself. It would be ridiculous not to give a 2nd chance.

Again, this is exactly the reason I was upset we let Clark go. I know the circumstances, and while not pretty, changes could have easily been made. Now an elite talent plays for our conference rival.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom