Defense | Syracusefan.com

Defense

Janner

Starter
I might be in the minority but I am more interested in how the defense performs in this first game than I am in the offense. I have enough faith in the coaching, system, and talent on the offensive side that I am not overly worried about how it looks in the first game, or even how it progresses over the course of the season. I am a lot more skeptical about the defense. The inexperience and youth coupled with the "fit" of the players we have for the new cover 2 has me much more interested in how we look, and progress over the season. But I'm excited to see what we got, go orange!

I might be in the minority but I am more interested in how the defense performs in this first game than I am in the offense. I have enough faith in the coaching, system, and talent on the offensive side that I am not overly worried about how it looks in the first game, or even how it progresses over the course of the season. I am a lot more skeptical about the defense. The inexperience and youth coupled with the "fit" of the players we have for the new cover 2 has me much more interested in how we look, and progress over the season. But I'm excited to see what we got, go orange!

You make a good point. I would bet most of us feel the same way. The defense has more question marks. The line is very young.

I think a lot of the anticipation about the offense might come from years of mediocrity and a lack of exciting style? ...although omeone here noted that we actually did put up points, relatively, last year. I remember when we were great under Coach P. I also remember that a lot of the criticism during the decline was the predictability and general lack of creativity on offense, conservative play-calling and clock management. And imho, we've been stuck with this "northern football" style ever since. (This may have led to the incorrect perception by some that Coach Mac was more successful than Coach P)

So to think we might actually throw the long ball effectively, throw to multiple receivers, and play fast...that's exciting! Maybe that's where all the hype comes from. And the fact that Babers and staff are known for what their offenses have done.

Nonetheless, it will be very interesting to see what we look like on both sides of the ball. Friday!

My issue is that supposedly the Tampa 2 only works if you get pressure with the front 4. Well DL is far and away the most difficult group to recruit for, getting a 4 star D lineman is like finding gold on the ground...

I am resigned to the defense being very bad this year. I see it as something that is going to require a few recruiting classes to solve, so I'm not too concerned with how it performs this year. I am far more focused on the offense.

The whole Tampa two thing is being overblown. That will be the base defense but the coaches probably aren't idiots. I guarantee Ward will blitz in third down. Our defense was garbage last year anyway. I love Shaf as a person but they did a poor job recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Maybe it was to fit the scheme but for the most part the D was too small and slow for ACC play.

Experience, conditioning, simplified D, practicing against a fast paced offense, new offense designed to score. I am much less worried than most. I agree with bcubs, I am not expecting an NC, but the whole team will impress people. Several teams will not know what hit them.

Sinking feeling that we have 2 maybe 3 players on the D line prepared for the rigors of an ACC campaign, need a minimum of 6 or 7. Only thing that will hide the poor D line play will be the horrific play from the secondary...

I'd say I'm equally interested in both units -- will be fun to potentially see a potent offense for the first time since '12. But also hard not to be intrigued by the massive set of question marks that makes up the defense.

I also think the jury's out to a degree on ward. I'm not questioning him per se, but in pretty sure Dino's resume as a head coach and offensive mind is pretty solid at this point. Ward still feels like a largely unproven entity. Will be interesting to watch

Last season was inexperience and youth on defense - more so than any SU team I recall. Much better this season in every unit Except DE.

Yeah -- incredibly young, thin unit last year absolutely played a huge factor. Having said that I'm not totally comfortable with the schematic changes. Not pretending to be a football coach at all and in not going to flip out if the unit isn't immediately dominant. Simply stating that I'm not as fired up about the scheme changes in the defensive side as I am on the offensive side.

Totally agree. I will miss shafers attacking style. The tampa 2 isnt too popular in tbe p5 world. Not a huge fan but hope it works.

Yeah -- I loved shafer's style defensively. I hope it works as well but it makes me a little nervous.

Sinking feeling that we have 2 maybe 3 players on the D line prepared for the rigors of an ACC campaign, need a minimum of 6 or 7. Only thing that will hide the poor D line play will be the horrific play from the secondary...
Or maybe an improved secondary with a breakout year for a guy like Whitner and a huge year from Franlin will hide the imperfections at the line.

Yeah -- incredibly young, thin unit last year absolutely played a huge factor. Having said that I'm not totally comfortable with the schematic changes. Not pretending to be a football coach at all and in not going to flip out if the unit isn't immediately dominant. Simply stating that I'm not as fired up about the scheme changes in the defensive side as I am on the offensive side.

Fair enough about the scheme changes (I liked Shafer's attacking defense), but it all starts with the players. 8 starters from last season are back, and will be a tad bigger and a lot more experienced.

I hate the hand-wringing.

We should feel good about Babers and Ward until we don't. And for those not sold on the Tampa 2 or Ward, Babers demoted his best friend after year 1 in BG.

Last year was as rough as you'll see a Shafer D. Youth played a major part. They'll be older. I think the line will be better than people here think. I'm feeling good about our corners. I love Cordy - but his size might be tough to overcome. And I need to see more from Whitner.

just dont be out of position and make tackles. last year so many killer players were caused by confusion. a year older and a much simpler scheme in many ways has to help that. time will tell but i dont think the D can really give up many more points no matter how they play and if the offense just scores 7 more we will be fine. 7 more last year meant a bowl game.

If the offense can click this year, it will take a lot of heat off of the defense, obviously. However, we play against some stellar defenses this year that will give Dungey & Co fits on offense. In those games, hopefully our D has jelled enough to get some stops and keep us in the game. We have a huge test Week 2 against LVille. They might have the best D we will play against all year. Certainly top 2-3.

In any event, we have to be patient. Already got some good talent lined up in the recruiting channels.

I just can't wait to watch some football. It's been a long, long offseason since Babers got hired.

Rocco said:
If the offense can click this year, it will take a lot of heat off of the defense, obviously. However, we play against some stellar defenses this year that will give Dungey & Co fits on offense. In those games, hopefully our D has jelled enough to get some stops and keep us in the game. We have a huge test Week 2 against LVille. They might have the best D we will play against all year. Certainly top 2-3. In any event, we have to be patient. Already got some good talent lined up in the recruiting channels. I just can't wait to watch some football. It's been a long, long offseason since Babers got hired.

It seems like the defenses that give this offense fits are D's that can generate pressure without blitzing, LB with coverage skills and good in space, with exceptional talent at CB. That sound right?

It seems like the defenses that give this offense fits are D's that can generate pressure without blitzing, LB with coverage skills and good in space, with exceptional talent at CB. That sound right?

Yes, that sounds about right. For further in-depth, stellar details on the schemes and fronts that work best, I will point to our resident coach himself, Mr. Finwad32. Brett is an awesome football mind.

If the offense can click this year, it will take a lot of heat off of the defense, obviously. However, we play against some stellar defenses this year that will give Dungey & Co fits on offense. In those games, hopefully our D has jelled enough to get some stops and keep us in the game. We have a huge test Week 2 against LVille. They might have the best D we will play against all year. Certainly top 2-3.

In any event, we have to be patient. Already got some good talent lined up in the recruiting channels.

I just can't wait to watch some football. It's been a long, long offseason since Babers got hired.

Spot on. It's exciting to have a coach with a proven track record, and a staff who know what they're doing. Can't wait to see how the next two years are going to unfold.

Friday can't get here fast enough...

I recall watching Bowling Green in their bowl game this past season, wanting to check out the offense after Dino was hired. Actually, the one play that still stands out to me was on D. Ward called a blitz. Absolutely perfect. Guy comes in untouched, goes straight for the QB, who easily sidesteps the rusher, rolls out and throws a TD pass.

Such is life...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom