Delegation, of Course, Brings the Risk... | Syracusefan.com

Delegation, of Course, Brings the Risk...

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
that the delagatee won't do the job as the delagator experts. Obviously, you develop experience and trust to make sure this doesn't happen. So, my questions are:

1. Did Schafer have no idea that McDonald put together an offensive plan that had bubble screens (that got blown up just about every time) as its centerpiece (when your offensive line outweighs the DL by 50 lbs, putting aside the fact that the OL played like crap?

2. Did Schafer have no idea that Bullough, despite presumably watching 2 years of film on Robertson, would not integrate contain of the QB into his defensive plan?

that the delagatee won't do the job as the delagator experts. Obviously, you develop experience and trust to make sure this doesn't happen. So, my questions are:

1. Did Schafer have no idea that McDonald put together an offensive plan that had bubble screens (that got blown up just about every time) as its centerpiece (when your offensive line outweighs the DL by 50 lbs, putting aside the fact that the OL played like crap?

2. Did Schafer have no idea that Bullough, despite presumably watching 2 years of film on Robertson, would not integrate contain of the QB into his defensive plan?

SHAFER. At least spell the name correctly.

OrangeinBoston said:
that the delagatee won't do the job as the delagator experts. Obviously, you develop experience and trust to make sure this doesn't happen. So, my questions are: 1. Did Schafer have no idea that McDonald put together an offensive plan that had bubble screens (that got blown up just about every time) as its centerpiece (when your offensive line outweighs the DL by 50 lbs, putting aside the fact that the OL played like crap? 2. Did Schafer have no idea that Bullough, despite presumably watching 2 years of film on Robertson, would not integrate contain of the QB into his defensive plan?
Maybe those questions would be better directed to Shafer.

did he not get contained or just not get tackled.. i didnt get the sense he didnt have guys all around him all night just not able to bring him down.. he wasnt running free all those times.

Enough with the bubble screen bs and the 50 pound weight advantage nonsense. We only resorted to bubble screens after hunt went down and even after that there weren't that many. I watched plenty of college football yesterday and guess what? Every team but Alabama featured a horizontal passing game to get the ball to their athletes in space. We all complained that we wanted a modern offense which spreads the field out and that's what we have so quit whining. We need to do a better job of executing (ie our guard needs to not fall down on every play and actually hit someone) and disguising the formation a bit.

With regards to the 50 pound weight advantage... It was very obvious that our oline sucked from the very beginning, when we did try to run it. You think McDonald might of seen that and adjusted to it? What does everyone propose, running it every play when we couldn't even get a yard when it counted the most? Then the complaints would be why did McDonald try to force the run when it wasn't there.

I am not giving McDonald a pass, he needs to disguise plays so the D doesn't know what's coming. Hopefully he straightens it out before CMU but let's all stop with the bubble screen and run game nonsense. We weren't that bubble screen heavy and our oline played like crap which meant we couldn't run it.

Enough with the bubble screen bs and the 50 pound weight advantage nonsense. We only resorted to bubble screens after hunt went down and even after that there weren't that many. I watched plenty of college football yesterday and guess what? Every team but Alabama featured a horizontal passing game to get the ball to their athletes in space. We all complained that we wanted a modern offense which spreads the field out and that's what we have so quit whining. We need to do a better job of executing (ie our guard needs to not fall down on every play and actually hit someone) and disguising the formation a bit.

With regards to the 50 pound weight advantage... It was very obvious that our oline sucked from the very beginning, when we did try to run it. You think McDonald might of seen that and adjusted to it? What does everyone propose, running it every play when we couldn't even get a yard when it counted the most? Then the complaints would be why did McDonald try to force the run when it wasn't there.

I am not giving McDonald a pass, he needs to disguise plays so the D doesn't know what's coming. Hopefully he straightens it out before CMU but let's all stop with the bubble screen and run game nonsense. We weren't that bubble screen heavy and our oline played like crap which meant we couldn't run it.

Other then 2 or 3 bubble screens per game every other successful offense was going north-south, and pushing the ball downfield yesterday. We had far to much east-west. It's very rare you see an offense that wants to go east-west as much as we did Friday night.

Other then 2 or 3 bubble screens per game every other successful offense was going north-south, and pushing the ball downfield yesterday. We had far to much east-west. It's very rare you see an offense that wants to go east-west as much as we did Friday night.
if you think that you were not watching most games. Almost every big passing play this weekend was under 10 yds but turned into something. but also any big play came after 10-15 short plays to suck the safeties up and then throw over the top.

And the schemes really don't seem to fit the players recruited. In the read option offense why is a player like Wilson even recruited? We seem to run our defensive scheme built around smaller quicker players, yet we have bigger slower defenders running it. Again my bigger issues are not a bad game against nova, but the lunacy of the schemes.

if you think that you were not watching most games. Almost every big passing play this weekend was under 10 yds but turned into something. but also any big play came after 10-15 short plays to suck the safeties up and then throw over the top.

I missed the start of the game because of family obligations but when I turned the game on I think Broyld touched the ball 3 times in a row and then Hunt was ejected shortly after. There was a run and incomplete pass between those 3 plays but essentially 3 positive plays in a row featured Broyld. At least 2 of them, I'll have to watch the replay to make sure, but his plays were east-west and he turned them into positive yards. I'm not sure why we weren't able to continue to do that later in the game. As Bees said in another thread, Wilsons first drive he looked pretty decent.

So did we stop featuring Broyld, did 'Nova adjust their defense to compensate for Broyld and we never adjusted accordingly, what was the impact of Wilson being unable to complete deep passes after his first drive?

Essentially agreeing with you, we were having success with the East - West play which would have potentially changed the complexion of the game later, assuming proper execution and good play calling. Every game I saw there was a lot of the same thing, getting players with similar physical attributes as Broyld the ball on the outside, good blocking, and letting the playmakers make plays.

And the schemes really don't seem to fit the players recruited. In the read option offense why is a player like Wilson even recruited? We seem to run our defensive scheme built around smaller quicker players, yet we have bigger slower defenders running it. Again my bigger issues are not a bad game against nova, but the lunacy of the schemes.
Wilson was recruited by the previous staff and was a hold over when Shafer took over.

I missed the start of the game because of family obligations but when I turned the game on I think Broyld touched the ball 3 times in a row and then Hunt was ejected shortly after. There was a run and incomplete pass between those 3 plays but essentially 3 positive plays in a row featured Broyld. At least 2 of them, I'll have to watch the replay to make sure, but his plays were east-west and he turned them into positive yards. I'm not sure why we weren't able to continue to do that later in the game. As Bees said in another thread, Wilsons first drive he looked pretty decent.

So did we stop featuring Broyld, did 'Nova adjust their defense to compensate for Broyld and we never adjusted accordingly, what was the impact of Wilson being unable to complete deep passes after his first drive?

Essentially agreeing with you, we were having success with the East - West play which would have potentially changed the complexion of the game later, assuming proper execution and good play calling. Every game I saw there was a lot of the same thing, getting players with similar physical attributes as Broyld the ball on the outside, good blocking, and letting the playmakers make plays.

I agree with this. At one point, before Hunt got tossed, I was thinking. ok - if they are willing to let Ashton get 10 yards a pop- we'll take that. I think they gave that to us, ands we took it. I don't know why we stopped featuring Broyld, and I don't know why we didn't throw over the middle more. We seemed to have decent success when we tried. My guess is - everybody (players and coaches) developed 'shrinkage' as the game wore along, and we started playing like a bunch of chickens#ts. Given how few plays we ran in the 4th, however, I am not going to freak out about play calling yet. The circumstances were somewhat unique. I think the punt return rattled everyone's cage.

I also think that the fake FG in 2OT was Shafer stepping in and showing some nads. Courage has to come from the leader.. and for most of the game, the play calling lacked courage. Let's see what happens next.

I agree with this. At one point, before Hunt got tossed, I was thinking. ok - if they are willing to let Ashton get 10 yards a pop- we'll take that. I think they gave that to us, ands we took it. I don't know why we stopped featuring Broyld, and I don't know why we didn't throw over the middle more. We seemed to have decent success when we tried. My guess is - everybody (players and coaches) developed 'shrinkage' as the game wore along, and we started playing like a bunch of chickens#ts. Given how few plays we ran in the 4th, however, I am not going to freak out about play calling yet. The circumstances were somewhat unique. I think the punt return rattled everyone's cage.

I also think that the fake FG in 2OT was Shafer stepping in and showing some nads. Courage has to come from the leader.. and for most of the game, the play calling lacked courage. Let's see what happens next.

It's funny because in any other game we would be ecstatic that Shafer went for that. How many years did we hear how Marrone was not a college coach because he punts the ball. Shafer goes for an absolutely gutsy play, wins the game, and not a peep. I understand the circumstances of the game and the feeling we probably should have lost factor into that but still.

I still need to watch the game again so I could be wrong. I think 'Nova was trying to prevent us from running and stop the short passes, so their defense was playing very tight and prevented us from attempting too much in the middle. Or, it could have been just as much the fear of Wilson throwing an INT. Idk.

did he not get contained or just not get tackled.. i didnt get the sense he didnt have guys all around him all night just not able to bring him down.. he wasnt running free all those times.
I don't know about that - Micah ran past him several times and it looked as if Patterson expected him to do so. The left side was almost always open. He almost always was untouched until well after the LOS. I think it is a problem that they will address.

It's funny because in any other game we would be ecstatic that Shafer went for that. How many years did we hear how Marrone was not a college coach because he punts the ball. Shafer goes for an absolutely gutsy play, wins the game, and not a peep. I understand the circumstances of the game and the feeling we probably should have lost factor into that but still.

I don't think you could say Shafer's decision to go for the fake was gusty? If anything it was ludicrous. Think about it he went for a fake FG in OT, on the 4 inch line, vs an FCS opponent, at home. Why in the world that decision was ever made I will never understand. I can't even begin to think of the backlash if that didn't succeed. If you can't line up and punch it in from that distance, at home, against that opponent then we have no business fielding a football program.

upperdeck said:
9 yard passes and -5 yard fumbles are different things

Wilson was recruited by the previous staff and was a hold over when Shafer took over.
True but we were running similar offense then. I just don't get why we seem to recruit guys that are bad fits (this is even more apparent on d). Although it sounds like that edouard dude is a good fit.

I don't think you could say Shafer's decision to go for the fake was gusty? If anything it was ludicrous. Think about it he went for a fake FG in OT, on the 4 inch line, vs an FCS opponent, at home. Why in the world that decision was ever made I will never understand. I can't even begin to think of the backlash if that didn't succeed. If you can't line up and punch it in from that distance, at home, against that opponent then we have no business fielding a football program.
Completely...and then ran the play short side!!

They stopped throwing bubbles in the second half because Nova started pressing our WR's - because they knew Wilson wasn't getting it to them over the top.

Of the DB's off - you throw the bubble. That's why it seems like we threw a lot if them in the first.

True but we were running similar offense then. I just don't get why we seem to recruit guys that are bad fits (this is even more apparent on d). Although it sounds like that edouard dude is a good fit.

We weren't running a similar offense under Marrone. Wilson was a pretty good fit for Marrone/Hackett.

AZOrange said:
Completely...and then ran the play short side!!

Now they coaches are getting killed for winning TD plays? Sheesh.

I agree but I don't think we would have made it by ramming it down their throats. Sad to say.

We weren't running a similar offense under Marrone. Wilson was a pretty good fit for Marrone/Hackett.
When they switched in 2012 to the no huddle one back sets (with read principles) it bore a resemblance to what we run now, although marrone was smart enough to mold it around his rather immobile qb. All the bubble screens are new although we were running more of an Oregon style even in 2012.

They stopped throwing bubbles in the second half because Nova started pressing our WR's - because they knew Wilson wasn't getting it to them over the top.

Of the DB's off - you throw the bubble. That's why it seems like we threw a lot if them in the first.
Hopefully , by the CMU game they will have Erv Phillips coached up enough to get him the ball in space , such as a bubble screen or a reverse. His vision , explosive speed and decisive cuts were really special on kickoff returns.