Class of 2017 - DE Kingsley Jonathan (NC) COMMITTED & SIGNED to SYRACUSE | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 DE Kingsley Jonathan (NC) COMMITTED & SIGNED to SYRACUSE

the coaches aren't playing roulette here. they'll have a pretty good idea how close or far he is from qualifying. If they don't think there's a chance I'm sure they'll over recruit and sort it out later. If he's close but not quite he's perfect to stash at Milford and I'm glad our new coaching staff is rubbing shoulders with Chaplik.

I don't know what the time frame is for running this type of situation past the NCAA but if possible don't you think the coaches are already submitting his info from Nigeria. It's not like Syracuse doesn't have other athletes from foreign countries on athletic scholarship.

Ugh. Just what I didn't want to hear. The NCAA clearinghouse hates Syracuse. Can we recruit kids that we KNOW will qualify? Whos cares if you make a "splash" in recruiting if you never have a body on the field? In other words, I'll take a 2 star that contributes on special teams over a 4 star that goes JUCO and never makes it to Syracuse. Come on Jordan Wright!!

I hear you based on our recent past with KJ Williams, Alin Edouard, Marquise Blair, Andrey Baskin etc. I do think though that in order to be successful, we will always have to take a flyer on 1 or 2 kids like this a year that are legit top 250 players if they had the grades and see where the ball bounces. The difference in the recent past was there was always a significant dropoff in our recruiting classes between the blue chip grade issue kids that we took flyers on and the next layer of kids that were going to qualify. I think in the 2017 class, we already have 3 kids beyond Kingsley that are right on his level that are full qualifiers, Fagan, Devito and Palmer. That's the difference if you ask me. I want this staff and future staffs to continue to take a few fliers because it will pay off sooner or later and we'll get a kid that we would have had to endure a very difficult recruiting battle for or would have had no shot at.

Last edited:
I don't know what the time frame is for running this type of situation past the NCAA but if possible don't you think the coaches are already submitting his info from Nigeria. It's not like Syracuse doesn't have other athletes from foreign countries on athletic scholarship.

They may already be expecting him to Prep - who knows at this point. He's part of the 2017 class if he can qualify but maybe he can just as easily slide to 2018 based on their planning for the classes. We are VERY young at DE right now, and Josh Black is developing into a solid starter now as a true Frosh, so I don't think there's a huge rush to get him into the 2017 class.

I hear you based on our recent past with KJ Williams, Alin Edouard, Marquise Blair, Andrey Baskin etc. I do think though that in order to be successful, we will always have to take a flyer on 1 or 2 kids like this a year that are legit top 250 players if they had the grades and see where the ball bounces. The difference in the recent past was there was always a significant dropoff in our recruiting classes between the blue chip grade issue kids that we took flyers on and the next layer of kids that were going to qualify. I think in the 2017 class, we already have 3 kids beyond Kingsley that are right on his level that are full qualifiers, Fagan, Devito and Palmer. That's the difference if you ask me. I want this staff and future staffs to continue to take a few fliers because it will pay off sooner or later and we'll get a kid that we would have had to endure a very difficult recruiting battle for or would have had no shot at.
I agree with you, and as to the bolded, isn't Jonathan Thomas an excellent example? He was enough of a qualification risk that Oklahoma, Georgia, Miami, and others backed off. Syracuse took a chance and he came through with a qualifying SAT score post signing day. Had Thomas had his qualification in order and not in doubt, it is extremely unlikely he would have landed at Syracuse.

I think at best he is a semester at Milford or somewhere, which would be great as like many have said, we are very young at DE. This kid probably worth the shot though looks like he could be a monster... Im still not holding my breath but see the reason for it.

I think at best he is a semester at Milford or somewhere, which would be great as like many have said, we are very young at DE. This kid probably worth the shot though looks like he could be a monster... Im still not holding my breath but see the reason for it.

That would be ideal, IMO. If he can somehow qualify coming out of high school [and avoid that needing to go to JUCO over core classwork hangup], he could go to Milford for a semester, take a bunch of coursework that would push him far over the line, and then easily be eligible. He wouldn't get poached from Milford, based upon the restrictions they put on committed recruits, and he'd be just down the road.

He comes in January, counts against the previous year's scholarship numbers, and gets to participate in spring ball while getting on stable footing academically.

Meanwhile, his scholarship in the class of 2017 could be used to fill another hole.

That would be ideal, IMO. If he can somehow qualify coming out of high school [and avoid that needing to go to JUCO over core classwork hangup], he could go to Milford for a semester, take a bunch of coursework that would push him far over the line, and then easily be eligible. He wouldn't get poached from Milford, based upon the restrictions they put on committed recruits, and he'd be just down the road.

He comes in January, counts against the previous year's scholarship numbers, and gets to participate in spring ball while getting on stable footing academically.

Meanwhile, his scholarship in the class of 2017 could be used to fill another hole.

Yep agree 100%, kid looks like a freak athletically, just RAW. Will probably need the time anyway

I agree with you, and as to the bolded, isn't Jonathan Thomas an excellent example? He was enough of a qualification risk that Oklahoma, Georgia, Miami, and others backed off. Syracuse took a chance and he came through with a qualifying SAT score post signing day. Had Thomas had his qualification in order and not in doubt, it is extremely unlikely he would have landed at Syracuse.

He wouldn't have been at Syracuse if he wasn't an academic risk so he is a good example. I don't know if prospect wise he was as high graded as Kingsley, but he is definitely a kid that we probably wouldn't have plucked from the South had he had the proper grades. I know there was another recruit that fit in that boat recently as well, want to say it was Strickland but not sure.

He wouldn't have been at Syracuse if he wasn't an academic risk so he is a good example. I don't know if prospect wise he was as high graded as Kingsley, but he is definitely a kid that we probably wouldn't have plucked from the South had he had the proper grades. I know there was another recruit that fit in that boat recently as well, want to say it was Strickland but not sure.
I'm not sure about Strickland but I know there were huge concerns regarding Estime meeting admission standards. He turned into a great student.

I'm not sure about Strickland but I know there were huge concerns regarding Estime meeting admission standards. He turned into a great student.

I remember that now too.

Who knows, he might even qualify for the new academic redshirt rule.

I love Thomas but i gather, the big boys were recruiting him as a strong safety. He has the speed and perfect size for a big boy p5 safety and nfl talent.

I love Thomas but i gather, the big boys were recruiting him as a strong safety. He has the speed and perfect size for a big boy p5 safety and nfl talent.

If the NFL wanted safeties that couldn't cover then I agree.

If the NFL wanted safeties that couldn't cover then I agree.

He has the size of a safety, not a college lb. I love the kid, but the big boys dont have 6 foot 200# lbs.

Three new teams enter "The Other 25" national rankings - High School Football America

St. Joseph Regional
(Montvale, New Jersey) strengthen its spot at the top of the bubble in High School Football America’s The Other 25. The Green Knights beat former #32 Paramus Catholic (New Jersey) 31-21 on Saturday, which keeps them at #26 in the latest Top 50 rankings that are based on our proprietary algorithm. Paramus Catholic dropped two spots to #34.

The biggest climber this week is St. Frances Academy (Maryland), which climbs twelve spots after its big win over Archbishop Spalding (Maryland). The Panthers will have a chance to improve that ranking over the next two weeks with regular season games against Mount St. Joseph (7-2) next week and #2 IMG Academy (Florida) on November 11th.

Varsity Letters blog - Baltimore Sun

“This is good for kids like us coming up in the city,” Thomas said, “and also kids coming from different places. This was our dream when we came to St. Frances. Nobody thought we could win the MIAA championship. Having so many players go on to play college football means a lot to us and the school and the coaches and our families."

In addition to Thomas, Swann, Robinson and All-Metro tight end Wright who is headed to Towson; All-Metro running back Gary Brightwell has committed to Temple; defensive tackle B'Ahmad Miller to Maryland; defensive end Kinglsey Jonathan to Syracuse; defensive back Caleb John to Army West Point; linebacker Tariq Coley to Morgan State; and defensive lineman Jamehl Wiley to Delaware.

This is, by far, the largest number of football players in one class to commit to play college football from St. Frances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom