Devendorf Sighting... | Syracusefan.com

Devendorf Sighting...

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
...at the Melo center. Working out multiple times a week shooting around. Maybe gearing up for the newly formed Syracuse pro-am team?

I thought he was persona non grata around the Hill with all the crap that surrounded him while he was here.

...at the Melo center. Working out multiple times a week shooting around. Maybe gearing up for the newly formed Syracuse pro-am team?

I thought he was persona non grata around the Hill with all the crap that surrounded him while he was here.

He's been to a number of games over the years, sitting with his daughter and other times with other ex-SU players.

Devo is an interesting character. I've heard anecdotes which portray him as an absolute thug (e.g. throwing stools across Chucks in bar fights), and other anecdotes which portray him as a very polite down-to-earth gentleman.

Devo is an interesting character. I've heard anecdotes which portray him as an absolute thug (e.g. throwing stools across Chucks in bar fights), and other anecdotes which portray him as a very polite down-to-earth gentleman.

As someone who was present for the first part of your post, I can verify that as fact.

I have no issues with the guy. Was just wondering what his perception was like from the program. I'm guessing forgive and move on is the key here.

Devo's just a great guy. Hung out with him a few times during my time up on the hill as he was two years younger than me. He showed up to a party my friends hosted without being invited. He was no different than me at the time. Someone in their early 20's who liked to have fun/party, but at the same time you could tell he was extremely friendly and loyal to anyone that's a good person.

It seems very difficult for a kid to be permanently persona non-grata in JBs world. He seems to understand kids make mistakes in their younger years. I even think I saw Louie McCroskey came back for one of the fantasy camps a year or two ago if that gives you an indication. Hopefully Eric finishes up what he has left to get his degree.

I remember seeing an interview from Devo as he was gearing up for the 2009 NBA draft. I was surprised by how soft-spoken, thoughtful, and articulate he was.

Because the only other frame of reference we have on these players [for the most part] is interviews after games, when they're sweaty / amped up, and maybe not presenting themselves in the best way.

I think he is a smarter kid than most realize [and certainly moreso than how he comes across with the on-court antics and tattoos] but one who made some dumb choices and put himself in a LOT of bad situations. But it sounds like having children matured him [as it rightfully should have], and that he's doing a lot of the right things now. Hope he can continue to draw a paycheck to play hoops, and that his announcing career has some legs so he can establish himself when his playing days are over.

Last edited:
SU invited him to the pre-game party at the student center for the Duke game last year, so he is definately welcomed by the university. I met and chatted with him for a few minutes and he seems like a reall nice dude. He signed autographs and took pictures for about 2 hours for fans.

Eric15 said:

I wonder if alcohol has anything to do with the bad stories.

Or just youth.

I'm glad he moved on when he did, but I loved his game. Last year's team could have used him.

Met him and LM at the Indiana game last year. He was very friendly, and took time to pose for a picture, while trying to keep an eye on his daughter.

1451947_10152433330143452_1799002035_n.jpg

Last edited:
Devo aside, kudos Hak for the first correct spelling of "sighting" that I've seen since we moved to the new board!

I wonder if alcohol has anything to do with the bad stories.

Or just youth.

I'm glad he moved on when he did, but I loved his game. Last year's team could have used him.

Impulse control problems can be dangerous when alcohol is involved. When off the court and sober, the kid impressed a lot of people with his kindness (especially with kids).

I wish we'd made him the focus of our offense in 2006. That said, I prefer players who try on defense (Syracuse fans' inconsistency on this is rather curious).

SU invited him to the pre-game party at the student center for the Duke game last year, so he is definately welcomed by the university. I met and chatted with him for a few minutes and he seems like a reall nice dude. He signed autographs and took pictures for about 2 hours for fans.

I met him there as well and he seemed very down to earth. Just about all college aged kids (young adults) make some dumb choices, even more so when alcohol is involved. The majority of these kids end up maturing and becoming productive members of society. The only thing that kept most of us from being headlines of stupidity when we were in college was the fact that we were just students, not student-ATHLETES.

Devo was one of my favorite players ever here. Loved the swagger. Wish we could bottle his confidence/heart and give it to all our guys. Saw him hit the 3 live at the end of regulation in the 6 OT game, get up on the table, thump his chest and scream. One of my fav SU moments.

I loved Devo's swagger, as much as a non-SU fan probably hated it. He was a ton of fun to watch during the 2009 BET. And boy, do I miss his ability to drive the lane and knock down 3s.
Agree about his offensive game.
Loved it.
Can't knock his defense because he never played it so there's nothing to knock.

Nothing personal, but I detest "swagger" and anything related to it.
Self-aggrandizing, boorish behavior isn't fun.
It's embarrassing.
It makes me wonder how real greats managed without "swagger."
How could Oscar Robertson possibly have averaged a triple double without beating his chest or mugging & thugging for the camera?

On court demeanor is another reason I liked CJ Fair and Tyler Ennis so much.

A lot of times swagger and heart are correlated though. I think one of the areas our teams have been lacking over the last 10-15 years is heart. I feel like we get out hustled all the time. Not saying Devo hustled, because he didn't, but in general I would take swagger/heart combo over the quiet type any day. My fav CJ Fair moment was the stare down he gave Porter after dunking in his face in the Big East Semis. If he could have harnessed that attitude just a little more, he could have been one one of the all time greats here, instead of just the really good player he was.

It seems very difficult for a kid to be permanently persona non-grata in JBs world. He seems to understand kids make mistakes in their younger years. I even think I saw Louie McCroskey came back for one of the fantasy camps a year or two ago if that gives you an indication. Hopefully Eric finishes up what he has left to get his degree.
He graduated, in 4 years

One of my top 5 favorite Cuse players, and certainly one of the most underrated. Maybe the best "off hand" finish we've had here.

Agree. And as an eye witness to the chucks incident, i think he may have thrown the chair lefty too...

As was said earlier, this team could have beenfitted from having a guy like Devo around last year, especially at the end of games. I also count that three at the end of regulation in the 6OT game and the antics that followed it as one of the most memorable moments in my tenure as an Orange fan. Again, as others have said, I love the way the young man has matured since leaving SU. Even considering his past antics(and maybe more so because of them), I think it's safe to say he could be pointed to as a good role model for any of us. Glad to see him return to the fold with SO much love, the same way DC did after his intial post-SU feelings. Forgiveness is an amazing thing.