Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

I understand he is still a possibility as far as recruiting goes, but from the previous highlight reels I have seen, he oozes athleticism more than showing "he's got game". Have you, or Francis, or AWMKY seen or heard much different this season? Ultimately it may matter more about how coachable he is and if he is team-first or not.
(I have not posted in a long time but read the board every day and I ALWAYS appreciate your and others inputs! And glad you're back Tee...hope everything is going well for you!). LGO!!!!
Thanks, man much appreciated. :)
Yeah, never got a chance to see him except highlight clips. Most of our targets, I usually see at least a handful of complete games but not a full one of Jones yet. Very athletic, seems to put up good rebounding numbers, but just not sure how well he'd hold up on the wing for us. I always hoped he'd project as a big guard for us, but I wonder about his perimeter game too. Talking about a tweener!

I always saw him as a Vince Carter type, but it's so hard to tell when he plays the 3 or 4 in high school at 6'5 or so. Some of my hesitations are based on our current system and how the current and recent players fit into it. Malachi, Lydon, obviously Hammer and Kaleb just make sense as to where they will fit in. But still, we do have guys like BJ and MikeG who's roles are still not yet fully defined. Although G has played a decent amount of point, due to demand, he's slid back onto the wing.

Jones, such an enigma and he's going to be exciting wherever he goes, but all seems so quiet on his recruiting front right now.

Jones is a player I would love to see in orange... That being said I'm not really sure if there is a spot for him here. :(

if you check out the excellent chart pinned up top i think that small forward is our thinnest spot. only bj johnson listed on that roster.

I understand he is still a possibility as far as recruiting goes, but from the previous highlight reels I have seen, he oozes athleticism more than showing "he's got game". Have you, or Francis, or AWMKY seen or heard much different this season? Ultimately it may matter more about how coachable he is and if he is team-first or not.
(I have not posted in a long time but read the board every day and I ALWAYS appreciate your and others inputs! And glad you're back Tee...hope everything is going well for you!). LGO!!!!

I hear what I see in passing on Twitter and from the main men Francis03 and tee1222.

I like this kid because from what I've seen he plays with no sense of fear. Will go to the basket and try to destroy anyone in his way - and having another lefty in the rotation wouldn't be bad either.

Haven't seen any of his HS games this season, but from what I've read he has mainly played the PF position for his team. Usually you'll read about an amazing dunk and such but I hardly ever read anything about an improved perimeter game. I said before that if he grows into a 6'8 wing then sign him up, but a 6'6 180 PF hmmmm not too sure about that. He'll definitely be a good get for somebody, but I don't think it'll be for us.

Haven't seen any of his HS games this season, but from what I've read he has mainly played the PF position for his team. Usually you'll read about an amazing dunk and such but I hardly ever read anything about an improved perimeter game. I said before that if he grows into a 6'8 wing then sign him up, but a 6'6 180 PF hmmmm not too sure about that. He'll definitely be a good get for somebody, but I don't think it'll be for us.
Do you see a lot of Dayshawn Wright in him?

Do you see a lot of Dayshawn Wright in him?
Wright was bigger physically and built like a defensive end, while Jones is pretty much a string bean. Jones is much more athletic and has much more upside imo. Right now the best comparison to Jones I would say is Glenn Bryant from Eastern Michigan, who we recruited once years ago. For those that have seen the EMU/SU matchups the past 2 seasons know how much of an athletic freak Bryant is. Problem for Bryant coming out of HS was that he was only 6'6 just like Jones, and lacked any perimeter game and scored most of his points inside the paint.

Just a little too much like Harris. He has a SF body, but the game of a PF, just like Harris. JB wants a SF with a 3PT threat. Lydon is a much better fit in this spot, and that's why JB & Hop went for Lydon and got him.

Just a little too much like Harris. He has a SF body, but the game of a PF, just like Harris. JB wants a SF with a 3PT threat. Lydon is a much better fit in this spot, and that's why JB & Hop went for Lydon and got him.

Thx - you answered my question before I asked it.

Lots of folks saying he would not fit in with how JB is recruiting now. If so, why are we still recruiting him? I assume it's because JB likes him and sees him as a fit for the team. Otherwise, why would we be wasting valuable recruiting time on him?

Lots of folks saying he would not fit in with how JB is recruiting now. If so, why are we still recruiting him? I assume it's because JB likes him and sees him as a fit for the team. Otherwise, why would we be wasting valuable recruiting time on him?

I think the class is so far away from signing day you never ever stop going to early. So many things could happen that opens up addtional slots, transfers, a kid does something that gets them removed from the team, a kid could jump to the league we aren't expecting, there are a million scenarios where things could go wrong and open a slot, including decomitts from our current group or being unable to land diagne/Bryant and then taking a guy like Jones instead.

I don't think JB wouldnt want Jones under any circumstances, but probably not as his #1 option given all that remains available to us.

If he demonstrates some touch from the perimeter, I'm all in.

After these past couple years, the last thing SU needs is someone who shows "some touch from the perimeter" in HS BB. I want them to own it, like Richardson does. SU needs long range shooters in the worst way! I so want SU to be able to start one shooter, and be able to bring two in off the bench. So many other teams can do it, why can't the Orange?

So what's the deal with Mr. Jones. Next to Moose he's arguably the most interested in Syracuse.

This kid has offers from Kentucky, Kansas and Arizona yet appears to be bleeding Orange.

Is Syracuse waiting for a mid range/perimeter game to appear?

So what's the deal with Mr. Jones. Next to Moose he's arguably the most interested in Syracuse.

This kid has offers from Kentucky, Kansas and Arizona yet appears to be bleeding Orange.

Is Syracuse waiting for a mid range/perimeter game to appear?
If he called JB tonight and wanted to commit, I'm sure JB would accept. Last I heard was that the family wanted to visit a few more schools before making a decision.

If he called JB tonight and wanted to commit, I'm sure JB would accept. Last I heard was that the family wanted to visit a few more schools before making a decision.
Francis, the one or two times they show his blocks on that philly site, in the loss recently, DJ had 5 blocks. Imagine him at the top of the zone.

Francis, the one or two times they show his blocks on that philly site, in the loss recently, DJ had 5 blocks. Imagine him at the top of the zone.
His coaches say that he has more perimeter skills than he has shown, but has to play in the post out of necessity. Haven't seen any real guard skills from the games I've evaluated him in yet, but we'll see how things are progressing as he hits into the AAU/Camp season.

His coaches say that he has more perimeter skills than he has shown, but has to play in the post out of necessity. Haven't seen any real guard skills from the games I've evaluated him in yet, but we'll see how things are progressing as he hits into the AAU/Camp season.
Man, I hope they're right and that he shows the ability to play the 2, put it on the floor, shoot and defend on the perimeter more at the next level. What a 2 he would make.