Class of 2015 - Derrick Jones | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Derrick Jones

If this kid really is the stated 6'8", we may need to take a bigger look. Not saying we stopped recruiting him, but it has definitely gotten quieter on his recruiting front. But at that size, he is more the prototypical wing for SU and his ball handling wouldn't be the biggest issue because he wouldn't have to play guard. Not comparing him to Kris Joseph's, but before his hard work his ball handling and shooting as a freshman were terrible.

To be completely honest, as much potential as Jones apparently has, I'd actually prefer that we take harder looks at guys whose skills are more developed. It feels like we've taken a few too many guys seemingly based solely on potential lately.

JB is rumored to retire after 2015-2016 campaign. Maybe this class is overstocked in the hopes of loading up for one final shot? This kid, in every video anyone has ever posted, has shown ruthlessness at the rim. We need that!

After what happened this year with our lack of offense I would not be inclined to take a guy like Jones who is just an athletic freak at this point without much of an offensive game, but since our 2015 class right now seems to be filled with more offensively skilled players who can score in multiple ways I wouldn't mind taking a freak athlete to compliment these guys and create havoc on the break and hopefully on defense.

D Jones massacre starts at 1:20. Doesn't look like he cares about anyone in his path and it's awesome.

They have one scholarship left and by extending an offer to Govan I think is a clear indication the coaching staff wants a center for the remaining 2015 spot. The only way I see two scholarship spots is if DC is forced to retire because of his knee injury. But before he gets to that point I bet he red shirts next year first. So he will most likely be a scholarship player in 2015.

That leaves only someone going to the NBA after next season as the way to get Jones. Roberson and McCull are probably the only two capable of such a feat. So Jones may not be out of the picture yet but we may not know until the end of the upcoming season. I think Jones will end up at UCONN on some place first. No kid with Jone's talent and natural abilities is going to wait for a scholarship on the hope someone leaves early for the NBA.

Not sure we can make that statement 2014 recruit #5 ranked Miles Turner waited until a few days ago to commit to Texas. Many recruits wait until after their senior season to be recruited longer and see the full landscape before they make thier commitment. Syracuse is in an odd situation where they have a lot of guys locked up. Not many others do.

I'm just not nearly as impressed with Bryant/Diagne/Silva as I am with Jones. I think Diagne's the best option of the three but he's just not a stud. Jones is 6'8 now and has the frame to be 6'9/6'10 when he hits Syracuse.

We'll still have Obokoh and Coleman, i know thats not sufficient, but I just think Jones is going to tear up CBB.

My god.

I really don't get why people aren't higher on Jones.

He seems like Jerami Grant with more upside and better in transition.

Some of those clips are HAK-like. I like it very much.

I like this Jones big time. He has to be one of the quickest and explosive leapers coming out of high school in recent memory. He showed a few moves with the ball which leads me to think he has a bit more upside than Grant. Impressive seeing this skinny kid trying punish the rim and other players. Reminds me a little of Vince Carter H.S. highlights.

Last edited:
If Jones is really 6-8 it changes things for me. If he is still growing it really changes things. If he could get to 6-9 or better before hitting campus he would give us a lot of front line versatility as a high energy athletic guy who could play any of the 3 front line spots in a pinch. Purely as a wing player I'm not so hot on him although his athletic ability is amazing and he has a good nose for the ball he lacks the skills IMO to really be consistently effective as a wing scorer. I'd also note that I haven't seen him really develop skills over the period we have been recruiting him. If he is big enough to play the 4 or the 5 for us then its a different situation and he could be very valuable.

My god.

I really don't get why people aren't higher on Jones.

He seems like Jerami Grant with more upside and better in transition.

I have no problem with a guy like jones but you have to have the one on one scorers around him as in 3. I love 4th scoring options like cooney and jerami grant last year, but they are best used as set pieces around 3 guys who can create their own shot.

If Jones is really 6-8 it changes things for me. If he is still growing it really changes things. If he could get to 6-9 or better before hitting campus he would give us a lot of front line versatility as a high energy athletic guy who could play any of the 3 front line spots in a pinch. Purely as a wing player I'm not so hot on him although his athletic ability is amazing and he has a good nose for the ball he lacks the skills IMO to really be consistently effective as a wing scorer. I'd also note that I haven't seen him really develop skills over the period we have been recruiting him. If he is big enough to play the 4 or the 5 for us then its a different situation and he could be very valuable.
An inch or two of height difference is highly over-rated, especially at the college level. If a kid can play - a kid can play. Stevie Thompson is the ultimate example of that & his height difference delta was way more than an inch or two.

I have no problem with a guy like jones but you have to have the one on one scorers around him as in 3. I love 4th scoring options like cooney and jerami grant last year, but they are best used as set pieces around 3 guys who can create their own shot.

Seems like Richardson, Joseph, Johnson and Gbinije should all be ale to create their own shots by then. McCullough and Roberson too if they are still there.

An inch or two of height difference is highly over-rated, especially at the college level. If a kid can play - a kid can play. Stevie Thompson is the ultimate example of that & his height difference delta was way more than an inch or two.

I understand that but Stevie was guard height playing as a 3 or a guard and other than shooting jumpers he was highly skilled to go with his superior athletic ability. Jones does not have these same skills to bolster his athletic ability even though he has a few inches on Stevie. Playing a wing or perimeter position on offense you still need certain skills to be able to utilize your athletic superiority especially if you are not a good shooter. Stevie was one of the most talented one/two dribble drivers of the basketball I have ever seen. He often dribbled once, changed direction twice and was at the rim dunking which is not just skills and talent its basketball smarts and instinctive understanding of space and where the moving people in that space will be.

I understand that but Stevie was guard height playing as a 3 or a guard and other than shooting jumpers he was highly skilled to go with his superior athletic ability. Jones does not have these same skills to bolster his athletic ability even though he has a few inches on Stevie. Playing a wing or perimeter position on offense you still need certain skills to be able to utilize your athletic superiority especially if you are not a good shooter. Stevie was one of the most talented one/two dribble drivers of the basketball I have ever seen. He often dribbled once, changed direction twice and was at the rim dunking which is not just skills and talent its basketball smarts and instinctive understanding of space and where the moving people in that space will be.
Stevie also got to play with Sherm, Derrick, and Billy, Rony, Leron Ellis, Dave Johnson, a lot of talented players, who would destroy the college game today.

Seems like Richardson, Joseph, Johnson and Gbinije should all be ale to create their own shots by then. McCullough and Roberson too if they are still there.

hopefully, creating your own shot one on one isn't everyones game, it isn't something that just grows with seniority. My guess

sophmore kaleb 100% chance
senior Dajuan coleman 87% chance if he plays some next year if not but he bounces back strongly 60% chance.
Cooney 73% chance, Gbinije 70% chance
As for the rest I would put them in this order of chance to score one on one, based on skills for 015.
Howard,patterson,roberson,mccullough(highest nba potential of the rest but far away), johnson, malachi,lydon,obokoh based on their college level skillset at this point.

imo, Syracuse most fun teams are built around 1 on 1 scorers with other guys who can step up. imo, Sometimes its best to have 6th men as one on one sparks off the bench and 4th scoring options as starters.

Last edited:
hopefully, creating your own shot one on one isn't everyones game, it isn't something that just grows with seniority. My guess

sophmore kaleb 100% chance
senior Dajuan coleman 87% chance if he plays some next year if not but he bounces back strongly 60% chance.
Cooney 73% chance, Gbinije 70% chance
As for the rest I would put them in this order of chance to score one on one, based on skills for 015.
Howard,patterson,roberson,mccullough(highest potential of the rest but far away),malachi,lydon,obokoh based on their college level skillset at this point.

imo, Syracuse most fun teams are built around 1 on 1 scorers with other guys who can step up. imo, Sometimes its best to have 6th men as one on one sparks off the bench and 4th scoring options as starters.
And Mr. Johnson?