Depth Chart for Colgate | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Depth Chart for Colgate

yessir. Good points

What have you heard about McGloster from staff? I am curious, I know he was brought in as a project but I have been quietly rooting for the kid since he was recruited. Thought with his frame he had a ton of potential.

A lot of people seem to be bully on potential, but I don't like potential in a league where the talent gap can be pretty large.
Do you/we have a choice, I am all ears on options.

Don't know why they list the TE instead of the 2nd inside WR. No way the TE will play more than the 2nd inside WR. Heck, we will run more 5 WR sets more than 3 WR sets.

Would like to know who the 2 backup inside WRs are. I am guessing Neal and Bradshaw, though I think Avant and Riley are competing with them.

Looks like Evans has been moved inside. They have tried him at center and he is on the two deep at OG. The coaches must see something in him. Same thing with Byrne. Right now, I would expect those two to have the inside track on starting next year, replacing outgoing seniors Emerich and Palmer. Though it is impressive that a true frosh (Heckel) beat out so many more experienced players for the two team spot at center.

Good to see Conway win the LT spot. If it is close, like to see the underclassman win a battle for a starting position. Between, Conway, Roberts, Heckel, Byrne, Adams, Duerig and Clausman, plus the other kids, there is a good core to build with.

I am guessing Custis and AC must have had good camps, if the staff is playing Butler some at RB.

On the defensive side, I expect Slayton to play a lot at DT and DE. More at DE against run-based offenses, more at DT against pass-based offenses.

I think Winfield, Hudson and Dowels are the top 3 CBs. All will play a lot, especially against 3 WR sets.

Rodney Williams dropped off the two deep, probably more due to injuries than anything else. He has been plagued by injuries going back to HS. Too bad, he is a talented player. If Whitner gets hurt, I would expect Scissum to start at FS and Cordy to return to SS.

Overall, it is a very undersized unit that almost invites teams to power run against us. I hope we can tackle and hold the line of scrimmage well, because our secondary and linebackers are going to be dominant...not with their lack of size. It is a fast unit, and our ability to defend against the pass looks better than our ability to defend the run. We are going to have to score a lot of points to get to six wins.

Well said, Tom. Good points.

I really want to see some of these freshmen get redshirted as we really need to start building some depth for years 3-5. Armstrong, Heckel, Butler and Riley specifically. Use up the eligibility of the upperclassmen first, and keep some of these spades in your pocket for down the line. If Heckel really is the answer behind Emerich, redshirting him and giving us a center for 4 years would be huge. I hope one of the guards can slide in to take his spot if Emerich goes down. Who knows, maybe not.

I have a different take on the power run versus the air-it-out teams offenses against our defense. I think our secondary is our weak link all season. The defensive line, albeit largely unproven for all of the backups and one of the starters, will actually be a strength this year IMO. The safeties scare me. Cordy is a ferocious player, but tends to bite easily. Whitner showed signs last year, but seemed to get picked on a lot as a true freshman (naturally). Hopefully these two made huge strides in the offseason with Ward and Monroe.

In any event, there is a good base for Babers & Co to work with. Missing out on Pierre and Shaw stinks, but they're off to a nice start to 2017 and have the ability to land some gems as the season goes on.

Do you/we have a choice, I am all ears on options.
We don't have a choice. That's why I'm worried. There could be talent on the line. But good looks in camp don't always translate well into games.

The secondary does scare me at bit, but I'm hoping that most of the exposure last year was do to the blitz first defense we where playing and left a lot of young kids out on islands. I'm sure they will still have issues, not all the mistakes where made because of the defense. The secondary needs to grow up fast and as for the DL/DE I agree with most are saying here and it will be the strength of this defense.

Well said, Tom. Good points.

I really want to see some of these freshmen get redshirted as we really need to start building some depth for years 3-5. Armstrong, Heckel, Butler and Riley specifically. Use up the eligibility of the upperclassmen first, and keep some of these spades in your pocket for down the line. If Heckel really is the answer behind Emerich, redshirting him and giving us a center for 4 years would be huge. I hope one of the guards can slide in to take his spot if Emerich goes down. Who knows, maybe not.

I have a different take on the power run versus the air-it-out teams offenses against our defense. I think our secondary is our weak link all season. The defensive line, albeit largely unproven for all of the backups and one of the starters, will actually be a strength this year IMO. The safeties scare me. Cordy is a ferocious player, but tends to bite easily. Whitner showed signs last year, but seemed to get picked on a lot as a true freshman (naturally). Hopefully these two made huge strides in the offseason with Ward and Monroe.

In any event, there is a good base for Babers & Co to work with. Missing out on Pierre and Shaw stinks, but they're off to a nice start to 2017 and have the ability to land some gems as the season goes on.

How do you build depth 3-5 years out, when we have no depth now? Babers, himself, said we are thin in several areas.

What are so many of you afraid of? This year is all about watching one of the greatest offensive schemes in the history of the sport going to work in our own house. The beginning stages of what will soon be known as the greatest college show on dome turf. Anything positive on defense is 100% bonus. Stop it ya worry-warts!

How do you build depth 3-5 years out, when we have no depth now? Babers, himself, said we are thin in several areas.

So does it make sense to have thin depth this year or thin depth in 3 years? This year, if any, should serve as the sacrificial year in terms of "thin-ness". Babers wants to win now and will do whatever it takes to do that, but as he has stated many times since he's been hired, he needs time. This year is a building year for all other years.

So does it make sense to have thin depth this year or thin depth in 3 years? This year, if any, should serve as the sacrificial year in terms of "thin-ness". Babers wants to win now and will do whatever it takes to do that, but as he has stated many times since he's been hired, he needs time. This year is a building year for all other years.
I think a 'rebuilding' year for Dino...is better than 8 of the last 11 Football Orange years.

Rocco, will you make the call?? get me colgates 2 deep?

I think a 'rebuilding' year for Dino...is better than 8 of the last 11 Football Orange years.

Rocco, will you make the call?? get me colgates 2 deep?

Agreed completely. We still make a bowl this year IMO.

You recruit up to 25 limit plus grey shirts, and recruit guys that will actually make it on campus. Then our depth will get better. But, i want to win now (and I'm sure Babers does too) and if that means playing freshman, then play them.

We have a cart full of unknowns going into this season that will quickly become knowns in the next few weeks.

What have you heard about McGloster from staff? I am curious, I know he was brought in as a project but I have been quietly rooting for the kid since he was recruited. Thought with his frame he had a ton of potential.
Dont know specifics. Only thing Ive heard from others is that he has great feet and athleticism for his size. Needs to play a little more nasty

Question - how do we never have any depth? Is it just a result of the attrition following the rotating door of coaches? It's just ridiculous to me that we haven't had any depth in 10-15 years. How is that possible?

We don't have a choice. That's why I'm worried. There could be talent on the line. But good looks in camp don't always translate well into games.
They have to practice and you can't give them game experience...well, until they play in a game.

I would rather we battle test folks against Colgate than Florida State.

This is also the same worry that every team has every year when any underclassmen are playing. No different for us.

That Dungey kid played pretty well last year though.

We have a cart full of unknowns going into this season that will quickly become knowns in the next few weeks.

quote-there-are-known-knowns-these-are-things-we-know-that-we-know-there-are-known-unknowns-that-is-to-donald-rumsfeld-160005.jpg

They have to practice and you can't give them game experience...well, until they play in a game.

I would rather we battle test folks against Colgate than Florida State.

This is also the same worry that every team has every year when any underclassmen are playing. No different for us.

That Dungey kid played pretty well last year though.
Not sure what your point is. I'm not saying the line is going to be bad. I'm saying the line worries me the most.

Question - how do we never have any depth? Is it just a result of the attrition following the rotating door of coaches? It's just ridiculous to me that we haven't had any depth in 10-15 years. How is that possible?
We've had some ridiculous attrition... Especially on the DL. We have not been able to build up a good base for going on 8 years now for various reasons. The OL/DL should be leading candidates for RS's, and, for a variety of reasons I feel like we've lost a ton of DL before they ever had the chance to grow.

Just off the top of my head... Markus Coleman, Ron Thompson leaves early... Jaylen Harvey leaves school... Tyler Marona with a career ending injury... Isaiah Johnson career ender (he would've been a MONSTER) that's not evening mentioning Amir Ealey/Kenny Carter/ Qadiir Shephard.

Holy Shite - I didn't realize how bad it was until I just typed it.

You get depth with blow-out wins that allow you to play back-ups in the fourth quarter. I also think frequent coaching changes don't help because you lose recruited when you fire the whole staff and the new guy has a late start in building a staff and getting back out on the recruiting trail.

You get depth with blow-out wins that allow you to play back-ups in the fourth quarter. I also think frequent coaching changes don't help because you lose recruited when you fire the whole staff and the new guy has a late start in building a staff and getting back out on the recruiting trail.
Babers having been a Head coach, knows you build depth by playing people, and the only way to do that is in games. I expect unlike the past coaches we have had, he will play a lot of people, on both offense, and defense. You might lose a game, but in the long run you have better players, and a better team.

baggerbob said:
Babers having been a Head coach, knows you build depth by playing people, and the only way to do that is in games. I expect unlike the past coaches we have had, he will play a lot of people, on both offense, and defense. You might lose a game, but in the long run you have better players, and a better team.

This. At the tempo in which we play, we'll have to play more bodies. Babers said this yesterday.

He also said "so will our opponents" - likely not important to teams like Clemson and FSU. But UCONN, BC, and Wake? Hope their 2's are as ready as our will be.

(Increased practice reps are a god send).

As soon as we figure out how Kielan rhymes with sky I'll be in good shape to continue reading the depth chart. ;)
Couplet of the week:
Going to see Cuse play Colgate
Hoping to see the Orange Roll

It would be cool if upperclassmen got zeros in the start chart for years they were active didn't play, and underclassmen got hashes.

We've had some ridiculous attrition... Especially on the DL. We have not been able to build up a good base for going on 8 years now for various reasons. The OL/DL should be leading candidates for RS's, and, for a variety of reasons I feel like we've lost a ton of DL before they ever had the chance to grow.

Just off the top of my head... Markus Coleman, Ron Thompson leaves early... Jaylen Harvey leaves school... Tyler Marona with a career ending injury... Isaiah Johnson career ender (he would've been a MONSTER) that's not evening mentioning Amir Ealey/Kenny Carter/ Qadiir Shephard.

Holy Shite - I didn't realize how bad it was until I just typed it.
I think if you look at the 2012 and 2013 recruiting classes and the JUCOs that were recruited... some that didn't pan out and a few that were kicked off the team for stealing there QBs stuff...that hurt future depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom