Desk-go | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Desk-go

I do not know the answer to this question, but do you (anyone) think that Dr. Gross cares enough about lacrosse to fire Desko because they are struggling at the faceoff x?

Yes and heres why, Gross nearly fired Desko when he brought in Gait to coach the womens team at a salary that made zero sense. Most assumed ( I think correctly) that if SU tanked in 08 Gait was taking over. Fortunately for us and probably Unfortunately for Gross's plan Desko won back to back Titles and that was the end of that. But now the situation is back in Gross's favor, no titles since 09, only one final four appearance since then (granted it was last years title game) and a team that right now looks like the biggest underachiever in the modern era (pre season #1 to perhaps not even making the conf tourney). If this years team ends up 5-8 which honestly isnt a strech at this point I think all bets are off.

I do not know the answer to this question, but do you (anyone) think that Dr. Gross cares enough about lacrosse to fire Desko because they are struggling at the faceoff x?

I don't think Gross will make a move simply because a few locals are grumbling about faceoffs.

However, if a bunch of boosters and former players were to express concern about the future of the program, it might get Gross' attention.

What are the chances that Desko's former teammates and players would all speak out against him?

Yes and heres why, Gross nearly fired Desko when he brought in Gait to coach the womens team at a salary that made zero sense. Most assumed ( I think correctly) that if SU tanked in 08 Gait was taking over.

Then again, Gross hired a Women's Tennis Coach at a salary that made no sense too.

While I'm as frustrated as anyone, I still think Desko gets this year and next to right things.

Then again, Gross hired a Women's Tennis Coach at a salary that made no sense too.

True but I think that was more of Gross trying to make a splash with a big national name. Gary Gait is a legend but outside of Syracuse NY and the die hard lax fan base hes not exactly a recognizable name.

I think firing John Desko is FOOLISH! But i'm putting My 3 choices 1. Gait
2. Tambroni
3. Jim Berkman

Townie great post, curious to get your thoughts on the coaching situation, Desko and where you feel the program is at.
I think that Desko has earned more time than to be let go at the end of this seasons, unless they lose out. I have always thought they could use a younger assistant coach, but I am not sure where they fit in the staff they have now. I personally think that Desko is a very good lacrosse coach and people should be careful with the names they throw out as replacements. The last thing I would want to see happen is SU chasing after success with a chain of coaches that can't produce the AD's goals. I can only think of a couple of coaches that I believe could be more successful than Desko and most of them aren't coming to SU, especially if it is to replace Desko. As for the program, it has fallen off a bit from the early 2000s. That said, no program outside of Duke has had near the success of SU in the last ten years. I have been critical of their recruiting efforts, but it seems like they are getting more aggressive on that front. I believe that the overalls depth of college lacrosse and the development of players from non-traditional areas will make it extremely difficult for SU to ever regain the dominance they once displayed.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the lacrosse teams rep off the field. Those guys party all the time. Kevin Drew got a DWI driving Desko's car. I've seen these guys at Harry's, Chuck's, etc in-season. They go hard.

It seems like Desko lets them do anything as long as they show up on-time. Maybe some more structure and discipline is needed.

Hard to believe that McGill, Ianzito and Pratt were such a huge swing.

End of the day it's wing play, ground balls, and clearing that killed the team the other night. The faceoff guys are out there on their own, no help from the wings, and as Q said, worst job of clearing by an SU team ever.

Game was still within reach into the 4th being beat 2:1 on face offs, 2:1 in shots, and getting crushed on ground balls. Without clean play and evening things up on GB's that second midfield is a liability, regardless of how good they are. They need to score 4 out of 5 times out there because they are a liability on defense on top of the sloppy play right on defense and between the boxes.

I know things haven't been great this year overall and over the past few with faceoffs, but you want to replace Desko with Dan Sheehan? I like Danny, i think he has done a great job at Lemoyne and should be on top of the list for Cornell (even thought he told me he is not interested) but I think SU is too big of a leap for him and he isn't flashy enough for Dr. gross. If they are going to replace Desko it better be with a headliner, not a D2 or D3 coach.

nah I don't want them to replace Desko with Danny. Was just sayin. But I don't really have much of a problem promoting a multiple championship D2 or D3 coach to Head guy. Pressler went from OWU to Duke. He won a lot of games at OWU and took them to 3 National Championship (during the Hobart era). It's gotta be a guy who's won a lot at that level - sorta like Tressler. Sheehan would meet the criteria but yeah it's a big jump from LeMoyne to Syracuse.

A superior program that out resources others a la Bama in football should not be consistently embarrassed at faceoff or any other aspect of the game as Syracuse has been.

Time for Desk-go. This is a growing sport we need a foothold in and we are being embarrassed of late.

That's over the top.

Guy has earned a lot more rope than that.

That's over the top.

Faceoffs have been issue going on 6 years now, at what point should we expect them to be fixed? 2022?

GoSU96 said:
That's over the top.

Go, this thread is about Desko not Marrone. ;)

A superior program that out resources others a la Bama in football should not be consistently embarrassed at faceoff or any other aspect of the game as Syracuse has been.

Time for Desk-go. This is a growing sport we need a foothold in and we are being embarrassed of late.

hey folks - Rasheed here from Laxpower - i'm also a huge Virginia guy but have enormous respect for the Mighty Cuse. I fell in love with the game as a kid watching Tim Nelson and Brad Kotz - but growing up in Charlottesville i watched Roddy Marino and the guys under Ace Adams...At any rate, we (the Cavs) didn't make the playoffs last year. We didn't suck - but things didn't go our way. The Hoos have had far more problems on field and off, but the school/fans stuck by Dom. And i think it was wise. I know that Dom has as about as much respect for Desko as he does for any coach. My point is, sometimes in games and seasons, happens. But that's no reason to throw your coach under the bus. My God, you all just played for the national championship! And spare me on the "Desko always has great talent, he should do well every year" BS. Same can be said for Dom and Breschi for God sakes. Thank God none of us are UNC. The kicker is that i bet you all turn it around and make it to the final four...and then beat the Hoos as you usually seem to do come tourney time...just our luck :)

That's over the top.

You are closer to it than I so you would know better.

But the consistency of excellence has been far too inconsistent of late...and while there is parity and we did reach the final game last year, it just feels like the program has lost something. And that had not been on the support or resources end like football atrophied from.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the lacrosse teams rep off the field. Those guys party all the time. Kevin Drew got a DWI driving Desko's car. I've seen these guys at Harry's, Chuck's, etc in-season. They go hard.

It seems like Desko lets them do anything as long as they show up on-time. Maybe some more structure and discipline is needed.
That's not a new thing on the Hill.

Are you all out of your minds? Trambroni what has he ever won?

Do you all realise what youre saying? Desko is someone that attended and played for SU, was Captain of the Lacrosse team and someone that has been involved in every single National Championship we have ever won as a a Coach and we just fire him after two losses??? did we hear the same thing in 2007?...yes......did we hear it again in 2008 & 2009?......no we didnt, infact he won coach of the year in one of those years!

Desko is and has always been a major part of the success at SU Lacrosse, someone that learnt from the best in both Roy Simmons Jr and Sr! It seems that the only downside of what I have experienced as the greatest Lacrosse fans in America is that they cant take a loss! as a Coach you and your team learn more from losing than you do from winning it gives you the chance to improve, to learn and to change things! Dont turn on the people that have always mattered and been a constant to this program get behind and support each and everyone of them we have had great pleasure over the years from this team time for us to do our part!

Anyone that thought this season and moving to the ACC was going to be easy is a fool, it will take time to adjust.

We have a great team here with some small cogs that arent yet tuned up to where they should be, time will tell, strap in, support the boys and see where it takes us! Desko deserves some loyalty from us!

If we lose Desko we lose our heritage, our link back to 83 and also a great Coach!

hey folks - Rasheed here from Laxpower - i'm also a huge Virginia guy but have enormous respect for the Mighty Cuse. I fell in love with the game as a kid watching Tim Nelson and Brad Kotz - but growing up in Charlottesville i watched Roddy Marino and the guys under Ace Adams...At any rate, we (the Cavs) didn't make the playoffs last year. We didn't suck - but things didn't go our way. The Hoos have had far more problems on field and off, but the school/fans stuck by Dom. And i think it was wise. I know that Dom has as about as much respect for Desko as he does for any coach. My point is, sometimes in games and seasons, happens. But that's no reason to throw your coach under the bus. My God, you all just played for the national championship! And spare me on the "Desko always has great talent, he should do well every year" BS. Same can be said for Dom and Breschi for God sakes. Thank God none of us are UNC. The kicker is that i bet you all turn it around and make it to the final four...and then beat the Hoos as you usually seem to do come tourney time...just our luck :)

Great post Rasheed.

'Cuse has a gifted offense, but lost a lot vital deffensive parts from last years squad. Some folks seem to forget that... You just can't replace those guys overnight.

Stay the course, go support the team in person and exhale my friends.

HHH!!

Are you all out of your minds? Trambroni what has he ever won?

Do you all realise what youre saying? Desko is someone that attended and played for SU, was Captain of the Lacrosse team and someone that has been involved in every single National Championship we have ever won as a a Coach and we just fire him after two losses??? did we hear the same thing in 2007?...yes...did we hear it again in 2008 & 2009?...no we didnt, infact he won coach of the year in one of those years!

Desko is and has always been a major part of the success at SU Lacrosse, someone that learnt from the best in both Roy Simmons Jr and Sr! It seems that the only downside of what I have experienced as the greatest Lacrosse fans in America is that they cant take a loss! as a Coach you and your team learn more from losing than you do from winning it gives you the chance to improve, to learn and to change things! Dont turn on the people that have always mattered and been a constant to this program get behind and support each and everyone of them we have had great pleasure over the years from this team time for us to do our part!

Anyone that thought this season and moving to the ACC was going to be easy is a fool, it will take time to adjust.

We have a great team here with some small cogs that arent yet tuned up to where they should be, time will tell, strap in, support the boys and see where it takes us! Desko deserves some loyalty from us!

If we lose Desko we lose our heritage, our link back to 83 and also a great Coach!
Agree to a point. BUT, it's clear that no one on this staff knows how to recruit a good FO guy, nor do they know how to develop one. So, there must be an off-season coaching change to remedy this, that is hire an assistant who knows both.

We recruited Pequigney who now plays at Towson, he transferred out after the first semester

We also recruited Connor Russell who also changed his commitment to UAlbany.

Daddio was one of the top recruits in the country hes working hard but not working out right now.

We are doing the job with recruitment, we have the #1 player in the country, we have a bunch of UA all americans. With new players and the return of injured ones we are still trying to find our feet and identity! as I said after the first game the team playing in the final game of the year will look much different than the one that started the season. I dont understand Palasek though we need him, teh kids tough can get the ball on the carpet and is a great stick handler!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom