Desko Introduces Class Of 2014-15 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Desko Introduces Class Of 2014-15

outoftownie said:
I don't understand why you continually state that there is no way this class could be good because last years class was great. Pretty much every major program has top class after top class, and this one appears to be a dud for SU. Granted not all highly rated players pan out, but I would rather take my chance with a top 5 class than the 18th. Beyond Hill and Fusco, I am not real sure about the rest of the class. I liked watching Thorpe in high school and McKinney could develop into a solid middie. I don't count D'Agostino as part of this class, but I sure am glad he is back. He was just hitting stride at the end of his freshman year.

Well, there's an ultimatum this year: Final Four or Desko is in a world of trouble.

I don't understand why you continually state that there is no way this class could be good because last years class was great. Pretty much every major program has top class after top class, and this one appears to be a dud for SU. Granted not all highly rated players pan out, but I would rather take my chance with a top 5 class than the 18th. Beyond Hill and Fusco, I am not real sure about the rest of the class. I liked watching Thorpe in high school and McKinney could develop into a solid middie. I don't count D'Agostino as part of this class, but I sure am glad he is back. He was just hitting stride at the end of his freshman year.

The days of top 3 classes year in and year out are long gone, even Duke, JHU, Maryland, UVA etc usually have an off year.

Second even in Syracuse's hey day Syracuse would routinely bring in classes that were ranked outside the top 2-3 and even top 5.

Third Syracuse brought in a ton of highly rated offensive players last year, most of which barely saw the field. With 90% of the offense returning its difficult to convince a top guy that there is going to be plenty of PT available when all three starting attackmen return plus 4 of the 6 players at the two mid field lines.

4. Not only is next years class considered a top 5 class, the top offensive player in this class Voight is taking a prep year and not coming until the fall of 2015.

There is plenty of talent and skill on the roster, this class was always going to be there to fill in the holes as necessary and we got three highly rated faceoff guys plus Hill and Barber. Theres no need to panic

Jeremy, we will have to agree to disagree. In the past five years, Umd, Duke and UVA have been in the top five at least four times. And when they weren't in the top five, they sure as hell weren't #17. That said, recruiting ranking don't mean everything (see UVA) but definitely help in the long run (see Duke). You can't compare anything beyond five years because recruiting has changed so much in the past five years. It is a whole different animal and our coaches are still catching up. Thank god they landed Hakeem Lecky a few years ago, without him we could be even further behind.

As for next years class, I would double check were they are going to end up. I don't think they are a top five class. 2016s are a different story, that class is shaping up to be outstanding. Regarding Voigt, it is a strange case. I think it is weird when the top recruit, far and away, in the class ends up not coming in when he is supposed to.

Beyond Jordan Evans, who are our offensive STARS on the roster in 2016?

Jeremy, we will have to agree to disagree. In the past five years, Umd, Duke and UVA have been in the top five at least four times. And when they weren't in the top five, they sure as hell weren't #17. That said, recruiting ranking don't mean everything (see UVA) but definitely help in the long run (see Duke). You can't compare anything beyond five years because recruiting has changed so much in the past five years. It is a whole different animal and our coaches are still catching up. Thank god they landed Hakeem Lecky a few years ago, without him we could be even further behind.

As for next years class, I would double check were they are going to end up. I don't think they are a top five class. 2016s are a different story, that class is shaping up to be outstanding. Regarding Voigt, it is a strange case. I think it is weird when the top recruit, far and away, in the class ends up not coming in when he is supposed to.

Beyond Jordan Evans, who are our offensive STARS on the roster in 2016?

The 2015 class may not be a top 5 class but there is a lot of talent there, Bomberry and Mellen are studs and O'Sullivan, Voight and Solomon are all high level O players especially Voight who is an UA All American. Also you have to keep in mind Syracuse will surely take in at least one or two OCC transfers which will infuse more offensive talent.

Would I have liked to have seen a few more highly rated offensive guys in this year class? Of course, but theres so much talent returning from not only the previous years class but guys who will be Seniors this year we simply didnt have the PT to offer.

As for the 2016 season ( I am assuming you mean the following season after this spring) you will have Jordan Evans and Dylan Donahue at attack with guys like Weston, McGinley, Thorpe, Voight, Barber (Juco will be a Sr.) Forkin, Dejoe (not the biggest fan), the Nash brothers etc.

Thats not including the offensive guys coming in that fall and any potential transfers.

Lots of Hill's ... just nobody named Warren.

SU couldn't mention him in the press release unless he was here.

Lot's of Harris'... just nobody named Vaughn.

Guess it never worked out.

Pleasantly surprised to see that Thorpe made it. He has all four years of eligibility as well which is another bonus. Barring injury or him having an incredible fall ball I assume he will redshirt.
After one year of JC do you think he will redshirt? That would push him to 6 years of college.

http://cuse.com/news/2014/9/11/MLAX_0911143220.aspx#.VBHjVfldVPd

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Head coach John Desko announced the addition of 18 student-athletes to the Syracuse men's lacrosse program on Thursday, Sept. 11.

This year's incoming class features 13 freshmen. The rookie crop is ranked 17th in Inside Lacrosse's list of the top 20 recruiting classes and features two players – No. 58 Austin Fusco and No. 60 Brad McKinney – ranked in the magazine's "Power 100."

Bolstering the group is the addition of five transfer students, including 2014 NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year Tim Barber and 2014 NJCAA Defensive Player of the Year Warren Hill from Onondaga Community College.

"There's a few that will likely play right away for us and the others we think will help us in the future," Desko said of the incoming class. "This is probably the biggest and physically strongest class, in terms of their size, that we've had at Syracuse University in a long time. There are some real physical specimens in this group."
Anyone that can dominate at the XO? Otherwise who is Desko kidding? Lets start off with himself. A big time goalie wouldn't hurt either

Well, there's an ultimatum this year: Final Four or Desko is in a world of trouble.

I don't know if there is truth to this season having a Final Four or Bust(ed) ultimatum. Yet, if it ends with a whimper the way last season ended, administrative action taken will be a good measure of how far the bar has been lowered.

To me, it comes down to a mix of the players and the coaches. To the players, how much HHH do they bring? The resurgence in 2008 and 2009 was fueled by a nice mix of local and regional players whom really cared about bringing Syracuse back to prominence.

As to the coaches, they do have to be accountable at some point. The Bryant game was just a dud of an effort all around. Completely out-coached in that one.

Syracuse Men's Lacrosse Welcomes Incoming Recruits (TNIAAM)

The Syracuse University Men's Lacrosse Team recently introduced its 2015 incoming class. The Orange made significant efforts to sure up the midfield and goalie positions as well as find a player who could potentially fix the seemingly perpetual face-off issues...
Of course that remains to be seen once the season begins with competition.

Th
Hmmmmm this is very interesting. I'm assuming he's alluding to OCC. Does he need a full semester or is this like Staats last year where he has a few loose ends to tie up and could play this spring.?
He posted that on the 1st day of OCC's Winter Session which runs until 1/13, so hopefully just tying up loose ends. Really pulling for this kid to make it to SU, not only because of his potential impact but also after the tragedy of a lost loved one that he's endured.

JeremyCuse said:
Feel bad for the kid, as someone mentioned he must have been trying to get something done during that last OCC winter session to try and get into Syracuse late.

OCC kids. Roll of the dice.

OCC kids. Roll of the dice.

Always a gamble, the talent is usually so good though its worth the gamble. Just look at the last two years, Staats, Hill, Barber. top notch guys.

Stinks but it happens. A good thing lacrosse isn't scholarship driven. Plenty of spots!

Very sad. He has been through a lot with the death of his girlfriend and her mother in a tragic car accident. Even if he had been a great student that would have been a significant hurdle to overcome. It is not easy to study in the midst of grief. I certainly hope for the best for him.

Feel bad for the kid, as someone mentioned he must have been trying to get something done during that last OCC winter session to try and get into Syracuse late.