Dean Smith's will | Syracusefan.com

Dean Smith's will

Is this technically an NCAA violation? Benefit given to basketball players but not to other students? Just saying.

someone today. perhaps on WFAN, had an interesting suggestion. forget the $200 per and instead get every player who lettered for Dean together in one big room for a dinner. have someone there with a few camera crews to catch the action. let the 12th man on some random 80's team rub elbows with Jordan, Worthy, Rasheed & Co.

it would make a pretty interesting 30 for 30 and a hell of a recruiting tool for Roy's successor

Is this technically an NCAA violation? Benefit given to basketball players but not to other students? Just saying.
Whereas this was an incredibly nice gesture, this was my first thought.

One more nail in UNC's coffin ;)

It is not an NCAA violation because none of the players have eligibility and Dean Smith's can leave gifts in his estate planning.

I doubt honestly any of the 180 players will actually cash their checks and the checks as a memento would mean more to them than 200 dollars. I know my bank allows me to deposit checks electronically and that would be the only way I would ever take that money. As I would frame the check and want it forever.

It is not an NCAA violation because none of the players have eligibility and Dean Smith's can leave gifts in his estate planning.

I doubt honestly any of the 180 players will actually cash their checks and the checks as a memento would mean more to them than 200 dollars. I know my bank allows me to deposit checks electronically and that would be the only way I would ever take that money. As I would frame the check and want it forever.

Actually giving something to a former player with no more eligibility can be a violation. A few years ago, a group of SU alums wanted to help a former player (with no eligibility left) who was having some problems. They were told by SU Compliance that it would be a violation so they did not do it. Maybe this is a "time limit" thing (the player in question was a fairly recent graduate). However, the explanation in this case was that the post-eligibilty assistance could be viewed as something that had been promised to the player when he DID have eligibility.

Actually giving something to a former player with no more eligibility can be a violation. A few years ago, a group of SU alums wanted to help a former player (with no eligibility left) who was having some problems. They were told by SU Compliance that it would be a violation so they did not do it. Maybe this is a "time limit" thing (the player in question was a fairly recent graduate). However, the explanation in this case was that the post-eligibilty assistance could be viewed as something that had been promised to the player when he DID have eligibility.
Easy solution to that scenario have the university "hire" that former athlete and have a private donation pay his salary. Schools hire former players all the time.

I believe you though as the NCAA seems very likely to be as petty as humanly possible to "student-athletes".