Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

Bryant has been to SU about five times already since last year.
Bryant attended the Elite camp at SU in August. Seems like Bryant wants to explore his options and court attention from the blue bloods like UNC (he has stated he grew up a UNC fan), UK, and Kansas. Doesn't mean he doesn't end up at SU but I get the feeling he will give serious thought to going to one of the other glamour programs. Diagne is showing great interest in SU and my sense is we lead for him. Haven't heard anything about Diallo and SU but have heard he likes both Louisville and St. John's a lot.

IF we get Diagne I'll be ecstatic. If we get Bryant I'll be ecstatic. If we get Jones I'll be ecstatic.

This is such a great year to be an Orange fan.

I agree, its gotten to the point that I trust whatever the coaches decide in terms of priorities and Syracuse can and does close on big time recruits.

Everything coming up orange

Is this kid the same sort of raw scoring athleticism that Paul Harris was? Seems to hit the boards like Harris too.

I agree and would not be at all surprised to find out Diange is the priority over Bryant at this point. I worry about Brysnt's mobility even as a 5 for us after his game Thursday. Coleman moves much much better than him. I'm not sure I want to see us take Jones after Disnge however unless the staff is sure he can be a difference maker right away. We will have senior MikeG and junior BJ to man the 3. I'd almost rather have another big forward who can play the 4 as it is possible that jerami, Tyler and Chris will be gone.

I actually think Bryant moves pretty well for a big. He is a bit awkward so it looks a bit unathletic, but he was closing out on guards just fine imo. Obviously as he continues to grow into his body and gain coordination it will only improve. IMO he moves far better then DC2 just from watching a few games of his and some highlights.

I actually think Bryant moves pretty well for a big. He is a bit awkward so it looks a bit unathletic, but he was closing out on guards just fine imo. Obviously as he continues to grow into his body and gain coordination it will only improve. IMO he moves far better then DC2 just from watching a few games of his and some highlights.

I didn't worry about it until I saw the full game the other night. It looked lumbering and kind of like a shuffle up and down the court. I really cannot at all imagine him playing the wing in the zone and honestly unless something changes I worry about his defense even as a 5 as far as getting to where he needs to be and adjusting. It is weird because like you say in highlights he looks great moving at times although this season he looks much bigger. I really do not want both him and Diange anymore. One or the other as a 5 IMO. But what do I know.

Is this kid the same sort of raw scoring athleticism that Paul Harris was? Seems to hit the boards like Harris too.

Hopefully he can dribble with both hands, unlike Paul Harris.

I thought he looked sluggish when closing out. There is more to it than throwing a hand in the air. In my opinion though, that's on the coach. Our coach would "Boeheim" him for that lazy play in a heartbeat and he would eventually learn that not giving 100% on D gives you a spot on the bench. Not closing out is learned behavior. People are talking about him shuffling his feet, the one time I saw him I noticed the same. Again though, footwork can be taught. Ultimately recruiting is not an exact science and you basically have two options if you're Syracuse. Go with the guy with the most upside or go with the guaranteed production with limited upside. The beauty of it is, either option for Syracuse is a 5 star recruit - so who cares.

Everything coming up Orange

Jones had 19pts(8-14 shooting), 6rbs, and 3blks in his last game against Oak Hill. Another good look for him against one of the premier HS programs out there.

DJones' dunks are thundering and seem momentum shifting. Need a finisher with ice in his veins.

I getthe feeling the staff sees him as the next jerami Grant. Which is nice.

I think he can now that fine is gone. No?
No. Fine couldn't go on the road at the end. The only time g-mac can go on the road is when one of the other coaches can't (with a real reason). Like when jb is coaching with K

No. Fine couldn't go on the road at the end. The only time g-mac can go on the road is when one of the other coaches can't (with a real reason). Like when jb is coaching with K
Oh, is that how it works? I thought that they could have any three coaches on the road at the same time, so long as they did not exceed three coaches actively recruiting on the road at any given time.

Jones had 19pts(8-14 shooting), 6rbs, and 3blks in his last game against Oak Hill. Another good look for him against one of the premier HS programs out there.
Tough three game stretch for Jones. After the Oak Hill game, Archbishop Carroll faces Lower Merion followed by Neumann-Goretti.

Oh, is that how it works? I thought that they could have any three coaches on the road at the same time, so long as they did not exceed three coaches actively recruiting on the road at any given time.
Starting this past August, the rule changed where all four coaches(The head and his three assistants) can hit the road at the same time. GMac has been the main assistant that has watched and kept constant contact with Jones since the spring. JB was the last one to visit him recently at his school.