1f34a.png
pic.twitter.com/XkwE4vtAGc

Gene Coleman II and March 7th
0 replies 5 retweets 22 favorites
B_Ck6GmW4AAhq1f.jpg

B_Ck6Q8W4AIWuq7.jpg

B_Ck6fVWsAMS3C2.jpg

Why is UB recruiting him? ;-)

Wouldn't be surprised. Like SU, but on a less impressive scale, UB's stepped up its recruiting efforts dramatically.

Doesn't look like he has D1 size. Maybe a kid like Ryslik last year?

Doesn't look like he has D1 size. Maybe a kid like Ryslik last year?
He's listed at 6'3" and 235. Size shouldn't be an issue if those number are accurate.

He looks like an LB. Question is; does he have teh speed and athleticism to be an LB at this level. I think he plays DE at BC.

Thanks for wearing your pajama pants on your visit, kids.

He looks like an LB. Question is; does he have teh speed and athleticism to be an LB at this level. I think he plays DE at BC.
I'll leave the evaluation of his abilities to the staff.

IMO, a 16 or 17 year old HS junior that is 6'3" 230 lbs certainly has the size and time to grow into a D1 DE. Again, I have no idea where the staff projects him, but if these numbers are accurate, his size shouldn't be a factor.

Agree with you on the evaluation. I am just making guesses as to why he may have less interst than some of the other guys we had in. Pure conjecture.

BC is a great program, that has produced some great players, like Scanlon or his protege, Brian Cushing. Maybe this guy is in that mold. I can't say. Cushing is 6' 3" and 250 lbs. He played both LB and DE at BC (as well as RB). Scanlon is 6'2" and also 250 lbs. Also played LB in the pros. I think SU moved him around a bit. I hope that Sal has every bit the career these two had/have, and if that is his destiny, I hope he goes through SU to get there. One thing seems certain, being from Staten Island, he seems to love the "home team".

Agree with you on the evaluation. I am just making guesses as to why he may have less interst than some of the other guys we had in. Pure conjecture.

BC is a great program, that has produced some great players, like Scanlon or his protege, Brian Cushing. Maybe this guy is in that mold. I can't say. Cushing is 6' 3" and 250 lbs. He played both LB and DE at BC (as well as RB). Scanlon is 6'2" and also 250 lbs. Also played LB in the pros. I think SU moved him around a bit. I hope that Sal has every bit the career these two had/have, and if that is his destiny, I hope he goes through SU to get there. One thing seems certain, being from Staten Island, he seems to love the "home team".

Cushing played at USC. Maybe you're thinking of Toal?

at least the pictures of the players on the walls still show them wearing uniforms that look cool and not the current they have the recruits wearing on their visits
Yeah, pretty underwhelming jerseys for our Jersey recruits.Who do you have to be to get a cool uniform?

He's from staten island but plays for Bergen? that's an expensive commute to school

at least the pictures of the players on the walls still show them wearing uniforms that look cool and not the current they have the recruits wearing on their visits
Except that the recruits love the jerseys.

http://highschoolsports.silive.com/...7102238/mauro-recruiting/#incart_river_mobile

By Tom Dowd | dowd@siadvance.com
on March 06, 2015 7:00 AM

For Sal Mauro, the college football recruiting whirlwind is heating up, and it could take him in any kind of direction.

The Huguenot resident is a junior at Bergen Catholic in Oradell, N.J., having transferred to the school after an Advance All-Star season as a sophomore at Monsignor Farrell.

He’s drawing interest from all corners of the college football world, from the Ivy League to the service academies to major conference programs.

“It’s very wide open,” said Mauro.

Over the last few weekends Mauro has visited Syracuse and Maryland, but his first college offer came from an unexpected place when Army reached out to the Bergen Catholic coaching staff on Monday.

“I was a little surprised,” said Mauro. “I didn’t know they were looking at me.”

Soon after Navy called Mauro to extend an offer as well.

In addition to Ivy League schools such as Princeton and Penn, Mauro has been in contact with Boston College, Rutgers, Penn State, Stanford and Colorado. He plans to visit Rutgers and Penn State this spring and to participate in camps at Penn State and Stanford over the summer.

A 6-foot-3, 240-pound defensive end, Mauro registered 54 tackles with nine sacks as a junior last fall. NJ.com named him to its Non-Public second team while MSGVarsity.com selected Mauro as first team all-state and second-team all-metro.

Bergen Catholic finished 8-3 and ranked No. 6 in New Jersey by NJ.com.

Mauro felt his play picked up as the season went on.

“I just kept fighting and working every day and my time came and I got the starting job,” said Mauro.

It’s a long trek to school each day – a 40-mile drive – but Mauro said he often car pools with classmates traveling up to school after going over the Outerbridge Crossing.

Mauro is convinced the extra effort is worth it.

“The thing that stood out was playing at the highest level and becoming a better football player.”