Class of 2015 - DE Keivonnis Davis (FL) Verballed to Florida | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 DE Keivonnis Davis (FL) Verballed to Florida

Another thing, this looks like a solid pick up, I just hope it doesn't effect someone like Sheppard, who we have been on since Spring. I know some of our coaches have different philosophies on taking commitments from kids, mostly having to do with visiting before committing. I just hope this doesn't effect anyone else, and is another good reason why Shafer should have a standard policy for all recruiting strategies.

If he’s better than Sheppard then who cares. BUT

There is room for Sheppard. Go look at the End depth and the class yr. We only have 4 on the roster, Ron Thompson and Donnie Simmons will be seniors, then IJohnson a junior. We easily need 3 or 4 defensive ends this class.

Giudice, Levine, Davis and Sheppard ...bam

This young man looks like a good pickup. Not only does he have decent speed and athletic ability; his body looks like it will be able to bulk up without loss of speed.
On the aspect of Coach McDonald; sure he didn't handle the demotion well, initially, this could signal that he has turned things around and is committed to making a go hear as WR coach. Between now and signing day we can certainly use a committed Coach McDonald to shore up this class.

Man - this commit is going to break a lot of pet preconceptions about McDonald.

Not trying to be negative about the commitment. I think it's a very solid grab, but I don't see how it would change any of the preconceptions?

I know this is going to be unpopular, but it wouldn't bother me if George McDonald somehow worked things out and remained as the WR coach. He seemed to do a good job in that role after being demoted from OC, and I still believe that he is an impact recruiter who can help upgrade the talent base.

Its probably not realistic to expect him to stay, but it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if he somehow did in my opinion. We could use the recruiting shot in the arm.

It's amazing what can happen if you remain patient and let time run its course.

There is room for Sheppard. Go look at the End depth and the class yr. We only have 4 on the roster, Ron Thompson and Donnie Simmons will be seniors, then IJohnson a junior. We easily need 3 or 4 defensive ends this class.

Well for starters we have been on Sheppard for over 8 months, and have been on this kid for a little over a week. You would assume we are far more familiar with the latter. As for who's better, i'd don't see how anyone can say either one is definitely better then the other. If anything, Sheppard is higher rated across the board.

I will say again, this is a solid pick up, and happy to have him part of the program. I just hope none of the guys, especially Sheppard who we have been working for a while get left out now.

Well for starters we have been on Sheppard for over 8 months, and have been on this kid for a little over a week. You would assume we are far more familiar with the latter. As for who's better, i'd don't see how anyone can say either one is definitely better then the other. If anything, Sheppard is higher rated across the board.

I will say again, this is a solid pick up, and happy to have him part of the program. I just hope none of the guys, especially Sheppard who we have been working for a while get left out now.

Well, if there is one positive aspect of the decommits / attrition losses we've had, it is that we've opened up space in the class of 2015. Whereas a few months ago it looked like we were done and only had a select few scholarships available, the way circumstances have unfolded gives us a lot more flexibility in terms of adding to this class.

Here's hoping Sheppard is amongst the next "gets."

Isn't Guidice a DT? Also think Johnson becomes a DT? We are so thin there... I agree though, regardless there is room for Sheppard and probably one more DT... The new kid Clark, Milan, Annan, etc.

Not trying to be negative about the commitment. I think it's a very solid grab, but I don't see how it would change any of the preconceptions?
If McDonald were a "cancer", I don't think you'd see this commit.

Why after 8 months of working on Sheppard has he not committed? There has to be a reason there right? How long do they wait on someone like that?

Don't forget about Chris Slayton.

If McDonald were a "cancer", I don't think you'd see this commit.

I never said McDonald is a cancer, and think he is doing a great job after a difficult situation (which sounds more and more like McDonald got a raw deal). I'm all for McDonald sticking around as the WR coach, and like I said above, it sounds like there is a pretty decent chance of that happening. George is good for the program. We need a charismatic guy that can give the coaching staff some stability The only thing I have been saying about McDonald is that I thought he has been bit over rated as a recruiter during his time here.

Why after 8 months of working on Sheppard has he not committed? There has to be a reason there right? How long do they wait on someone like that?

Could be a lot of reasons. A lot of kids just make a plan that they want to wait and take their official visits. For a lot of kids this a great chance to get 5 free trips and visit places that be otherwise impossible to do. Plus we cooled off on him for a while. Hopefully we can get both.

I have nothing against this kid, I just get a bit skeptical after committing a week after contact is made.

I never said McDonald is a cancer, and think he is doing a great job after a difficult situation (which sounds more and more like McDonald got a raw deal). I'm all for McDonald sticking around as the WR coach, and like I said above, it sounds like there is a pretty decent chance of that happening. George is good for the program. We need a charismatic guy that can give the coaching staff some stability The only thing I have been saying about McDonald is that I thought he has been bit over rated as a recruiter during his time here.

Ano, what besides this commit makes you think George may be sticking around? Just curious?

BgDK_KaIAAAsiEd.jpg:large

Free Article...Scowt

Syracuse received some good recruiting news on Thursday as they landed 2015 three-star Miami (Fla.) Central defensive end Keivonnis Davis. The Orange’s ability to land the talented prospect was due in large part to the efforts of wide receivers coach George McDonald, who continues to be a strong force on the recruiting trail.
”George McDonald, the wide receivers coach, does a great job with recruiting kids from South Florida,” Miami Central head coach Roland Smith said. “Keivonnis has a great relationship with coach McDonald. He (Davis) likes that he has the opportunity to play and start right away as a freshman. He likes the small college atmosphere with the small class sizes. He’s just very excited about being an Orange.”
While Davis has had other power five offers, Syracuse had not started recruiting him until recently. After reviewing his tape and speaking with coach Smith, an offer came earlier this week, taking full advantage of the time off with a bye.
”George saw him and thought he would be a great asset and offered the kid,” Smith said. “He showed him to the d-line coach and he loved him. Then George came down and he called the d-line coach and committed.”
The Miami Central standout started researching Syracuse shortly after they offered and was impressed by what he discovered.
”Ever since they started recruiting me I was checking in with the website and getting excited about them,” Davis said. “They have a lot of academics as well in addition to sports. They have a lot of fields I may look into after my four years whether or not I go to the pros.”
His relationship with coach McDonald developed over only a few days, but was one that become strong almost instantly.
”It was a big factor,” Davis said. “It played a big role. It made me even more excited than I was. Knowing that he’s going to take me in. Just talking about the relationship he had with some of the other guys because he came from Miami. The bond we had right away was priceless.”
Despite not having visited the Syracuse campus yet, Davis’ conversations with coach McDonald made him feel comfortable with the program.
”Syracuse has kids that went to Miami Central,” Smith said. “Coach McDonald told him about how successful they were up there and that was important.”
Coach Smith has nothing but high praise for Davis, who he believes is only scratching the surface of his potential.
”He is a very long, athletic kid,” Smith said. “He’s real rangy. He has to put on weight up to 255 pounds. He can do that easily with his frame. He’s about 230 now. Has the potential to be a very good defensive end in the ACC.”
Davis chose Syracuse over offers from West Virginia, South Florida, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. He is the third defensive end in Syracuse's 2015 class, joining Brandon Ginnetti and Dana Levine.
Now Davis is looking forward to his career at Syracuse and believes the combination of athletics and academics will give him a strong launching point for any career path he chooses.
”My expectations are real high. I want to go in and be on top of my game with my classwork. I want to come in and contribute right away. I know they were in the Big East and now are in the ACC. Now they’re playing tougher teams, so it could be a big pedestal for me.”
Davis is officially visiting Syracuse on December 5th, but that will not be the only college trip he takes. Visits to Cincinnati is in the works, as well as potential trips to Louisville and Arkansas. Cincinnati is the only one of those three that has offered to date. The good news for Orange fans is they will not have to hold on until signing day as he plans to enroll in January.

If Whitey23 is correct and he is a Jan enrolee would that count againist this year numbers or next years numbers? If it counts against this years then I think Sheppard is still likely in the mix.

I think there were reports that Sheppard was going to be a very late commit and that the Orange was his top school. The only question at this point is do they take both? If there is a sudden drop in communicating with Sheppard that will be the answer.Who ever here gets that information will have the answer and hopefully he or she shares with us.

I'm all for McDonald sticking around as the WR coach, and like I said above, it sounds like there is a pretty decent chance of that happening.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but according to Jeff Bertani (supposedly one of GM's best buds) in yesterday's DO article, it didn't sound like the likelihood of GM staying was very high at all. I would suspect he'll be shopping himself pretty good to other BCS level schools who want to expand their footprint in So Fla. Continuing to get commits to verbal to Syracuse off of a disappointing season isn't going to be bad for his resume thats for sure. I'm sure he's still trying to recruit his butt off, but at this point I would think he's doing so for a different end goal than what our fan base is hoping for. Really hope I'm wrong though. Would love for him to stay on as WR coach.

This kid is a January enrollee, making it even more likely that there is room for Sheppard. If he tries to commit on his Dec 5th visit, I am sure the staff will accept. And I believe he will do just that. A hunch at least!

Don't forget about Chris Slayton.

I didn't forgot about Chris Slayton, I said there were 4 on the roster next year.

Here's the depth chart next season

Ron Thompson SENIOR
Don Simmons SENIOR
Isaiah Johnson JUNIOR
Chris Slayton REDSHIRT FRESHMAN

If they keep Thompson or Johnson or both inside then it's even more imperative we bring in 3 or 4 defensive ends. I'd assume Ron will bounce back and forth but you still need 3 or 4 defensive ends because you don't start building depth after they're gone. You'd ideally want to have the replacements take over as redshirt freshman or sophomores. Can't wait til next year to bring in DE's.

Isn't Guidice a DT? Also think Johnson becomes a DT? We are so thin there... I agree though, regardless there is room for Sheppard and probably one more DT... The new kid Clark, Milan, Annan, etc.

meant ginnetti - it's one or the other

i dont think any of that matters and based on the depth chart they'll take both kids.

and nobody said one was better then the other.