Class of 2015 Derrick Jones Vs. Diagne Vs. Silva

Who would you rather have in Orange?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Who would you rather pick up and why?

Just a poll born of curiosity.

Obviously Bryant is a focus. I pray to god we land Howard tonight. It won't hurt us with Battle.

I thought we only had two slots left (even accounting for Grants departure) so if we take Howard, and Bryant is the focus as you said, none of these guys have a slot so it's irrelevant.

That said, Jones is a kid who can just play ball sure he has "size" concerns for the SU zone, but damn it the kid can play, and can score the ball, you can never have too many of those guys, because if you lack em, you end up with a late season swoon like we just had.

I thought we only had two slots left (even accounting for Grants departure) so if we take Howard, and Bryant is the focus as you said, none of these guys have a slot so it's irrelevant.

That said, Jones is a kid who can just play ball sure he has "size" concerns for the SU zone, but damn it the kid can play, and can score the ball, you can never have too many of those guys, because if you lack em, you end up with a late season swoon like we just had.

I'm just figuring..chances are we don't get/take both Howard and Bryant. I'll be absolutely ecstatic if we do.

It seems Silva is being recruited by a lot of mid majors and Diagne has more advanced offensive skills. I vote for Diagne in that comparison. If we still need an athletic wing than Jones probably has more upside potential than either of the other 2. Not sure these guys are either/or, may get a couple of them.

Jones. I still imagine him being one of the best perimeter zone defenders of all time. He probably ends up on the wing, but having him up top would be ferocious.

2015-2016 Season

Guards

Joseph(So)- point guard
Cooney (Sr)- shooting guard
Johnson (Jr)- shooting guard/small forward
Patterson (Jr)- shooting guard
Howard (Fr)- point guard
Richardson(Fr)- shooting guard

Forwards
Gbinije(Sr)- small forward/shooting guard
Roberson (Jr)- combo forward
McCullough(So) - power forward (one and done)
London(Fr)- small forward?

Centers
Coleman(Jr/Sr?)
Obokoh(So/Jr?)

Since there is a need at the center position.

1- Bryant
2- Diagne
3- Silva

The report on Diagne is that he's extremely raw offensively. For all of SU's strengths, developing unpolished big men into decent offensive threats (~10 PPG) isn't something the staff has been able to do in a handful of years and I don't see that changing.

The report on Diagne is that he's extremely raw offensively. For all of SU's strengths, developing unpolished big men into decent offensive threats (~10 PPG) isn't something the staff has been able to do in a handful of years and I don't see that changing.

Diagne is the most polished offensively of the 3 mentioned in the post heading. Fab became a post presence to an extent and he definitely showed growth while on the hill. Rick Jackson was a beast by his senior year in 2011 and Onuaku shouldn't even be in this conversation. You got me on Xmas but Coleman shows potential and both of them still have some time left. Who exactly are you referring to in the past handful of years? Sean Williams? Dashonte Riley?

Diagne is the most polished offensively of the 3 mentioned in the post heading. Fab became a post presence to an extent and he definitely showed growth while on the hill. Rick Jackson was a beast by his senior year in 2011 and Onuaku shouldn't even be in this conversation. You got me on Xmas but Coleman shows potential and both of them still have some time left. Who exactly are you referring to in the past handful of years? Sean Williams? Dashonte Riley?
I thought Rick was pretty polished looking in HS, he just didn't have elite athleticism. I thought the staff did an amazing job with Arinze in his time on the Hill. I thought that as maybe the second or third best development all-time of a big after only Seikaly and Bouie. Fab also progressed very nicely on the court. If he had kept his academic ducks in a row & stayed four years he would have been a monster by his senior season. I have never been as high on X as most others on the forum, so his relative lack of development is not surprising to me. Still as a senior who will get as many minutes as he can handle, I hope he can up his production to at least 10 & 7, anything less would be a big disappointment. DC2 is hard to judge. Clearly he has disappointed, but it is impossible to ascertain how much of that might be on the staff & how much due to his injuries. BMK never progressed on the O end, but then again you can't progress if you can't catch the ball in the first place. Considering that, he was a nice contributor on the D end.

All in all, I think the staff has done a very solid, but not spectacular, job of developing recent bigs. I think if Diagne or Bryant comes that they will be forces after maybe one year of adjusting to the college game. Don't have an opinion on Silva in that regard.

I thought Rick was pretty polished looking in HS, he just didn't have elite athleticism. I thought the staff did an amazing job with Arinze in his time on the Hill. I thought that as maybe the second or third best development all-time of a big after only Seikaly and Bouie. Fab also progressed very nicely on the court. If he had kept his academic ducks in a row & stayed four years he would have been a monster by his senior season. I have never been as high on X as most others on the forum, so his relative lack of development is not surprising to me. Still as a senior who will get as many minutes as he can handle, I hope he can up his production to at least 10 & 7, anything less would be a big disappointment. DC2 is hard to judge. Clearly he has disappointed, but it is impossible to ascertain how much of that might be on the staff & how much due to his injuries. BMK never progressed on the O end, but then again you can't progress if you can't catch the ball in the first place. Considering that, he was a nice contributor on the D end.

All in all, I think the staff has done a very solid, but not spectacular, job of developing recent bigs. I think if Diagne or Bryant comes that they will be forces after maybe one year of adjusting to the college game. Don't have an opinion on Silva in that regard.

Any improvement by our big men in that time from was due to Bernie, not Mike.

Thomas Bryant would be my #1 pick

If not Bryant we have to get Diagne with both Coleman and Obokoh both being seniors in 2015

Given we are coming down to the wire with one or two spots open it looks like the earlier bird(s) get the worm. I'm worried that either/or Bryant and Diagne may decide after theres no longer any room.

So how many scholarships does SU have to give out now that Howard committed and Grant is headed to the NBA? I have seen a couple of places that SU can only sign 4 recruits but maybe a 5th if MC ends up being a 1 and done. Based on everything I've heard and seen I don't see MC coming back after his Fr season. So how does that factor into recruiting? Can you have 5 commit even if you may not have a scholarship available? Or is it more of like a trust thing that you tell the recruit they will have a spot and you wait till its officially available? I could see Jones being that 5th guy in the class because of his top two school right now being SU and UK. Unless things change you would have to assume that Jones will want to wait and see who leaves and who comes back at UK and basically be playing the same waiting game with SU.

Anyway the choice has to be Bryant if only one official spot is left. Bryant is better then the other C/PF's listed with Diagne being a close second.

I have a feeling no matter where Jones go the guys going to turn into a super star.

Sure he's all athleticism etc. right now, but I'm getting more of a Rudy Gay than Paul Harris vibe from him.

Who would you rather pick up and why?

Just a poll born of curiosity.

Obviously Bryant is a focus. I pray to god we land Howard tonight. It won't hurt us with Battle.
With the addition of Howard Richardson's flexibility can be used more effectively IMO Malachi could move to the 4 spot occasionally if required. I like these two guys on top of the zone.

2-3zone said:
Thomas Bryant would be my #1 pick

If not Bryant we have to get Diagne with both Coleman and Obokoh both being seniors in 2015

Obokoh won't be a senior

So how many scholarships does SU have to give out now that Howard committed and Grant is headed to the NBA? I have seen a couple of places that SU can only sign 4 recruits but maybe a 5th if MC ends up being a 1 and done. Based on everything I've heard and seen I don't see MC coming back after his Fr season. So how does that factor into recruiting? Can you have 5 commit even if you may not have a scholarship available? Or is it more of like a trust thing that you tell the recruit they will have a spot and you wait till its officially available? I could see Jones being that 5th guy in the class because of his top two school right now being SU and UK. Unless things change you would have to assume that Jones will want to wait and see who leaves and who comes back at UK and basically be playing the same waiting game with SU.

Anyway the choice has to be Bryant if only one official spot is left. Bryant is better then the other C/PF's listed with Diagne being a close second.
Pretty sure it's 1 additional scholarship. In order to take 5 guys somebody has to depart after the 2014 season be it an NBA jump or a transfer or Coleman's knees not being able to hold up.

Right now the target has to be a big man for the last spot.

Halfmooncuse said:
Given we are coming down to the wire with one or two spots open it looks like the earlier bird(s) get the worm. I'm worried that either/or Bryant and Diagne may decide after theres no longer any room.

Getting a big man in the next class is essential. Christmas is done after next season, leaving only a hobbled Coleman and an offensively challenged Obokoh.

I'll say Diagne because the zone is best with a shot blocker. I don't necessarily see shot blockers in Bryant nor Silva.

Diagne is like 6'8"; Bryant is a legit 6'9" with a huge wing span. He could man the middle just fine and like Diagne has some offensive skills.

I really feel that when it is all said and done 2015 will be a five player class if any 2 of Jones, Diagne, or Bryant choose SU they will take them and figure the rest out later. Between Coleman's knee, hope no issue McC, Roberson, leaving for NBA or someone transfering something will open up. If we get Jones and niether big that means next year will be rough as the staff does not think Roberson or McC are good enough to make the leap.