Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

I saw some google quotes saying Jones wants to go to Syracuse. This is the strangest recruiting year ever. If we get one more verbal that will mean it will be over a year before we care about recruiting again. How crazy is that!
Battle and Murray disagree :D... besides, probably taking 2 more for 2015. Howard I hope and one of Bryant, Diagne, and Jones... in that order.

Battle and Murray disagree :D... besides, probably taking 2 more for 2015. Howard I hope and one of Bryant, Diagne, and Jones... in that order.

I'm just amazed we have so many recruits so early in the cycle this time!

Of all the recruits we've watched over the last few years, Jones looks to be Hakim Warrick 2.0. He's just not as tall. Warrick was a bean pole with freakish athleticism and little polish, when he arrived. He developed an amazing array of post moves and a midrange jumper by his sophomore year and as he gained strength became dominant. Jones has the disadvantage of being an undersized 3 in our system, and therefore his skillset really needs to include a handle and jumpshot for him to "max out", like Hakim did.

Couple of recent DJ outings as Archbishop Carroll wins three straight in 4 days.
10 and 10 in a league win on the 15th.
Chipped in 10 Friday night in a tournament semifinal.
Wins the Burger King Classic with 18 points and 10 rebounds.

Again, sorry McDs but whopper beat the big mac. ;)

Glad to have you back (even if it is in moderation), tee1222

Here's a vicious DJones slam:

D. Jones and Carroll fall to "Hello" Neumann-Goretti, always a competitive team.
Jones had 7 points and Archbishop Carroll actually led most of the way, but got outscored 23-14 in the 4th quarter, costing them the game.
Hello Jerry.
Hello Newman.
Our boy, Ja'Quan Newton rocked 29 points.
Hello Newton.

D. Jones and Carroll fall to "Hello" Neumann-Goretti, always a competitive team.
Jones had 7 points and Archbishop Carroll actually led most of the way, but got outscored 23-14 in the 4th quarter, costing them the game.
Hello Jerry.
Hello Newman.
Our boy, Ja'Quan Newton rocked 29 points.
Hello Newton.
Syracuse football WR recruit (and potential basketball walk on next year), Jamal Custis, had 7 points for Neumann-Goretti.

I want this kid badly but it just seems like Bryant, Diagne and Howard are still the priorities :oops:

Just feel like Diagne and Jones will end up the stars. I'm not really as big on Bryant as most people here are.

Not a Bryant guy as well. I do like that motor of his but he has some physical limitations it seems with the lateral movement/ice skating issues.

Jones is the perfect compliment to Malachi and Lydon. Realistically, I don't even know if Malachi, Jones, and Lydon would see much playing time their freshmen year, but if they were willing to play a minor role their freshmen year and then step into a bigger role their sophomore year, it'd be great. Malachi looks to be an excellent perimeter player, whereas Jones looks to be ferocious when finishing at the rim. Lydon supplies a little bit of both the perimeter and inside play.
With what we currently have, I think Jones fits in the best for the 2015 class. Now when you consider we'd likely have a junior Roberson with Johnson and Gbinije potentially seeing minutes at the 3 in 2015, it may be a tough sell to Jones. But if he isn't all about the one-and-done life, and is willing to develop his game for a year, he would have a legitimate chance to break out in his sophomore year (similar to the role Grant has played his first two seasons.) I'd have to think it is likely between us and Kentucky for Jones, so it really could come down to if he wants immeadiate playing time or if he is willing to wait his turn. Considering his thin frame (Jones' coach said he's even slimmer than BJ Johnson), it may actually serve him well to be a two or three year player. But I also don't have any doubt he could contribute day one. I don't know where we stand with Jones since it seems like we are more focused on Diagne and one of Bryant/Howard. I'm hoping we give out 5 scholarships in 2015 if we think Ennis/Grant/McCullough are gone, but it looks like it may only be four. If both Ennis and Grant leave this year, it may increase our chances of a 5 man class since McCullough would have to play a bigger role next year. I just really want to see Jones, more than any other uncommitted 2015 recruit, in Orange (could be my Philly bias kickin in though).

Not speaking from inside knowledge, but I would not expect us to take Jones. From what I've seen on him he hasn't shown me anything to suggest he'd be able to score in a half court setting. Sure he'll make the sportscenter top 10, but I think JB has moved away slightly from players that excel in "transition" to players that can do multiple things well (Lydon, Malachi, Diagne) -- in fact both he and Hopkins have said this in interviews. Unless Jones has a Jerami Grant type growth spurt and gets to about 6'9/6'10, I would doubt we ever see him in a Syracuse uniform.

D. Jones is still taking names. 24 points and 13 rebounds as he helps propel Archbishop Carroll into the semi finals of Philadelphia's Catholic League with a 20 point victory. Carroll has won their last 5 games, all in league play to finish strong.

I understand he is still a possibility as far as recruiting goes, but from the previous highlight reels I have seen, he oozes athleticism more than showing "he's got game". Have you, or Francis, or AWMKY seen or heard much different this season? Ultimately it may matter more about how coachable he is and if he is team-first or not.
(I have not posted in a long time but read the board every day and I ALWAYS appreciate your and others inputs! And glad you're back Tee...hope everything is going well for you!). LGO!!!!

Jones is a player I would love to see in orange... That being said I'm not really sure if there is a spot for him here. :(

Jones is a player I would love to see in orange... That being said I'm not really sure if there is a spot for him here. :(
Why? Because of limited game? Or roster spots? Or something else?